Why do i need to start my pc twice?

zernon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Hello,

My PC is plugged into a wall switched socket, so its own switch is never used. On switching on, everything lights and it starts to boot, and then it switches itself off. I restart using the reset button, and everything is OK. It has done this since it was new. Any ideas anyone?

Check in BIOS to see what its set to do after an AC power outage. Also, are you shutting it down properly through the OS or is it shutting off with that switch? If you are shutting it off through the OS it might behave different when the AC is restored than if it just had its power cut randomly.

This is normal operation. Two of my desktops do this when I turn ON the power strip that supplies power to the computers and the peripherals.

When I turn ON the power strip, the fans turn ON, and some indicator lights come ON. Then nothing happens. The system has initialized for Startup. Startup occurs when the computer Start/Reset combo switch (Dell front panel) is depressed.

If you do not want this mode of operation, leave power ON the computer after you shut down the computer using the Windows shut down sequence.

On one desktop I leave the power ON after shutdown - on the other, I turn OFF the power strip after shutdown and what you describe occurs during the next startup. This is normal.

zernon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Ubrales,

You are absolutely right of course! How stupid can I get?! Thank you for resolving the worry that sometyhing might be wrong. Best regards.

Zernon

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If you have an option in BIOS for "AC Back" or "Power Back", and you set it to Full-On (this it the option on my board), would it turn the computer on right away without requiring the second "start"? (I think this may be what Hunter was getting at)

TRENDING THREADS