Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GFX Card Damage

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2010 7:58:46 PM

I've had my 9800 GT for a while now. It didn't come stock with my PC and I bought it about a month after I got this HP. The stock card was a 9600 GS.

Never had a problem with it up until now. I started my favorite game (Napoleon: Total War) and it started fine. I loaded one of my campaigns and a few seconds into the game it locked up, crazy stuff flew all over the screen and the game closed. I got a windows notice about a driver failing then recovering. So I decided to update my Drivers from nvidia.com. I updated to the latest driver, restarted my PC and it was loading fine until it actually loaded the OS. The screen was just lines and it began the whole restart process again. It would never load the OS so I was just stuck in an endless cycle.

That's when I turned my PC off and replaced the card with my 9600 GS. Now I am able to load my PC up and it works. But I noticed damage to two of the sivler cylinders on my 9800 GT. one of them is slightly cracked while the other had been busted open. I don't know what they are but this is recent because I never noticed it before. What's happened? Is this the reason for the errors and is it permanent?

More about : gfx card damage

July 28, 2010 8:12:24 PM

it is also caused due to a cheap PSU
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2010 8:12:52 PM

IROC_69 said:
your card is damaged as u are saying u can see cracks and other is busted open
it is because of overheating

i assume thay look like this

http://37prime.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/evga_nvidia_...

can u upload pic of ur card

I'll work on getting a pic but one of them looks exactly like the busted open one and the other's silver coating is cracked.
m
l

Best solution

July 28, 2010 8:40:03 PM

yes its beacuse of cheap PSU or some kind of voltage fluctuation capacitors got overvoltaged and blasted away

i m afraid you card is dead my friend R.I.P
July 28, 2010 9:02:34 PM

So sad....thanks for the help though. My 9600 will have to do until I go to college.
m
l
July 28, 2010 9:05:52 PM

Best answer selected by ericeagle92.
m
l
!