Sign in with
Your question

New Build. $500-600 gaming machine

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
September 1, 2010 5:28:15 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soonish. My plan is to purchase parts over the next 2 months as money allows.

BUDGET RANGE: $500-600 before rebates. Ideally more towards $500.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, graphic work, multimedia (Hulu, Netflix streaming, dvd's)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED
: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS
: Newegg or Amazon. I'm open to other reputable stores, however.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've been leaning towards ATI and AMD because they seem to give great value for the dollar

OVERCLOCKING: Depends on your definition. I specifically chose the processor and motherboard because supposedly the combo yields a very high chance to unlock 2 additional cores.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I'm not at home at the moment, so I'm going to have to guess it's either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: All of the parts I've chosen had a big consideration before anything else: it had to be quiet. I've built one other machine and I was completely stupid about the components I chose, because the dang thing sounded like it was storming through Tokyo whenever I turned it on.
I'm extremely close to being within my budget as far as parts go, as I'm right around $630.00. I'm wondering if there are any corners that could be cut to drop me down closer to $500 though.

This seems like a pretty reasonable build for the money, but I am not particularly experienced at this so I'm throwing myself at the TH community for help.

----------PARTS----------

CASE: Antec Sonata III, includes a 500w power supply

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition

RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB)

VIDEO CARD: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5750 1GB

HARD DRIVE: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache

DVD BURNER: LITE-ON Black

CPU COOLER: ZALMAN CNPS9500
September 2, 2010 4:55:46 AM

Why do you want DDR2 ram and that mobo?

I would go with DDR3 instead and AM3 870 series by MSI or ASUS.
September 2, 2010 9:18:53 AM

$516AR
Related resources
Anonymous
September 2, 2010 1:07:10 PM

batuchka, would you mind elaborating on the parts you've chosen? I'm curious why you went with the ones you did (outside of the obvious combo savings).
Anonymous
September 2, 2010 7:55:32 PM

I modified the build (a lot) based on some of your recommendations. I think I've managed to trim it down by about $100 but have actually increased the performance... um... I hope. Even w/o the rebate, this brings it very close to $500.

Anonymous
September 2, 2010 8:15:06 PM

Well, the one thing I mentioned right at the beginning is that noise beats all, including performance if that's the way it has to be. The reviews I read of that particular 460 all pointed to it being a noisy thing.

Also, I think I should have more clearly stated that my second build is cheaper and faster than MY first build. I definitely am not qualified to say it was better than batuchka's.
September 3, 2010 3:03:54 AM

Quote:
batuchka, would you mind elaborating on the parts you've chosen? I'm curious why you went with the ones you did (outside of the obvious combo savings).

1. GTX 460 is a better buy than a HD 5830 currently and you do not want to know how much superior it is games wise than a HD 5750 @@

2. No worries about noise - it is the higher end Fermis (470/480) that are riddled with noise/heat/high power consumption and the GTX 460 is about the only Fermi worth getting ^^

3. Quality Mushkin DDR3 1333/CL7 and known budget AM3/OC/Unlock board? Sounds like a combos made in heaven to me :p  Just ask the peeps @ Xtremesystems
http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=245020
Although an 880G/SB 710 entry lvl 800 series board, it also has a Thuban ready BIOS out of the box
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/cpu_support.php?S_I...
Lastly ya the sun has gone down on DDR2 platforms as all current/future platforms would be DDR3 hence do not go DDR2 for a fresh build

4. Actually performance wise Seagate 7200.12 500 / Samsung F3 500 matches the WD Black 500 hence why peeps dun go with the Black any more as it is currently overpriced

!