Problems with Office Applications

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.excel (More info?)

Hi all.
I have what appears to be an problem with Internet Explorer and Office
specifically Excel.

We are having the problem on Windows 2k/XP systems running IE 6.0 with
Office 2000. The problem appears to only happen to Excel. What happens
is that whenever we click on an Excel document through IE it passes the
request off to Excel and Excel attempts to fetch the document. This
would not be a problem except that the site that the documents are being
served from requires authentication thus when Excel goes to fetch the
document it reprompts the user for authentication information. Since
the site has a propritary authentication mechanisim the basic
authentication does not work. I have gone through all the registry
settings and cannot find where the problem could be. Does anyone have
any insight as to what is happening?

Thanks all
~Todd

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.excel (More info?)

it's a file extension. change the association.

right?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.excel (More info?)

Maybe I am missing what your meaning by change the association.
Currently this is what happens.

1 - Person logs into web site
2 - Person clicks on XLS document.
3 - IE hands off XLS document to Excel.
4 - Excel attempts to fetch the document itself however doesn't posess
the authentication credentatls too fetch the document therefore prompts
for them. The design of the application does not provide for this so
the user is presented with a not authorized error.

Now. The only way I can think of solving this is to have IE always
prompt the user to save the document -- but they can click on the little
checkbox and say not do this and we are back to the same problem. I
have gone through the registry. I have search google and I am not
having any luck. So here I be.

~Todd

aaron.kempf@gmail.com wrote:
> it's a file extension. change the association.
>
> right?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.excel (More info?)

I believe that you can set the file association in the registry pretty
easily.

Just set the file association to have it save the file instead of
opening it in IE-- that drives me crazy I wish that IE would never
'open stuff in IE' personally

-aaron

aaron.kempf@gmail.com wrote...
>I believe that you can set the file association in the registry pretty
>easily.
>
>Just set the file association to have it save the file instead of
>opening it in IE-- that drives me crazy I wish that IE would never
>'open stuff in IE' personally

And if the remote server still insists on authentication for download,
how would this help? You obviously didn't think this through. (THERE'S
A CHANGE . . . NOT!) When IE opens files on remote sites, what do you
believe happens behind the scenes? IE downloads the file to Temporary
Internet Files, and opens the copy there. Do you believe the remote
server checks whether files being accessed on it are downloaded to a
temporary or persistent location on the remote client's machine?!

The OP needs to figure out how to provide user authentication in
background or how to move the needed files to a different directory on
the remote site or a different site entirely that won't require user
authentication. Playing around with the commandline tool wget is all I
can think of to find out how to do this in background.