Vapor-X 5770 Heat & Noise Concerns

gungniir

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Hey Everybody,

I just recently put together a new computer in a Silverstone GD-05 case. For a video card I figured I would go for something that had a cooler that was a little more built up. However, even with the added cooling my 5770 idles around 60 degrees Celcius. To get the card to running any cooler I have to push the fan up to 50+% which creates a noise which is more than I can deal with since my case is only about a yard away on the desk.

I am unfamiliar with the thermal qualities of the modern video card, my card up until a few weeks ago was a Radeon X800XL which never seemed to run quite this loud or warm.

Are these temperatures normal for a card this new? Could the problem be that the cooler exhausts warm air back out into an already cramped case?

Thanks guys. I am thinking of maybe returning this card and going to something with a cooler that quietly exhausts out the back... Any suggestions?

PS: Noise while gaming is okay... I just dont feel comfortable idling with a card this hot or a fan this loud.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hey there,

Most cards are rated to 100C.

60C is a little warm however temps under load are more important.

If temps reach 80C, then you have to look for alternatives.

Your case is an HTPC. Airflow may be a problem.

Install extra case fans to help airflow. A couple of 120mm case fans facing the card should do the trick.

Good luck.

gungniir

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Okay. I checked the temperatures under load and they peaked out at 84C. I took your advice and I am going to return this card and see if I can pick one up that has a cooler that blows out the back.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions? I am looking at a 4850 IceQ from HIS. My old card was from them and it worked great. I know a 4850 won't measure up to a 5770, but I am thinking at this point I might be going overboard. Maybe an older card will do better on heat.

EDIT:

Wow, okay that wasn't an informed statement. I just realized that the new 57xx series cards pull way less power than the old 48xx cards. So I am thinking maybe a step down to 5750 and a cooler that exhausts out the back would fit the bill.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I own a sapphire vapor-x 5770 and i say you probably got a bad card. Mine idles at 40-42C when outside it is 35C+ and inside my room is ~30C..yea.. i know but that is how it is when i let my window opened all day..pfuu..:(.

I never reached 75C at full load with the fan at 70-75%.

I would ask for a replacement. You just got a bad card.

gungniir

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Hmm... well that would be a disappointment. Although I may have got a bad card I do think that airflow is a big contributer... I have an Xfi card right up against it and the way that a GD-05 is designed there is basically no airflow to where the fan is on this card. With the .5" gap it has to breathe up against the Xfi card I am thinking it is just recycling the hot air.

Thanks for your tip though. :)

I'd have to agree --- I have the egg shaped cooler version of the sapphire 5770 and running the fan at 60% (this is still below the noise level of my other system fans) the card idles at 38C (room temp about 26C) and only gets into the mid-high 60s playing a game. Sounds like the Heatsink may not be installed properly on your card (if you have some thermal paste handy you might try removing\replacing the fan\heatsink and see if that helps)

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
If he does that he will lose the warranty unfortunately.
But you can check if the screws are tighten enough and if not, tighten them but do not scratch the PCB with the screwdriver.

I strongly suggest to not remove the heat sink yourself because of warranty.