Sign in with
Your question

HDD lists 0MB. need help.

Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2012 1:14:09 AM

I went to turn my computer on just now and it came up with a black screen saying "Restart and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" Keep in mind Windows 7 has already been installed.

I restarted and went into bios to check my boot setting and my HDD wasn't shown. So I went to my storage devices and my HDD was there but shows 0MB free - 0MB size. I checked my connections everything is good so then I tried repairing from install disk and again it shows 0MB and an error when trying to restore from previous point , there was no options to restore from. (which I had saved before!) I can't format via cmd prompt I get an error telling me to check system event logs.

Not sure if HDD failed or what? I cannot boot windows. I cannot reinstall windows. I don't know what to do.

More about : hdd lists 0mb

a b G Storage
December 9, 2012 2:22:58 AM

you will have to test the drive in a external usb box on another computer with the drive maker tool.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
December 9, 2012 2:30:10 AM

Zero capacity is a common symptom of an internal fault. No regular software tool, including the HDD manufacturer's publicly available tools, will rectify this problem.

That said, there are DIY solutions for certain models, eg Seagate's 7200.11 and 7200.12 series, and others.

What is your drive's model number?
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2012 2:48:52 AM

Seagate ST3640623AS
m
l
December 9, 2012 5:14:04 AM

Dang I don't have another computer for that.

So if I buy another HDD ill be able to fix it from my own computer right? Sounds like a good excuse to get an SSD for Christmas.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
December 9, 2012 6:37:11 AM

You need some way of sending commands to the drive, either via a serial port or via USB. So, yes, go treat yourself.

Be advised that the drive may have additional problems, so be prepared to replace it.

Best of luck.
m
l
a c 125 G Storage
December 9, 2012 8:23:46 AM

as it a know firmware issue i would contact seagate rma dept and have them send you a replacment drive. be nice to the csr person and ask for an advance replacment. they use a credit card to place a hold to make sure you mail back the old drive. but tell the csr you need the box and drive packing to ship the old drive back so that it wont be damaged.
m
l
!