New to networking

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I am getting a cable modem tomorrow and was wondering about wireless connections. I have an xbox (which I am getting xbox live), and 2 computers. All of which are in different rooms. I guess my question is, does my new ISP need to know that I want wireless networking? They are charging me an additional $9.95 a month for sending me a wireless router for 802.11b networking. Is this addequate for what I would like to do? Also, I will be dialing into my servers at work every once in a while to do "work". Just not too sure if I am doing everything I need to do with regards to cost and performance. Thanks in advance.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If they are making you pay more a month to have wireless then you are getting ripped off. You can get a wireless router for ~$50 or less that is 802.11b/g. An isp can't tell what is on your network or that you have wireless. All you need them to do is turn on the service, you can buy a modem and wirless router to avoid a monthly charge for renting them from the isp.

I highly recommend having a wired connection to the xbox because it will be fairly costly to send wireless to it. Just have the modem/router sitting near the xbox and buy a wireless network card for both PCs. Because the xbox has no native wireless support and you cant plug a wireless nic into it you will have to setup some wireless bridges, it wouldn't be worth the time and effort unless you absolutely must have it on wireless.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I thought I was getting ripped off.

I don't have to have my Xbox on wireless, I know I would rather have that wired directly. I don't want lag there!

Thanks for the input Folken.