Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dead SoundBlaster?

Last response: in Components
November 23, 2010 2:58:41 AM

Greetings,

Couple days ago I noticed that my sound wasn't working thanks to the handy volume system icon in the lower right hand corner of my taskbar. Normally, as those with Windows 7 will know, the volume system icon displays a speaker and a certain number of sound waves depending on the volume level. When I turned on my computer two days ago the system icon displayed a speaker with an encircled red x. Upon hovering my mouse over the icon I was told that no audio device could be detected.

I checked Device Manager; no sign of my 2 year old SoundBlaster X-FI Elite Pro. So I did a system restore, which gave me a new message, "No speakers or headphones are plugged in." Okay. Cool. After making sure the speakers were plugged in (which they were) I tried to reinstall my card's drivers but they couldn't detect any supported hardware, double checked Device Manager and still no X-FI Elite Pro. So today I reseat the card and my computer refuses to P.O.S.T. Promptly took the card out and the system booted. Anything I missed? Or is my card just dead?

Thanks for your time,

theArchitect

More about : dead soundblaster

Best solution

November 23, 2010 11:35:12 AM

Could be dead, could be a serious driver comflict.

Use some program (Driver Sweeper for instance) to kill any remaining traces of the Creative sound drivers. Once you are SURE that is done, re-instert the card again.

The fact the PC refuses to POST with the card inserted indicates the card may well be fried, but have you tried the card in a different slot? (The Elite Pro is PCI if I recall...)
November 24, 2010 2:10:31 AM

gamerk316 said:
Could be dead, could be a serious driver comflict.

Use some program (Driver Sweeper for instance) to kill any remaining traces of the Creative sound drivers. Once you are SURE that is done, re-instert the card again.

The fact the PC refuses to POST with the card inserted indicates the card may well be fried, but have you tried the card in a different slot? (The Elite Pro is PCI if I recall...)

So I cleared the system of ALL traces of the Creative sound drivers and, as you instructed, put the card back in. The computer booted up but the X-FI Elite Pro still isn't listed in Device Manager and I still cannot attempt to install the drivers (gives me the "... no supported hardware..." error).

Oh, and also, I still see the message, "No speakers or headphones are plugged in." What'd ya think boss?
Score
Related resources
November 24, 2010 4:46:55 AM

Unfortunatly if windows is not detecting the card and it is not being listed in the device manager it sounds like the problem lies with the card itself or maybe the slot it is placed in.

Just a thought, have you disabled your motherboards on-board audio? Incase there may be some kind of conflict there. Or do you have access to another PC you could test the card in?
Score
November 24, 2010 2:40:41 PM

thechief73 said:
Unfortunatly if windows is not detecting the card and it is not being listed in the device manager it sounds like the problem lies with the card itself or maybe the slot it is placed in.

Just a thought, have you disabled your motherboards on-board audio? Incase there may be some kind of conflict there. Or do you have access to another PC you could test the card in?

Thanks for your input. I did originally have on-board audio disabled but after the card stopped working and I cleared the drivers, I set the BIOS settings to fail-safe defaults (which turns my on-board audio to "Internal Codec", if I remember correctly).

I forgot to mention in the above reply to gamerk316 that it is impossible for me to put the card in a different PCI slot. My motherboard has the following slot setup (the slots are listed in the order they physically appear on my MOBO, from top to bottom) :

PCI-E X16
PCI-E X1
PCI-E x16
PCI
PCI-E X16
PCI

I have the sound card in the bottom PCI slot because I have one nVidia GTX460 in the first PCI-E X16 slot and then the other GTX460 in the second PCI-E X16 slot. The cards (although not as big as some out there) take up quite a bit of room and so the first (or top) PCI slot is covered completely by the frame of the GTX460.

Also, I might mention that about 5 or 6 months ago I had to move the X-FI Elite Pro from the top PCI slot to the bottom (this was before I upgraded to an SLI PC) because Windows stopped detecting the card. So it was originally in the first PCI slot. The only option I have if I can't get the card to work in it's designated PCI slot is to buy another PCI card.

Any other suggestions?
Score
November 24, 2010 4:50:28 PM

Just a thought, maybe something is conflicting with your PCI slot adresses, though I have forgotten how you check for such an issue. Maybe in your BIOS?
Score
November 26, 2010 9:36:51 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Got it figured out.
Score
November 26, 2010 9:37:00 PM

Best answer selected by theArchitect.
Score
November 27, 2010 1:30:38 AM

Hey, thats good you got her up and running again. I am glad you got it figured out. :) 
Score
November 27, 2010 8:15:17 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!