Can't tell how all my hard drive space is being used up...

trustymutsi

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I have a 128 GB SSD drive. I know when you first use it, it will not let you use all of that space. That's not my issue.

The problem is, I look at my drive, and it says I have 30 GB free of 118 total GB, meaning I'm using up 88 GB. Well, when I check the total size of all the folders and files in that drive, the total is only 76.73 GB. Where's the extra 12 GB? Is there anyplace on my drive I just can't see, thus I don't see the extra 12 GB being used?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I made sure I emptied the trash too.

Solution

For a true number - make sure you are showing hidden and Protected OS files... a lot of space can be taken by page files etc.

So.. asuming you win7... go to "My computer" --> Organise --> Folder and search options...

For a true number - make sure you are showing hidden and Protected OS files... a lot of space can be taken by page files etc.

So.. asuming you win7... go to "My computer" --> Organise --> Folder and search options --> View --> Tick the "show hidden files. " option.... untick the "hide protected operating system files..." option..

Now recheck.

Cheers

Solution

trustymutsi

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

That did it. I also tried using WinDirStat.

Both showed me that "pagefile.sys" and "hiberfil.sys" are taking up a total of 7 gigs :(

Well, I assume I should keep those files. At least I know something serious isn't wrong :)