Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Silent Pro Gold Series 800w vs Corsair HX850

Last response: in Components
Share
November 23, 2010 1:56:46 AM

which would be a better suited PSU for a gaming rig?

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series 800w

vs

Corsair HX850
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 2:01:59 AM

Corsair vs CoolerMaster for PSU = easy decision.. And the winner is Corsair..
m
0
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
November 23, 2010 2:04:11 AM

hardware secrets states the corsair is better and who am I to argue. i will say, either one is a fine PSU


Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W will come with a USD 180 suggested price tag, which is not bad for an 80 Plus Gold unit, especially because on-line stores usually sell units for less than the suggested price.
clear pixel

The problem is that we think Corsair HX850W is better than Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W and it costs less (USD 160). You see, Ecos Consulting, the company behind 80 Plus, gave Corsair HX850W their Gold certification, but Corsair decided to downgrade this unit to Silver because it couldn’t deliver 87% efficiency at full load at real-world temperatures. So according to Ecos Consulting both units are “80 Plus Gold”, and thus we have a valid comparison.


http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Si...
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 164 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
November 23, 2010 2:05:42 AM

Emperus said:
Corsair vs CoolerMaster for PSU = easy decision.. And the winner is Corsair..


as much as i dislike most of the junk cooler master tossed out as PSU, the Silent Pro Gold series gets very good reviews.

kit guru raved about their 600w unit
http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon...
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 2:28:43 AM

im a corsair fan myself but then came across the CM which seems to fit the needs of my comp that im building while still saving a couple bucks in my wallet. but it seems as though the hx850 is the better choice between the 2 after reading that article, thanks ct1615
m
0
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 3:56:25 AM

Loved the way Ct turned up the info on the 80 plus certification.. And yes, it was Corsair which itself decided to downgrade the unit to 80 plus silver when they could've easily marketed them as 80 plus gold.. Now, leaving the certifications aside, the Corsair model exhibits better overall part and build quality.. If pricing has to be considered though, there is the XFX 850 Black Edition to consider.. It is based on the Seasonic M12D 850 design and is a gem of a performer.. The color scheme though won't be to everyone's liking..
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 11:12:34 AM

Emperus said:
Loved the way Ct turned up the info on the 80 plus certification.. And yes, it was Corsair which itself decided to downgrade the unit to 80 plus silver when they could've easily marketed them as 80 plus gold.. Now, leaving the certifications aside, the Corsair model exhibits better overall part and build quality.. If pricing has to be considered though, there is the XFX 850 Black Edition to consider.. It is based on the Seasonic M12D 850 design and is a gem of a performer.. The color scheme though won't be to everyone's liking..

Fighting psu fanboys and those who are less informed or fanatically ignorant about psu's has become ct's favorite hobby.
I have allowed myself to become involved, never again.

" Never argue with an idiot, he can drag you down and beat you with experience "
m
0
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 12:52:38 PM

delluser1 said:
Fighting psu fanboys and those who are less informed or fanatically ignorant about psu's has become ct's favorite hobby.
I have allowed myself to become involved, never again.

" Never argue with an idiot, he can drag you down and beat you with experience "


I hope you don't mind me asking but could you please explain your comment a little more precisely.? As with the highlighted lines on my comment, what I meant actually was that I too was aware of Corsair pulling down the 80plus rating on their HX 850/750 units but the point was never bought forward.. Ct did a good job of mentioning it so that desiring buyers don't skip it for the CM unit just because the CM unit is gold certified whereas its silver for the Corsair unit(s)..
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 12:59:44 PM

I would good for the Corsair Unit myself based on these 2. Both are actually good and the CM did a good job with this model, but the only thing which would tempt me to buy the CM over the corsair would be if the Corsair (which they usually are) is alot more pricer than the CM..

:) 
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 1:02:54 PM

Emperus said:
I hope you don't mind me asking but could you please explain your comment a little more precisely.? As with the highlighted lines on my comment, what I meant actually was that I too was aware of Corsair pulling down the 80plus rating on their HX 850/750 units but the point was never bought forward.. Ct did a good job of mentioning it so that desiring buyers don't skip it for the CM unit just because the CM unit is gold certified whereas its silver for the Corsair unit(s)..

Not at all.
But you kind of hit on it yourself.

It's also part rant due to situations elsewhere on the forum, and definitely not a shot at you.
m
0
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 1:08:27 PM

Oh ok.. I understand the situation a lot clearly now.. And don't worry on taking a shot at me anytime and every time I do a mistake (technically or otherwise).. I'll in fact appreciate it for i'll get to learn something out of it..
m
0
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
November 23, 2010 8:15:52 PM

delluser1 said:
Fighting psu fanboys and those who are less informed or fanatically ignorant about psu's has become ct's favorite hobby.


you gotta have a hobby to keep you busy :na: 
m
0
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
November 23, 2010 8:29:19 PM

delluser1 said:


It's also part rant due to situations elsewhere on the forum, and definitely not a shot at you.


:lol:  the GPU forum is easily the least informed one on Tom's for PC parts. its mainly a "scorched earth" policy to debating hardware. you don't talk about how well a product is but rather you berate the competition on how bad it is. buy AMD, intel sucks, buy Nvidia, ATI sucks, etc.,

the fact is, in most situations like the OP's, either product will do a fine job. the corsair is a notch better. in the real world does that mean anything? probably not.
m
0
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 9:18:26 PM

delluser1 said:

" Never argue with an idiot, he can drag you down and beat you with experience "

I like:
"Never argue with an idiot. From a distance, you can't tell who is who."

For the original question, CM is trying (successfully, perhaps) to improve some of their PSU offerings.

But I'll go with a proven record, Corsair.
m
0
l
!