Portfolio websites - What is important?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 1, 2005 7:36:18 PM

When putting together a portfolio website for yourself, or paying for
one, what do you consider the most important features to have?

Some I have already thought of are:

- Easily updatable gallery. Obvious I know, but usually it's a pain
adding new photos. They should all be resized with good quality and
thumbnails made.

- Categorisation system in the gallery. Black & White, Portraits etc.

- Comments system. So people can leave feedback on photos etc. This
should have options for moderation etc. so undesirable comments aren't left.

- Photo selling. Visitors should be able to easily and quickly contact
you to be able to buy prints etc. of any photo in the gallery.

- Password protection. So if you want to hide a gallery for only clients
to view, or friends and family the public can't see it.

- Template system. So that the layout and graphics can be changed
occassionally without having to fiddle with HTML code.

- News section. For details of events, offers etc.

- Custom pages. The ability to create custom pages, for outlining things
such as extra services you offer, pricing etc.

Anyone got anything more to add to the list?
January 1, 2005 7:36:19 PM

FF wrote:

> When putting together a portfolio website for yourself, or paying for
> one, what do you consider the most important features to have?
>
> Some I have already thought of are:

That's a good list and I've dealt with pretty much all of those issues
to some degree in designing my own site even though I rarely sell
photos, I use them more for promotional material for my work & as a
hobby. Maybe reading my experience will give you some idea of how much
work it is to do something cutom like this. I'm pretty much an ameteur
programmer/hobbyist who took one community college course in PHP
programming. I think it's worth doing to have complete control if you
have the inclination.

http://www.edgehill.net/1

> - Easily updatable gallery. Obvious I know, but usually it's a pain
> adding new photos. They should all be resized with good quality and
> thumbnails made.

I have to resize the pictures & create a 'thumbs' folder manually though
this could be automated with more time spent coding. I can optionally
add a index.txt file for descriptive text for each gallery which can
include html. I can add a title.txt file to clean up the raw folder name
with spaces & capitalization.

> - Categorisation system in the gallery. Black & White, Portraits etc.

Everything is determined by how you place pics in nested folders.

I've also just added the ability to create shortcut links so that I have
my full galleries of various chronological shooting sessions but above
that, I can make shortcut galleries of the best pictures. The shortcuts
can be placed in any arrangement of folders. By default the
'administrator's interface' lets me click a button while browsing a
gallery and creates a text file one folder up in the format
link-imagename.txt. Those can be moved & rearranged & when reviewing the
link collection I can click a button to delete one quickly.

A couple problems I have is no way to sort the shortcuts, they are atuck
sorting alphanumerically by file name. Collections of sub-gallery
folders are unsorted (based on file date) I'll need to spend more time
coding to fix these issues.

> - Comments system. So people can leave feedback on photos etc. This
> should have options for moderation etc. so undesirable comments aren't
> left.

I don't have any moderation but I haven't got hardly any comments in the
few weeks since I added that feature. It would be easy to have them set
aside until I approve them and manually activate them since I get an
email notification for each comment though having a custom web based
approval process would be more work & I don't have a proper secure login
system (more below about that).

Comments are tacked onto the bottom of the annotation which I create
with a slightly different 'administrator's interface' when running it
locally so that it creates simple text files in the format imagename.txt

> - Photo selling. Visitors should be able to easily and quickly contact
> you to be able to buy prints etc. of any photo in the gallery.

I don't have a shopping cart or anything but I think it can be done
through paypal pretty easily. The email contact page works from the web
without the need for an email client. Comments can be sent as private
messages also with a link to the picture they are commenting on.

> - Password protection. So if you want to hide a gallery for only clients
> to view, or friends and family the public can't see it.

I've got a sort of fudgy way to do this using password protected folders
which require tedious manual setup though it is quite secure there are
some odd things. I simply haven't learned to deal with cookies &
sessions yet.

> - Template system. So that the layout and graphics can be changed
> occassionally without having to fiddle with HTML code.

Yes, I set it all up with PHP server side programming so the headers,
footers, menus, formatting are all easily changed & updated throughout.

> - News section. For details of events, offers etc.
>
> - Custom pages. The ability to create custom pages, for outlining things
> such as extra services you offer, pricing etc.

My system is pretty simple. If a folder doesn't contain pictures I can
still put an index.txt file & it will read like a plain web page within
the gallery layout. It would be easy to add a news section which is more
customized for this. You could have a really advanced customizable setup
using open source programs like 'phpbb' or similar blogging software &
'gallery'. All very customizable, it was too many features for my needs
though & too involved for me to be able to make custom modifications
because of the complexity of the code but I suppose you could hire
someone to set it up & have a very fancy site with database driven
galleries & news & membership logins all automated.

> Anyone got anything more to add to the list?
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 11:15:14 PM

In article <41d6d183$0$24434$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
FF <nospam@spamsspiders.com> wrote:

> Anyone got anything more to add to the list?

- Server speed/throughput.

My stuff is currently hosted by a system that is, for all intents and
purposes, on the far end of a soda straw. :(

It is strictly an amateur site, and my friend is hosting it for FREE, so I
have NO complaint - but there it is.

I have had several comments that it is SOOOOOO slow. Of course, I am getting
what I am "paying" for.

:)
JR
Related resources
January 2, 2005 1:46:24 AM

Keep in mind, you can sign up for a hosting company for very little then do
everything yourself and make the site EXACTLY on how you want it. There are
programs that will resize images for you, make thumbnails, make an HTML web
style sheet for you and then even upload them for all in one shot. You of
course can edit the HTML to accommodate your own graphics and style.

Managing your photos and interacting with your hosting site is easy and
easily learned if you don't know how to do it. I recommend it that way.

"FF" <nospam@spamsspiders.com> wrote in message
> When putting together a portfolio website for yourself, or paying for
> one, what do you consider the most important features to have?
>
> Some I have already thought of are:
>
> - Easily updatable gallery. Obvious I know, but usually it's a pain
> adding new photos. They should all be resized with good quality and
> thumbnails made.
>
> - Categorisation system in the gallery. Black & White, Portraits etc.
>
> - Comments system. So people can leave feedback on photos etc. This
> should have options for moderation etc. so undesirable comments aren't
left.

> - Photo selling. Visitors should be able to easily and quickly contact
> you to be able to buy prints etc. of any photo in the gallery.
>
> - Password protection. So if you want to hide a gallery for only clients
> to view, or friends and family the public can't see it.
>
> - Template system. So that the layout and graphics can be changed
> occassionally without having to fiddle with HTML code.
>
> - News section. For details of events, offers etc.
>
> - Custom pages. The ability to create custom pages, for outlining things
> such as extra services you offer, pricing etc.
>
> Anyone got anything more to add to the list?
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:42:12 PM

FF <nospam@spamsspiders.com> wrote:

>When putting together a portfolio website for yourself, or paying for
>one, what do you consider the most important features to have?

I'd suggest learning to do it yourself rather than paying somebody. My main
goals were simplicity of design, ease of maintenance, and having plain html
pages that were generated for me. I wrote my own generators so that I
wouldn't have to maintain a bunch of ever-changing links.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

I agree with Michael. If at all possible do it yourself. More control over
image quality, style, size etc.

This is how I did it: http://www.atom-it.net

Paul

"Michael" <xman@thedripper.com> schreef in bericht
> Keep in mind, you can sign up for a hosting company for very little then
do
> everything yourself and make the site EXACTLY on how you want it. There
are
> programs that will resize images for you, make thumbnails, make an HTML
web
> style sheet for you and then even upload them for all in one shot. You of
> course can edit the HTML to accommodate your own graphics and style.
>
> Managing your photos and interacting with your hosting site is easy and
> easily learned if you don't know how to do it. I recommend it that way.
>
> "FF" <nospam@spamsspiders.com> wrote in message
> > When putting together a portfolio website for yourself, or paying for
> > one, what do you consider the most important features to have?
> >
> > Some I have already thought of are:
> >
> > - Easily updatable gallery. Obvious I know, but usually it's a pain
> > adding new photos. They should all be resized with good quality and
> > thumbnails made.
> >
> > - Categorisation system in the gallery. Black & White, Portraits etc.
> >
> > - Comments system. So people can leave feedback on photos etc. This
> > should have options for moderation etc. so undesirable comments aren't
> left.
> >
> > - Photo selling. Visitors should be able to easily and quickly contact
> > you to be able to buy prints etc. of any photo in the gallery.
> >
> > - Password protection. So if you want to hide a gallery for only clients
> > to view, or friends and family the public can't see it.
> >
> > - Template system. So that the layout and graphics can be changed
> > occassionally without having to fiddle with HTML code.
> >
> > - News section. For details of events, offers etc.
> >
> > - Custom pages. The ability to create custom pages, for outlining things
> > such as extra services you offer, pricing etc.
> >
> > Anyone got anything more to add to the list?

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:13:00 PM

FF <nospam@spamsspiders.com> wrote in news:41d6d183$0$24434
$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

> When putting together a portfolio website for yourself, or paying for
> one, what do you consider the most important features to have?

Well, first you have to decide whether you want a -portfolio- or a -
gallery-.
They are/shouldbe two very different things.
You ask about a 'portfolio' but then talk about 'gallery' all through your
post. Which are you actually interested in?

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Anonymous

"Jon Pike" <Anonomoose@spamlesshotmail.com> wrote in message
> FF <nospam@spamsspiders.com> wrote in news:41d6d183$0$24434
> $cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:
>
>> When putting together a portfolio website for yourself, or paying for
>> one, what do you consider the most important features to have?
>
> Well, first you have to decide whether you want a -portfolio- or a -
> gallery-.
> They are/shouldbe two very different things.
> You ask about a 'portfolio' but then talk about 'gallery' all through your
> post. Which are you actually interested in?
>
> --
> http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

Nice examples of portfolios, [ or is it galleries :-) ] from Paul and Eric.
I really enjoyed looking at them. A great range of images, and all well
executed.

Ok Jon. I don't think know the difference, between a portfolio and a
gallery, so I hope you will go on to explain.

Thanks to all concerned.

Dennis
www.ekcc.fsnet.co.uk (East Kilbride Camera Club Image Gallery)
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 6:01:08 AM

"Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> Ok Jon. I don't think know the difference, between a portfolio and a
> gallery, so I hope you will go on to explain.

The main difference is a portfolio leaves them wanting more. A gallery
gives them too much.
A portfolio should be small, something you can give to someone as a preview
of the -very best- of all the different kinds of work you do. A gallery is
more "here's what I do, and look, here's more of it!"
For instance, if you're shooting fashion, your portfolio should contain no
more than one image of a particular girl. A gallery could have a whole
series though.

It's -kind- of a moot point though, since you shouldn't depend on a webpage
for your 'real' portfolio.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:04:57 PM

> "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> Ok Jon. I don't think know the difference, between a portfolio and a
>> gallery, so I hope you will go on to explain.
>
> The main difference is a portfolio leaves them wanting more. A gallery
> gives them too much.
> A portfolio should be small, something you can give to someone as a
> preview
> of the -very best- of all the different kinds of work you do. A gallery is
> more "here's what I do, and look, here's more of it!"
> For instance, if you're shooting fashion, your portfolio should contain no
> more than one image of a particular girl. A gallery could have a whole
> series though.
>
> It's -kind- of a moot point though, since you shouldn't depend on a
> webpage
> for your 'real' portfolio.
>
> --
> http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

Thanks Jon, seems obvious now that you explain it. :-)

Dennis
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:46:54 AM

FF <nospam@spamsspiders.com> writes:

> When putting together a portfolio website for yourself, or paying for
> one, what do you consider the most important features to have?
>
> Some I have already thought of are:
>
> - Easily updatable gallery. Obvious I know, but usually it's a pain
> adding new photos. They should all be resized with good quality and
> thumbnails made.

Tools to automatically resize and make thumbs for photos sound more like
casual photography to me. If you're displaying serious photography you
should handle each photo individually to see if it should be cropped
instead of being blindly resized. Same goes for a good thumbnail.

My own hosting site does automatic sizing and thumbnails, but it's more
oriented for casual photographers, not professionals displaying a
portfolio.

> - Comments system. So people can leave feedback on photos etc. This
> should have options for moderation etc. so undesirable comments aren't
> left.

Why would this be an important feature of a portfolio web site? When
you give people a bound portfolio, do you leave space for comments?

> - Password protection. So if you want to hide a gallery for only
> clients to view, or friends and family the public can't see it.

Password protection is arguably more secure than obscure URLs because
passwords don't end up in log files as a matter of course. However, I
think so few people practice good password security that obscure URLs
are practically the same. Additionally password protection prevents
proxy caches from doing their job, so your site may be faster if you use
obscure URLs instead.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Let your digital photos organize themselves.
Sign up today for a 7-day free trial.