Sign in with
Your question

Random Restarts, BSOD, other times it runs fine.

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2010 6:07:37 PM

Hey guys I'm new here and I've just purchased a new computer, but I'm having quite a bit trouble getting it running properly.

It's a custom build.

Asking for help on these forums is my second last option, besides from taking it into a store to get fixed. Which would undoubtedly negate any savings I may have made in the first place.

My rig---- everything set to defaults/stock
Intel i7 930 @ 2.8
Asrock x58 extreme motherboard
Patriot signature line ddr3 6Gb RAM kit. 1600mhZ
Ati 5750 1gb graphics card
2x Seagate HDD. 250gb & 1tb
Coolermaster case with 500 watt psu
M-Audio Delta 1010lt soundcard
Lite-on DVD burner (IDE)
Not connected to the Internet

The story
I purchased all the components just this weeken past and at first I didn't have a problem.
I initially installed windows xp 32 bit because that was the only copy of an os I had and I wanted the computer up and running.
At this stage all was well.
When I got around to buying a copy of windows 7 64bit. I then installed that.

This is where I believe my problems began.
Afterwards I installed all my drivers and two games, oblivion and crysis.
Pc ran perfectly for about a day and a half.

Then it began to restart itself during booting up.
It would get as far as the windows 7 logo (glowy balls spinning around) and it would just turn off.

At first I thought nothing of it. Allowed it to restart, ( had the option of a startup repair, I let it run, nothing to it) it booted all the way, and I continued another afternoon of playing games, installing software.

The next day it took maybe 5 goes to finally boot into windows. Sometimes it would blue screen, others it would turn on but nothing would display on the screen, and again with the resets at the windows logo.

It did finally boot properly.

I couldn't stand it anymore, I tried running recovery, startup repair, a memory scan, resetting the bios, reinstalling windows.
All of which had to be done in between random restarts, bsod etc.

I managed to get my copy of xp back on but it still does it.
Once it finally boots into windows, everything runs fine, better than ever even, it's just getting there that is the trouble.

I have no idea what it is software or hardware.

I have noticed that the bios dram isn't the same as what my ram says it should be. But I can't change the settings to those recommended on the packet. This probably isn't the issue though as I had it running quite well before I performed my first install of windows 7.

Anyway, the computer has no os at the moment.

I'm hoping there is an easy fix to this, something I've been to dumb to notice.

I'm willing to try anything now.

September 2, 2010 1:38:38 AM

I gotta get this thing running guys.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Something else I could try?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2010 2:10:23 AM

My suggestion is to treat this as a new build, and perform all the trouble-shooting steps as outlined here - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288241-31-read-postin...

Pay particular attention to the CPU voltage settings - may be too low. However, do not exceed the manufacturer's recommended max voltage. Applies to RAM voltage too.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2010 2:18:05 AM

Your RAM BIOS settings are probably on auto. You should be able to change it to manual, and change the settings.

Once you get into windows, check the event viewer to see if it logged any errors. If you've got some software crashing, it should be logging errors (red X's).

You didn't mention what memory test you did. If you didn't already, try running a memtest scan, and let it run overnight.
September 2, 2010 7:14:41 AM

I'll try to install xp again when I get home from work.

It can POST ok most of the time, easily get into bios.
It's just the transition from boot to the desktop where it has trouble.

I was having issues last night installing the os. Files were copied ok, but when The installation had to restart the computer, I came into problems again.

I don't understand how 1 out of 5 tries everything is fine.

But yeah, just a little more info there.

If I get the os working I'll grab some of that software and do a few tests.

Either way I'll report back with anything else I find.

Thanks heaps for the help so far guys.
September 2, 2010 4:24:41 PM

So far so good.

I thought about it being the memory or windows files not installing properly.

I did a flash of the bios from v2.40 to v2.50
The reason for this is because my memory wasn't being read properly and I could not change the bios to the settings which are written on the pack the memory came in.
So in hoping a flash would perhaps enable thus support, I decided to give it a go.
Well it didn't work. In fact my memory is being read at an even lower clock speed.

Although, for some reason I managed to install XP.
I performed a few test resets and shutdowns without any problems with booting into the os.

Hopefully things will continue to go well.

Next I'll install windows 7 64bit which appeared to give me the troubles in the beginning.

Wish me luck!
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2010 5:12:14 PM

Good luck!
September 3, 2010 3:28:10 AM

Okay so after the system has been on for a while I can restart with ease.

I did have trouble again installing win7 after the reboot during install.

It would load up the "windows is starting screen" and just hang.

I thought I screwed the install again so I tried to reset and boot from the disc to reinstall.

Could not boot from disc.

I disconnected the DVD drive, and it loaded up and continued installing.

I'm going to try a cold boot tonight without the DVD drive connected.

I'll report back if the problem is solved.

Still doesn't fix my ram being read at 533mhz instead of 1600.

At least it's kinda working now
September 3, 2010 12:16:06 PM

So it's done it again. Taking the DVD drive out didn't work.

I checked the mobo website and my ram isn't part of the qvl. Going to replace it tomorrow.

Perhaps that will solve my problems.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2010 12:37:14 PM

I think your RAM is downclocking to the motherboard default. With a motherboard like that, you should definitely be able to adjust the RAM settings in the BIOS.
September 4, 2010 4:30:42 AM

I went to the store today and exchanged my ram for a Kingston 6gb pack and a blueray combo drive.
Cold booted no problem.
Seems like the ram was the issue.
Of course I won't know for certain for a few days.
Although I'm pretty optimistic about this being solved.

Thanks heaps for your help guys.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2010 4:56:39 AM

Was it DDR3 1066?
!