do players use cheats ?

I am new to playing UT online, seems when I do I get killed with ONE shot
from many players, how can that be?!?! Are they using cheats, special
weapons? I can play with friends, against friends, against BOTs
(experiences/skilled) and do rather well. Just want to know if cheats exist
that internet players might be using; if so, really takes the fun out of
it.
19 answers Last reply
More about players cheats

    Lisa Horton wrote:
    > Also, not every game is the same. When I find myself in a game with
    > players who are WAY better than me, I look for a different game with
    > players closer to my skill level.

    How do you know the skill level of players in an online game when choosing a
    game?

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:30:56 -0500, Beowulf <beowulf@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >Any tips on surviving online

    Practice.

    Beowulf wrote:

    > Lisa Horton wrote:
    > ..
    > > Also, not every game is the same. When I find myself in a game with
    > > players who are WAY better than me, I look for a different game with
    > > players closer to my skill level.
    > ..
    >
    > How do you know the skill level of players in an online game when choosing a
    > game?

    When they kill you really really easily, and you can't seem to kill
    them, that's a pretty good sign :)

    Lisa

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 06:25:50 -0500, Beowulf <beowulf@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >How do you know the skill level of players in an online game when choosing a
    >game?

    You don't, unless you know the players.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Am/On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:10:55 -0500 schrieb/wrote Beowulf in
    alt.games.unreal.tournament:

    > I am new to playing UT online, seems when I do I get killed with ONE shot
    > from many players, how can that be?!?! Are they using cheats, special
    > weapons? I can play with friends, against friends, against BOTs
    > (experiences/skilled) and do rather well. Just want to know if cheats exist
    > that internet players might be using; if so, really takes the fun out of
    > it.

    Uh, a newbee. lol, I am playing this game now for six years, and i am quite
    good at headshooting and second fire. I often got told to use cheats. but i
    dont. first of all is your ping, so i mostly play at DE, NL, UK servers.

    Some guys play with programmable Keyboards, or use tools to do that, some
    have extra hardware for playing...
    But nowadays most public servers use anti - cheat software , to get rid of
    cheating.

    wanna say: play UT for six years, and then we wanna see.

    fraggin ya.......
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Am/On Wed, 04 May 2005 06:25:50 -0500 schrieb/wrote Beowulf in
    alt.games.unreal.tournament:

    > Lisa Horton wrote:
    > ..
    >> Also, not every game is the same. When I find myself in a game with
    >> players who are WAY better than me, I look for a different game with
    >> players closer to my skill level.
    > ..
    >
    > How do you know the skill level of players in an online game when choosing a
    > game?

    Just watch. And you`ll be fragged... LOL
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Am/On Wed, 04 May 2005 19:00:03 -0400 schrieb/wrote Darmok in
    alt.games.unreal.tournament:

    > Sniping, especially spawn sniping ...

    No, i prefer to atomize them by second fire, that really brings them up

    > get in a few quick kills and off
    > you go. Learn the maps, and where the good weapons are spawned.
    > Learn where dead players are spawned.
    >
    > Practice.

    Muha, telling this to a beginner? LOL

    He'll be fragged.

    Greetz... - Klaus
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:36:28 +0200, Klaus Bregel <space-orbit@gmx.de>
    wrote:

    >Am/On Wed, 04 May 2005 06:25:50 -0500 schrieb/wrote Beowulf in
    >alt.games.unreal.tournament:
    >
    >> Lisa Horton wrote:
    >> ..
    >>> Also, not every game is the same. When I find myself in a game with
    >>> players who are WAY better than me, I look for a different game with
    >>> players closer to my skill level.
    >> ..
    >>
    >> How do you know the skill level of players in an online game when choosing a
    >> game?
    >
    >Just watch. And you`ll be fragged... LOL

    When you find a fair game you can always tell when the cheaters show
    up. Opps, sorry, I meant those real good players that can get perfect
    kill shots every time whilke twirlling through the air.

    Another thing to watch out for is your ping. I was just in a game
    where my ping was over 200 while 19 other player had pings pf less
    than 50. Needless to say I did very poorly. My guess is university
    types with those super connections and programming talents.

    Ak
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:30:48 +0200, Klaus Bregel <space-orbit@gmx.de>
    wrote:

    >Am/On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:10:55 -0500 schrieb/wrote Beowulf in
    >alt.games.unreal.tournament:
    >
    >> I am new to playing UT online, seems when I do I get killed with ONE shot
    >> from many players, how can that be?!?! Are they using cheats, special
    >> weapons? I can play with friends, against friends, against BOTs
    >> (experiences/skilled) and do rather well. Just want to know if cheats exist
    >> that internet players might be using; if so, really takes the fun out of
    >> it.
    >
    >Uh, a newbee. lol, I am playing this game now for six years, and i am quite
    >good at headshooting and second fire. I often got told to use cheats. but i
    >dont. first of all is your ping, so i mostly play at DE, NL, UK servers.
    >
    >Some guys play with programmable Keyboards, or use tools to do that, some
    >have extra hardware for playing...
    >But nowadays most public servers use anti - cheat software , to get rid of
    >cheating.
    >
    >wanna say: play UT for six years, and then we wanna see.
    >
    >fraggin ya.......

    I remember the original tournament ladder and the pleasure I got of
    finally beating Malcolm. Right now I think my biggest problem is
    finding a server where my ping is about the same as the other players.
    I have a high speed cable connection but in many cases my ping is 2
    top 5 times higher than the other players. I know when I find a
    server were I have the lowest ping, I can mop the floor with the other
    players. :-) It does not make for good game playing.

    Ak
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Am/On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:01:05 GMT schrieb/wrote Alfred Kaufmann in
    alt.games.unreal.tournament:

    > On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:30:48 +0200, Klaus Bregel <space-orbit@gmx.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Am/On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:10:55 -0500 schrieb/wrote Beowulf in
    >>alt.games.unreal.tournament:
    >>
    >>> I am new to playing UT online, seems when I do I get killed with ONE shot
    >>> from many players, how can that be?!?! Are they using cheats, special
    >>> weapons? I can play with friends, against friends, against BOTs
    >>> (experiences/skilled) and do rather well. Just want to know if cheats exist
    >>> that internet players might be using; if so, really takes the fun out of
    >>> it.
    >>
    >>Uh, a newbee. lol, I am playing this game now for six years, and i am quite
    >>good at headshooting and second fire. I often got told to use cheats. but i
    >>dont. first of all is your ping, so i mostly play at DE, NL, UK servers.
    >>
    >>Some guys play with programmable Keyboards, or use tools to do that, some
    >>have extra hardware for playing...
    >>But nowadays most public servers use anti - cheat software , to get rid of
    >>cheating.
    >>
    >>wanna say: play UT for six years, and then we wanna see.
    >>
    >>fraggin ya.......
    >
    > I remember the original tournament ladder and the pleasure I got of
    > finally beating Malcolm. Right now I think my biggest problem is
    > finding a server where my ping is about the same as the other players.
    > I have a high speed cable connection but in many cases my ping is 2
    > top 5 times higher than the other players. I know when I find a
    > server were I have the lowest ping, I can mop the floor with the other
    > players. :-) It does not make for good game playing.
    >
    > Ak

    I just traced you, and u seem to come from nearby Calgary, Cannada. Is that
    right? Maybee, that there are no UTservers nearby, but US is full of
    servers. Here in Hannover, Germany, I get lots of servers with a ping under
    100. eventually u can (under Windoze) use another driver, called Cfos. this
    might give you some extra milliseconds, and dont forget to turn you
    software Firewall off and every other net-related stuff.

    HTH - Klaus
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 12:42:51 +0200, Klaus Bregel <space-orbit@gmx.de>
    wrote:

    >I just traced you, and u seem to come from nearby Calgary, Cannada. Is that
    >right? Maybee, that there are no UTservers nearby, but US is full of
    >servers. Here in Hannover, Germany, I get lots of servers with a ping under
    >100. eventually u can (under Windoze) use another driver, called Cfos. this
    >might give you some extra milliseconds, and dont forget to turn you
    >software Firewall off and every other net-related stuff.
    >
    >HTH - Klaus

    Actually about a 7.5 drive west of Calgary in Kelowna BC. I don't
    think this DSL Cfos driver you suggested applies to cable? I do have
    good download speeds but uploads are about 56k. I can't turn off the
    firewall, just too dangerous.

    I just played a game on a US server and my ping was about 80 about the
    same as the rest of the players and I did pretty good. The best
    place I have found was a server in Japan where my ping was around 40
    and all the other players had pings of 200+. I did very well there.
    My ping does change greatly depending on the time here and the server.

    Doesn't hardware like cpu, memory and video card also make a big
    difference? I can't see people spending huge amounts on a 6800GT if
    it did not improve game playing.

    Ak
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Beowulf" <beowulf@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I am new to playing UT online, seems when I do I get killed with ONE shot
    > from many players, how can that be?!?! Are they using cheats, special
    > weapons? I can play with friends, against friends, against BOTs
    > (experiences/skilled) and do rather well. Just want to know if cheats
    exist
    > that internet players might be using; if so, really takes the fun out of
    > it.

    Some people say anyone who is better then them is using an aim bot, but
    usually i find there are a lot of good players online. You just gotta
    either practice or just get owned. Online practice is different than
    practice againt bots or even ur friends who are (not meaning to diss )
    probably noobs.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 16:33:01 GMT, Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca>
    wrote:

    >I just played a game on a US server and my ping was about 80 about the
    >same as the rest of the players and I did pretty good. The best
    >place I have found was a server in Japan where my ping was around 40
    >and all the other players had pings of 200+. I did very well there.
    >My ping does change greatly depending on the time here and the server.

    The in-game ping display is notoriously inaccurate. There's no way
    anyone in Canada will get a 40 ping to Japan.

    The best way to measure ping to a server is to copy the server's IP
    address and then use traditional ping tools.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    wrote:

    >But nowadays most public servers use anti - cheat software , to get rid of
    >cheating.

    Funny, I am hearing that this software is easy to get around.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Am/On Thu, 05 May 2005 17:55:10 GMT schrieb/wrote Alfred Kaufmann in
    alt.games.unreal.tournament:

    > On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:36:28 +0200, Klaus Bregel <space-orbit@gmx.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Am/On Wed, 04 May 2005 06:25:50 -0500 schrieb/wrote Beowulf in
    >>alt.games.unreal.tournament:
    >>
    >>> Lisa Horton wrote:
    >>> ..
    >>> ..
    >>>
    >>> How do you know the skill level of players in an online game when choosing a
    >>> game?
    >>
    >>Just watch. And you`ll be fragged... LOL
    >
    > When you find a fair game you can always tell when the cheaters show
    > up. Opps, sorry, I meant those real good players that can get perfect
    > kill shots every time whilke twirlling through the air.
    >
    > Another thing to watch out for is your ping. I was just in a game
    > where my ping was over 200 while 19 other player had pings pf less
    > than 50. Needless to say I did very poorly. My guess is university
    > types with those super connections and programming talents.
    >
    > Ak

    Yup, that was what i told before, read erlear posts.
    Cause u cant beat a player with te same skill, and having a difference of
    150 ms. - u got no chance. thats way of life. or go to your provider if he
    enables you fastpath. in germany, u had to pay extra euros, to get that.
    but, i only changed provider, and uhm, some 10 to 15ms were able.
    cause, this doesnt matter.
    But on the servers that really rulez, with a ping under 70, that gives u a
    real advantage. 35 to 50 makes mor advantage than 270 to 285 - u wanna know
    what i wanna say?

    happy fragging
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Am/On Fri, 06 May 2005 16:33:01 GMT schrieb/wrote Alfred Kaufmann in
    alt.games.unreal.tournament:

    >>100. eventually u can (under Windoze) use another driver, called Cfos. this
    >>might give you some extra milliseconds, and dont forget to turn you
    >>software Firewall off and every other net-related stuff.

    > good download speeds but uploads are about 56k. I can't turn off the
    > firewall, just too dangerous.

    yo, u dont need a firewall, even not a personal firewall if u turn off some
    windows standard services. no one will hurt u. ive been playin ut for six
    years now, and never got an untrusion (is that the right word???), but dont
    care, its called: win32sec
    google for it, and forget every firewall.
    I suggest, u turned all your javascript and your java thingens off. - no
    problem in win xp, u just gotta switch to another user.

    > I just played a game on a US server and my ping was about 80 about the
    > same as the rest of the players and I did pretty good. The best
    > place I have found was a server in Japan where my ping was around 40
    > and all the other players had pings of 200+. I did very well there.
    > My ping does change greatly depending on the time here and the server.

    sorry, i dont wanna trace u, but japan servers are pings like - ehm

    from here on.
    anybody might trace me. then u know where i m coming from.

    > Doesn't hardware like cpu, memory and video card also make a big
    > difference? I can't see people spending huge amounts on a 6800GT if
    > it did not improve game playing.

    theres no prob about that, if i got one, it would be nice.
    but i am therfold sold this badly (sorry for my english),
    that i am even to try to leave this country.

    naja, war ganz schön viel, aber trotzdem.

    might c ya - Klaus
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > Any tips on surviving online -- it just seems I get killed with one shot
    > lots of times, which seems to defy logic when I have 100 Health and 50-100
    > shield. I do not feel like I have a chance, i.e. why even play an internet
    > game? I know I sound like a sore loser, I just want to understand how to
    > survive in such games.

    Google for the "UT Bible" - that explains most of the physical aspects
    of this game, and it's quite possible to be shot with the sniper and die
    in one hit, even with full shields.

    As for learning - google is again your friend, plenty of player guides
    to help.

    Also, http://www.truff.net/ - this is a uk based community that hosts
    and admins Newbie and Intermediate servers for those who aren't yet able
    to hold their own on an open server. The server addresses are on the
    "Server Status" page, give 'em a try!

    --
    Flash
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Folk wrote:

    > Frags by Flak Cannon: 1,464

    Still a flack monkey then?

    > Frags by Avril: 1,447

    and a stats one eh ;)

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk LE2005 10.2 2.6.11.1

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:13:43 GMT, sid
    <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Folk wrote:
    >

    >> Frags by Flak Cannon: 1,464
    >
    >Still a flack monkey then?

    It's inbred. I'm thinking of joining a seven-step program for
    Flakaholics.

Games Internet Video Games