Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 1, 2010 4:13:56 PM

Looking for build advice if someone out there is a bit bored this afternoon ;) 

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week

BUDGET RANGE: 1200-1500$ CAD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers,

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Looking to buy from NCIX.com because Im Canadian and would like to get it assembled by them as well.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intell, Nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

Im trying to put together a Intel i5 760 + GTX 460 SLI build just for gaming. Currently have a 1920x1080 monitor but probably will upgrade in the future. I want this thing to last me for a few years. Also am going to need an OS.

One last note, I am somewhat knowledgeable about computers, however I would prefer to have some good advice from here and also have it built by NCIX so i dont have to worry about that stuff.

Thanks in advance

More about : advice gaming build

a b C Monitor
September 1, 2010 6:39:26 PM

I don't recommend starting a build with SLI/Crossfire. You build yourself into a corner in terms of upgrades. I'd start with a single massive GPU to start with. Also, I'd avoid Intel right now if you can help it. The LGA 1156 socket is being replaced in a few months (supposedly before year end) and the LGA 1366 is right behind.

Here's what I'd look at (prices/links to Newegg.com, so find them in Canada):

CPU/Optical: X4 955 $150
Mobo: Asus M489GTD Pro/USB3 $140
RAM: G.Skill Eco 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $99. Or the Ripjaws with the same specs, if they're significantly cheaper.
GPU: HD 5970 $650
HDD: Samung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $60 with promo code
PSU: XFX 850W $130 after rebate. Or the equivalent Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic or Silverstone. Whichever is cheapest.
Case: HAF 922 $90
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20ish. Get the cheapest one you can find.

Total: $1,439

I have no idea what that will translate to in Canadian dollars. Prices up there are always strange. If it's not in budget, I can make some tweaks.
m
l
!