Laptop recommendation.. anyone?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 15, 2004 10:35:43 PM

Hi all,

I'm actually looking forward to purchase a laptop for me to carry
around doing the following either during meetings in public, in office
or at clients premises :-

1) Business presentations - Powerpoint, Excel
2) Prototype presentations - ColdFusion, VB, SQL 2000, Flash, Director
3) Graphics, video / audio editing - Vegas, Premiere,
Illustrator, Photoshop
4) Uploading / Downloading to ftp / web servers (so i'd definitely need
built in WLAN)

My question is simply

A) Intel Pentium 4 or Pentium Centrino?
B) Which laptop brand should i go for in terms of reliability,
durability, support and the ability to run Red Hat Linux or dual boot
to Windows as well. I do need it to be 17" widescreen too with at least
a DVD Rom / CDR and to be able to perform the above 1) to 4).

Built in Bluetooth, SVideo Out, SPDIF and memory card readers are
SECONDARY for me. Shape, outlook and weight is also SECONDARY.

Thank you. Your generous and valuable feedback is much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Mark

More about : laptop recommendation

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 1:42:00 PM

<pekingduck@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm actually looking forward to purchase a laptop for me to carry
> around doing the following either during meetings in public, in office
> or at clients premises :-
>
> 1) Business presentations - Powerpoint, Excel
> 2) Prototype presentations - ColdFusion, VB, SQL 2000, Flash, Director
> 3) Graphics, video / audio editing - Vegas, Premiere,
> Illustrator, Photoshop
> 4) Uploading / Downloading to ftp / web servers (so i'd definitely need
> built in WLAN)
>
> My question is simply
>
> A) Intel Pentium 4 or Pentium Centrino?
> B) Which laptop brand should i go for in terms of reliability,
> durability, support and the ability to run Red Hat Linux or dual boot
> to Windows as well. I do need it to be 17" widescreen too with at least
> a DVD Rom / CDR and to be able to perform the above 1) to 4).
>
> Built in Bluetooth, SVideo Out, SPDIF and memory card readers are
> SECONDARY for me. Shape, outlook and weight is also SECONDARY.
>
> Thank you. Your generous and valuable feedback is much appreciated.
> Best Regards,
> Mark

For video/audio editing, you'll want a P4, but P4s are meant to be desktop
replacement processors. If you're always near a socket when portable, then
P4 is fine (just don't put it on your lap...bad, bad idea)

I can't really recommend a brand to you, because I tend to not go with brand
names. My computer is self-assembled and my laptop is resold from an ODM.
http://notebookforums.com has some good information for you if you want to
look at that.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 8:18:07 PM

Get a Pentium M. Don't believe that P4's are really much faster
because they aren't. I do 3D modeling and rendering in Lightwave 8
along with other web design/photoshop stuff and my Pentium M 1.6 ghz is
more than adequate. The $5000 Dell M60 workstation is a pentium M 2
ghz so that should say something (plus a Quadro 3d card and lots of
other goodies). If you really want your laptop to be portable and have
decent battery life (double the P4's) then go w/ the centrino. I have
a dell 8600 (15.4" widescreen) @ 1680x1050 but if you want 17" its not
an option obviously.
a b D Laptop
December 17, 2004 12:36:47 AM

I read your requests. You left of budget, and that's more important than
the individual details. Look at a fujitsu N5010, IBM T42p, and IBM x40.
Each will work, each different in their own way.

I like 60 gig 7200 rpm HD. Unless you get a deal on ram, buy 2 1 gig chips
separately and dump the smaller memory on eBay. the p in T42p is going to
cost you dearly. The N5010 may do just fine at half the price. Bluetooth,
wifi, spare battery, docking station. I have a r40 docked. Speakers,
external monitor, and Ethernet DSL all into the dock. One button, into the
case and I'm off. I buy 3 year manufacturer warranties extended to onsite
next day. I leave breakage, theft and loss to a separate policy. The cost
of one screen replacement will be nearly the cost of a new machine.

Look at the three, tell the group which you like and your budget.

<pekingduck@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm actually looking forward to purchase a laptop for me to carry
> around doing the following either during meetings in public, in office
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 17, 2004 12:37:58 AM

Hi Mark,

I have been using a HP Pavilion zd7010us for a little more than a
year, and it is a great machine. It is so good, that I haven't even
seriously considered buying a new laptop.

Remember, that mine is last year's model, the specs are;

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.66GHz, 533MHz

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 256MB) at 333MHz;
maximum memory 2048MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 1024MB)

Hard drive 60GB Enhanced IDE [gigabyte is defined as
1,000,000,000 bytes,
accessible capacity may vary]

Multimedia drive DVD/CD-RW combo drive

Display 17" WXGA+ WVA TFT (1440 x 900) display

Ports 4 USB 2, 1 firewire, 1 SD card,
1 PC-Card type I, II, III,
IrDA, Microphone in, Headphone out, S-Video,

VGA, Parallel Printer,

Communications Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g,
Integrated V.90/V.92 56K modem
(RJ-11 connector),
Integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45
connector)

Video NVIDIA® GeForce4 440 Go (with 64MB discrete
DDR SDRAM)

Sound 16-bit Sound Blaster® Pro-compatible audio;
Internal Harman/Kardon® speakers;
volume control and mute buttons

Weight 9.3 lb.

Dimensions 15.67" (L) x 10.94" (W) x 1.67"
(front H) x 1.85" (rear H)

I was in CompUSA the other day, and they have new models of the
zd7000 series computer.

It is well designed and sturdy. I have traveled all over the country
with it. It is heavy though. When I go through some of the larger
Airports, I am glad my bag has wheels <vbg>.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

pekingduck@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm actually looking forward to purchase a laptop for me to carry
> around doing the following either during meetings in public, in office
> or at clients premises :-
>
> 1) Business presentations - Powerpoint, Excel
> 2) Prototype presentations - ColdFusion, VB, SQL 2000, Flash, Director
> 3) Graphics, video / audio editing - Vegas, Premiere,
> Illustrator, Photoshop
> 4) Uploading / Downloading to ftp / web servers (so i'd definitely need
> built in WLAN)
>
> My question is simply
>
> A) Intel Pentium 4 or Pentium Centrino?
> B) Which laptop brand should i go for in terms of reliability,
> durability, support and the ability to run Red Hat Linux or dual boot
> to Windows as well. I do need it to be 17" widescreen too with at least
> a DVD Rom / CDR and to be able to perform the above 1) to 4).
>
> Built in Bluetooth, SVideo Out, SPDIF and memory card readers are
> SECONDARY for me. Shape, outlook and weight is also SECONDARY.
>
> Thank you. Your generous and valuable feedback is much appreciated.
> Best Regards,
> Mark

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 17, 2004 12:42:37 AM

It's odd, I cannot find my reply...
Well, I'll post again.

You'll need a Pentium M for better battery life for Pentium 4 or P4M
hausts power much.
I suggest Samsung P30, that may fit you well.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 17, 2004 1:28:08 AM

interested in linkage that shows P4s "aren't much faster" in video/audio
processing.

"sleezy beetch" <will@biosafeone.com> wrote in message
> Get a Pentium M. Don't believe that P4's are really much faster
> because they aren't. I do 3D modeling and rendering in Lightwave 8
> along with other web design/photoshop stuff and my Pentium M 1.6 ghz is
> more than adequate. The $5000 Dell M60 workstation is a pentium M 2
> ghz so that should say something (plus a Quadro 3d card and lots of
> other goodies). If you really want your laptop to be portable and have
> decent battery life (double the P4's) then go w/ the centrino. I have
> a dell 8600 (15.4" widescreen) @ 1680x1050 but if you want 17" its not
> an option obviously.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop