HD 5770 problems

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hello
I have been having problems with my Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 PCS+ graphics card, its crashing in games, about 10 minutes in, and I also noticed that it makes a strange high pitched squealing noise when its under load (I read this could be a loose capacitor).

Here are my specs (I only built this PC a week ago)

Phenom II x3 720 @ 3.4GHz
Asus M4A78L-M
4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz (2x2GB)
Thermaltake toughpower Qfan 650w
Windows 7 64 bit
...and of course a HD 5770

The crash is a sort of grey screen, my speakers start making buzzing sounds, and then windows brings up a dialogue saying that the game has stopped working. I do not get any errors saying that ATI Catalyst has stopped working.
The strange thing is, it only crashes in Assassin's Creed II, and in Dirt 2, it doesnt even crash in Atitool or Crysis o_O
And when it does crash, I can press alt + tab to get to the desktop, and the system seems to continue to function normally. I looked in the Event viewer, but there is no information about the crash except the details of the game crash. My CPU temps under load are 40 degrees C, and the HD 5770 under load is 60 (so its not a problem with overheating). Ive tried every recent version of Catalyst and uninstalled the old ones with driver sweeper, but still no luck.
Then I tried using the onboard graphics, and they work fine in games (except a low FPS of course), so I think the problem is a hardware issue with my HD 5770. But could it be a faulty power supply or faulty motherboard? Anyone got any suggestions to what the problem is?

Help is very much appreciated! Thanks :D

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Yes the game is legit

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
It has to be software issue since u can alt plus tab to desktop after crashing.Patch ac2 and dirt2.IF AC2 IS CRASHING DUE TO INTERNET CONNECTION THEN USE SKIDROW DRM CRACK AND PLAY OFFLINE.

I have already patched dirt 2, and I am already using the skidrow crack. The crash happened again today, but this time I couldent press alt + tab, but Ctrl + alt + del still worked as normal. I actually think its a hardware issue because it was working a week ago, and since then, I havent installed any software that could make Catalyst crash. If it was a software issue, there would be something about it in the Event Viewer.

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I put the 6 pin power cable into the other PSU socket today, then played half an hour of Dirt 2 today, and it didnt crash!? So maybe one of my 6 pin outlets on my Power supply is faulty? IDK