Status
Not open for further replies.

Heart of Shadowsr

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hello I'm a first time building a pc and I've been going off of instruction manuals and have pretty much been doing alright until I got to the power supply.

I managed to hook my power supply by jpwr1 connector as the power supply doesn't have a jpwr cable.

I have the processor, ram and the like hooked and I wanted to test the processor fan so I plugged up the power supply and turned on a switch in the back and nothing happens.

My power supply is a CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX and my mobo is a MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

My ram is a WINTEC

Series
AMPX

Model
3AXH1333C9WS4GK

Type
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

My processor is a AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor.

I was wondering if this was DOA and wanted to make sure before I tried to file RMA.
Thank you.

Solution
On the JPF2 the speaker connects on the side with the 4 pins and the power LED connects to the other 3 pins (PIN-1 = Black, PIN3 = Colour).

there is nothing wrong with cutting the connector. I had to do it before.

shovenose

Distinguished
you have to have your pc system fully together (have the 24pin mobo and the extra 4/8pin cpu power hooked up) and use the power button of the case to turn on the whole thing. the psu wont turn itself on even with the switch in the back. youre supposed to leave the switch on the back of the psu on always, and use the front power button of your computer case to turn your pc on. so i would say your psu is fine

shovenose

Distinguished
i dont know exactly what its called, but one is very big and fat and has 24 pins and goes into your motherboard. i suggest you build your entire pc together before trying to test each component. then you have it all together and you can see if you did it right.

It's not that hard. Look at the PSU wiring. You are going to have a large multi-colored cable with 20+4 pins. That is the main power cable (does not matter what the MSI manual calls it). There's only one place it can go.

Then you have a 8 pin cable, 4 yellow and 4 black. It is split into two 4X4 connectors. you only need one of them. It goes in the socket in the corner by the back i/o panel, yellow wires facing the edge of the motherboard. It is for CPU power. It must be connected.

You also have two 6+2 pin (4X2) PCIe power connectors to power graphics cards. These are not interchangeable with the CPU power connector. They are wired differently.

Step by step directions:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

The following thread is primarily for troubleshooting boot problems, but the first part contains a checklist that should catch most of the noobish mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

Heart of Shadowsr

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

You were right(I just didn't know I was suppose to break the connectors apart).

I connected both wiring and it seems the power still isn't coming on.

Heart of Shadowsr

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

I made sure.

Anyway I looked through and realized I was an idiot and actually reread the books and maps until I understood.

Anyway I'm reconnecting the case connecting and I have gotta to a power led with 3 slots(the book says only a negative and a positive with space for 2 slots) and the in between the negative and positive is a empty space.

I was wondering if I was to break this empty space off so the connector would only take two spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.