Which Cpu and Mb

Hey guys

I'm looking to build new PC, I was orignally thinking amd but have slightly switched to Intel but not sure, I was thinking either amd phenom 2 x6 1095t or an intel i7 950. Im looking for chips in the same price, The main reason i was thinking of the intel set is cos of the limitation on pci if you dont get the lg1366 Mobo and the option for quad sli/crossfire. i want usb 3.0 and the new esata 6. I was thinking amd cos i want to overclock it alot up to 4Ghzs.

can the intel chip over clock much? i know the amd one has the unlocked multipiler?

my budget is aorund 500-600 euro. that includes case _antec 300 most likely.
decent psu/cooling . overlclockable ram 2000mhz.

ill get a decent gpu but ill wait a while untill i can afford it so just use onboard graphics and not play games till then.


Cheers :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:
11 answers Last reply
More about which
  1. Oh yeah, Intel usually oc's better than AMD. But I have an AMD build due to the high cost for Intel.
  2. You would have better luck hitting 4Ghz on the 955/965 than the 6 core. From a purely performance standpoint though, the 950 would be faster still.
  3. If you need onboard video services for now then AMD is your best, and by some distance only, option.. Onboard video options in Intel are limited.. Overclocking however is another game and Intel current gen processors are ahead in this department.. Most of the Intel cpu's reach 4GHz (stable) with ease..
  4. Emperus said:
    If you need onboard video services for now then AMD is your best, and by some distance only, option.. Onboard video options in Intel are limited.. Overclocking however is another game and Intel current gen processors are ahead in this department.. Most of the Intel cpu's reach 4GHz (stable) with ease..



    Really? i though that the amd's would over clock easier. easpeically the black editions, so if amd and intel had the same amount of cores and same clock speed would the intel over clock better?

    Id condider buying a cheap gpu card if the intel has bad onboard, i had another thread you posted in about the x6 1095t and it seemed to convert me to getting an intel. basically i want to have this futureproofed as much as i can.
  5. There is difference between easier and higher.. AMD black edition processors have unlocked multipliers and thus easier to overclock.. Intel chips however have a higher overclock margin due to superior architecture and, they are comparatively more stable at high overclocked speeds.. As for onboard video, Intel does has that option on their LGA 1156 socket boards with H55 and H57 chipsets.. If you want to go for the LGA 1366 (X58 chipset) socket based board, you'll need to buy a discrete video card..
  6. Emperus said:
    There is difference between easier and higher.. AMD black edition processors have unlocked multipliers and thus easier to overclock.. Intel chips however have a higher overclock margin due to superior architecture and, they are comparatively more stable at high overclocked speeds.. As for onboard video, Intel does has that option on their LGA 1156 socket boards with H55 and H57 chipsets.. If you want to go for the LGA 1366 (X58 chipset) socket based board, you'll need to buy a discrete video card..



    Thank you for the advice yet again.

    Which x58 board would you choose, i was looking at the P6X58D Premium but its expenisve i assume, (cant find the price here in euro's)

    would you reccommend then the i7 950 for over clocking too?

    for the tripple bandwith ram is that a cpu feature with the motherboard or is that just special ram i put in etc?
  7. ^Yes, intel would clock better (and in terms of performance, an Intel is faster at the same clockspeed)

    The main advantages of buying from AMD are in no particular order:
    1) The superior platform, ie motherboard options
    2) Supporting the morally superior company/little guy
    3) Cost savings
    4)Socket/Platform Continuity
  8. etk said:
    ^Yes, intel would clock better (and in terms of performance, an Intel is faster at the same clockspeed)

    The main advantages of buying from AMD are in no particular order:
    1) The superior platform, ie motherboard options
    2) Supporting the morally superior company/little guy
    3) Cost savings
    4)Socket/Platform Continuity



    I was going to go with amd, in terms of euros for 60 euro extra i can get an i7 950 compared to and x6 1095t and such . any ideas on which motherboard for the i7?
  9. @etk : I wont call AMD a superior platform as an Intel platform has more to offer (option to go both SLI or Crossfire on the same motherboard for example)..

    @paul : The Asus Sabertooth and P6X58D-E are good motherboard options to consider.. If you have money to spend then go for the Asus Rampage III Formula.. In any case, i'll recommend giving the P6X58D Premium a miss.. The triple channel ram setup is a chipset feature.. There are triple channel kits available in the market so you don't have to worry about it.. And yes, the i7 950 is a nice processor to overclock.. If however, you can get the i7 930 for about 50 euro's lesser, go for it.. It is basically the same chip with a lowered stock clock speed compared to the i7 950 but will overclock to the same extents..
  10. Emperus said:
    @etk : I wont call AMD a superior platform as an Intel platform has more to offer (option to go both SLI or Crossfire on the same motherboard for example)..

    @paul : The Asus Sabertooth and P6X58D-E are good motherboard options to consider.. If you have money to spend then go for the Asus Rampage III Formula.. In any case, i'll recommend giving the P6X58D Premium a miss.. The triple channel ram setup is a chipset feature.. There are triple channel kits available in the market so you don't have to worry about it.. And yes, the i7 950 is a nice processor to overclock.. If however, you can get the i7 930 for about 50 euro's lesser, go for it.. It is basically the same chip with a lowered stock clock speed compared to the i7 950 but will overclock to the same extents..



    sorry i meant 50 euros from the x6 1095t to the i7 950.

    the rampage 3 boards are pretty pricey.
  11. AMD easier, Intel hits higher clocks. I would go with a AMD 965 or 970 if your going the AMD route.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies AMD Components