Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sli gtx 460 768mb with a gtx 460 1gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2010 5:26:33 PM

is there anyway you can sli these cards if they have different memory sizes? because i was just on cyberpower and people are buying both for 1 computer. they might be using the second one for a phyiscs card im thinking but i am not sure..
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 6:13:20 PM

It would be a complete waste of money to run a GTX 460 as PhysX with another GTX 460. You'd want them in actual SLI setup.

As for doing a 768MB with a 1GB, they are more than different memory sizes. Memory bandwidth is different, the ROP count is different. Ultimately, if they DO work in SLI, one of them (the 1GB) will have to slow down to match the capabilities of the lesser card (the 768MB version).

EDIT: Added emphasis to "if they DO" to make my statement clearer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 6:31:51 PM

since these just came out, i don't see why anyone would even be thinking this, just get two of the same card, as jerreece said they will sli, but only be as good as two of the weaker 768mb, if your looking at configuring just get 2 of the same, if your thinking of saving alittle cash by getting one 768 and a 1gb, you really just ripping yourself off 30 bucks, because performance with be the 768 sli level

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 6:57:47 PM

urbansaint said:
is there anyway you can sli these cards if they have different memory sizes? because i was just on cyberpower and people are buying both for 1 computer. they might be using the second one for a phyiscs card im thinking but i am not sure..

Cyberpower lets you mix and match whatever cards you want, its up to you to make sure what card/cards are needed for an SLI or single GPU + dedicated PhysX setup. Just like jerreece mentioned, there is no point in mixing a 1Gb with a 768mb, if you want a dedicated physx card you should not need anything more than a GTS250.

m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 7:17:40 PM

I'm sure I read somewhere that the 1GB and 768MB cannot be run in SLi due to the different bus sizes of 256bit & 192bit respectively.
m
l
July 29, 2010 12:31:56 AM

thankyou everyone for all your help, i want to reun a 9800 gtx+ as my physics card with my gtx 460 as the main card. People keep telling me that using a physics card is a waste?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 29, 2010 2:01:38 AM

urbansaint said:
thankyou everyone for all your help, i want to reun a 9800 gtx+ as my physics card with my gtx 460 as the main card. People keep telling me that using a physics card is a waste?

Why don't you just try it for yourself and make your own mind up as to whether or not you think it's worth it?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2010 2:08:35 AM

urbansaint said:

i personally have a 460 and getting a physx card wouldn't be worth it, there are only a handful of games that actually use it, and IMO if a game does have physx features then i would just run it on my main card/sli, because it's not that big of a penalty. running batman AA with the medium physx setting i could still get 60 fps on a 275 which could still get 60fps, which is my monitors refresh rate.

so if your thinking about dumping 100 dollars just for a few games then you might as well just get sli, because in games that don't use physx you'll get more performance and also the extra grunt you need for physx
July 29, 2010 2:31:36 AM

waht about on a game like bfbc2?? there is a s load of pysics in that
m
l
July 29, 2010 3:17:14 AM

so should i just sell the 9800 gtx+ or keep it for a physx card? i need some good reasons
m
l
July 29, 2010 3:20:50 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Why don't you just try it for yourself and make your own mind up as to whether or not you think it's worth it?

because i will need to purchase a mobo that supports sli to try it our ans was wondering what first hand experience ppl might have before i do so
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 29, 2010 3:23:11 AM

urbansaint said:
so should i just sell the 9800 gtx+ or keep it for a physx card? i need some good reasons

if you don't play physx games, or use physx for programming, then why keep a card that will continuously decline in value?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2010 3:28:31 AM

Keep in mind, that "PhysX" and "physics" are different things. Lots of game engines now compute physics stuff, but that's not the same as the proprietary "engine" that nVidia developed called "PhysX". It's a play on words obviously, but calculating the physical movements of things in a given space (physics) is not the same as using the specific PhysX program nVidia uses.

Games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 do indeed have some physics related calculations (this is partly why BFBC2 is so CPU demanding) but it definitely does not take advantage of nVidia's PhysX system. Not a lot of games do...
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 29, 2010 3:57:03 AM

urbansaint said:
because i will need to purchase a mobo that supports sli to try it our ans was wondering what first hand experience ppl might have before i do so

No you don't, any motherboard with two or more PCIe slots will do as the cards are not run in SLi.
m
l
July 29, 2010 7:22:48 AM

Best answer selected by urbansaint.
m
l
!