New Build. $500-600 gaming machine

G

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soonish. My plan is to purchase parts over the next 2 months as money allows.

BUDGET RANGE: $500-600 before rebates. Ideally more towards $500.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, graphic work, multimedia (Hulu, Netflix streaming, dvd's)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED
: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS
: Newegg or Amazon. I'm open to other reputable stores, however.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've been leaning towards ATI and AMD because they seem to give great value for the dollar

OVERCLOCKING: Depends on your definition. I specifically chose the processor and motherboard because supposedly the combo yields a very high chance to unlock 2 additional cores.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I'm not at home at the moment, so I'm going to have to guess it's either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: All of the parts I've chosen had a big consideration before anything else: it had to be quiet. I've built one other machine and I was completely stupid about the components I chose, because the dang thing sounded like it was storming through Tokyo whenever I turned it on.
I'm extremely close to being within my budget as far as parts go, as I'm right around $630.00. I'm wondering if there are any corners that could be cut to drop me down closer to $500 though.

This seems like a pretty reasonable build for the money, but I am not particularly experienced at this so I'm throwing myself at the TH community for help.

----------PARTS----------

CASE: Antec Sonata III, includes a 500w power supply

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition

RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB)

VIDEO CARD: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5750 1GB

HARD DRIVE: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache

DVD BURNER: LITE-ON Black

CPU COOLER: ZALMAN CNPS9500

$516AR
Untitled-2325.jpg

G

batuchka, would you mind elaborating on the parts you've chosen? I'm curious why you went with the ones you did (outside of the obvious combo savings).

G

I modified the build (a lot) based on some of your recommendations. I think I've managed to trim it down by about $100 but have actually increased the performance... um... I hope. Even w/o the rebate, this brings it very close to $500.

build2.jpg

G

Well, the one thing I mentioned right at the beginning is that noise beats all, including performance if that's the way it has to be. The reviews I read of that particular 460 all pointed to it being a noisy thing.

Also, I think I should have more clearly stated that my second build is cheaper and faster than MY first build. I definitely am not qualified to say it was better than batuchka's.

batuchka, would you mind elaborating on the parts you've chosen? I'm curious why you went with the ones you did (outside of the obvious combo savings).

1. GTX 460 is a better buy than a HD 5830 currently and you do not want to know how much superior it is games wise than a HD 5750 @@

2. No worries about noise - it is the higher end Fermis (470/480) that are riddled with noise/heat/high power consumption and the GTX 460 is about the only Fermi worth getting ^^

3. Quality Mushkin DDR3 1333/CL7 and known budget AM3/OC/Unlock board? Sounds like a combos made in heaven to me :p Just ask the peeps @ Xtremesystems
http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=245020
Although an 880G/SB 710 entry lvl 800 series board, it also has a Thuban ready BIOS out of the box
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/cpu_support.php?S_ID=491
Lastly ya the sun has gone down on DDR2 platforms as all current/future platforms would be DDR3 hence do not go DDR2 for a fresh build

4. Actually performance wise Seagate 7200.12 500 / Samsung F3 500 matches the WD Black 500 hence why peeps dun go with the Black any more as it is currently overpriced