Sign in with
Your question

Is there someway test my pci-e wattage power etc?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Power
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 6:03:14 PM

something strange happened when i swapped my old dead 8800 gt off and put 9800 gt on...games get random slowdowns and works when they want and wont work when they dont want to :D  some games lags almost all the time some not so... so could it be possible that dead card did somehow damage pci-e slot? this 9800 dont have any extra pin connectors to PSU so it only relies to pci-e slot...so i smell a problem there...8800gt did have extra pin connectors to psu. is there some trick or program how i can see does pci.e slot provide that required 75 wats or if it have some other problem. And this has nothing do with drivers :D ! i know how to work with em! thanks very much for all answer!

More about : someway test pci wattage power

a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 6:30:47 PM

Hello Plasma,

Not sure there's a method of checking how much wattage is being delivered via the PCI-Express slot. If anything, it might be that your power supply is going coo-coo, but more likely it's something else.

What are your full system specs?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 6:39:55 PM

well my psu is brand new 400w corsair..8800gt did run even with 300w crap chinise model very well haha :D  so its def not psu problem...my bet is 8800 gt did give somekinda shock or something to pci-e lsot when it died...and i hope it didnt infect whole motherboard...thast why i woudl like to elminate pci-e slot first..i mean they can be replaced without changin whole motherboard right?

system specs are

amd athlon 64x2 5000+ 2,60ghz
windows vista 32-bit
9800 gt 1gb ram ( green edition) thast why it hasnt exrta power connectorss i think... other 9800 gt models should have..
3gb ram
400w corsair psu
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 6:44:52 PM

Did you reinstall drivers? I know it might be the same card, but sometimes a re-installation might be the fix.

BTW, look for burn marks in the PCIe slot, if there isnt any, most likely your mobos fine.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 7:30:13 PM

mob seems be fine and i have re install drviers yes. but now i remebered one thing when i was checking motherboard but im not sure can it have any effect to video card performance...i broke one part of pci-e slot when i removed 8800gt..back of it was somekinda leveler or unlocker...dunno what it was really lol..card goes perfectly in pci-e slot but it moves kinda easy in slot when i give some hand push...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 7:32:04 PM

take a pic?
If its the plastic retention tab on the end it shouldn't affect anything.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 7:52:59 PM

I have bit hard times to get good enough lighting qualifity and accuracy picture with my pretty poor webcam :D  i may try :D  so its normal that card moves a bit forward and back when u push it a with hand? other cards wont move that much or not at all when u try move em. Im just getting a bit desperated with opinions i really wouldnt like change whole motheboard :S but what can u do..almsot impossible to scan right error from 10000000 possiblities hehe.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 8:00:36 PM

Did you break the white clip?

However, you shouldn't be able to move the card horizontally at all when its firmly seated , try pushing down harder to the point you can barely seen the gold pins on the card.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 8:09:31 PM

i think its that..its just black colored on my motherboard. card is so deep inside pci-e slot i can possible push it yeah but it still moves a bit horizontally espicially when i move card near of that black clip or lock whatever its called :D 
m
l
!