Sign in with
Your question

Building New PC, How did i do?

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2010 5:34:21 PM

My goal was to get a PC that would be able to easily play FFXIV and Diablo 3 when it comes out. I wanted FFXIV to run super smooth and i am using 42inch LCD 1080P TV as monitor. Let me know how it looks please.

Lexa-S AMD Dragon Special Edition Gaming Case

Processor-- Quad Core AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU

Processor Cooling-- Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (AMD) - Standard 120mm Fan

Memory--8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600

Video Card --NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 - 1.2GB -

Motherboard--Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16

Power Supply 700 Watt -- Standard

Hard Drive--1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive--24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

More about : building

September 1, 2010 6:16:30 PM

Alright, but not great.

First, the 965 is a more expensive, factory overclocked 955. They're technically the same, so you might as well save some money.

Second, you don't need 8 GB of RAM. 4 GB is more than enough. Also, make sure it's a decent brand (i.e. not OCZ) and has good CAS Latency (i.e. not higher than 7).

Third, nVidia isn't the best choice right now. Their cards are expensive and run overly hot. In addition, since you've got an AMD build, the board won't natively support SLI. That means no cheap upgrade path. I'd get the HD 5870 instead, but the 5850 would be good too.

Fourth, that board isn't the best choice. You could get the Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 for roughly the same, but get 8x/8x Crossfire capabilities. That would make adding a second GPU worthwhile as an upgrade, assuming you get an ATI card.

Fifth, make sure that's a good PSU brand. Stick to Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, Silverstone and XFX. Also, if you want to add a second GPU, you'll need a 650-750W unit for the HD 5850, a 750W for the HD 5870 or an 850W unit for dual 470s.

Sixth, don't bother getting a SATA III HDD. They're not much faster. I'd stick to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB.

Finally, liquid cooling is rarely worth it, especially cheap liquid cooling. Get yourself a good quality air cooler. You'll save money and get the same performance. I'd recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (if you can get it for $30), teh Sycthe SCMG-2100 at $40 or the Noctua NH-D14 if you want to go all out.
m
l
September 1, 2010 7:16:45 PM

So are you saying that build isn't going to run my games well? I was getting best I could in my budget. I didn't want to spend too much but also wanted to have a pc that would last me 2-3 years without problems.
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2010 8:23:30 PM

You should get good enough performance. It will likely struggle with a few games at max details at 1080p resolutions.

Most of my changes are either cheaper or the same price as what you have choosen. If you haven't already bought the parts, I'd change some of them out. The changes I recommended would either reduce the cost and get the same performance, increase performance for the same price, or give additional features for the same price. Nothing there would really significantly increase the overall cost of the build.
m
l
September 1, 2010 8:31:29 PM

^
|
|
|

Hes right
m
l
September 1, 2010 8:31:34 PM

^