Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB SSD and Windows 8 upgrade

Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2012 1:58:57 PM

Hello community,

I will be upgrading my Toshiba Qosmio X500-10T laptop (currently with two 512GB HDD, although only one has data on it) with a Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA SSD and then performing a clean installation of Windows 8.

My question: What settings should I change once switching the drive?
I'm thinking that there may be settings in the BIOS that might need to be changed.

Also, would it be recommended to remove the second HDD because of any possible performance issues running alongside the SSD?

Are the drivers on the laptop support page compatible with windows 8?

P.S. I have read about UEFI, is there a way to update/upgrade existing BIOS to UEFI?

I know this is a lot of questions, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Buzz
a b * Windows 8
a b Ô Samsung
a c 167 G Storage
December 9, 2012 2:20:16 PM

A SSD will transform the performance of your laptop.

I would remove the hard drives before doing a clean install of windows either 7 or 8.
Otherwise, windows will put a hidden recovery pertition on the second drive.
No special drivers are needed to support a SSD, windows includes them.
The only setting of importance that you need to check is to be certain that the sata mode is set to AHCI. That is now the common default.

After install, just enjoy. Don't bother with any micromanaging "tweaks", they are not worth the bother.

If your bios is not UEFI capable, it probably could not be changed. UEFI needs more bios Non volatile ram space.

Lastly, consider carefully your reasons for changing to Windows 8.
I do not consider it an upgrade. The primary benefit is faster boot times which is academic with a SSD.
Past that, the new user interface is different, but not better.
I hated it when I tried it.
December 10, 2012 9:59:23 AM

Thanks for your response geofelt.

How would I check whether my BIOS is UEFI capable?

Also, is my understanding correct: after placing in the SSD and before allowing the machine to boot with the OS installation CD, would I need to enter Setup (via one of the F keys, can't remember which one) to ensure SATA mode is set to AHCI?

Many thanks.

Buzz
a b * Windows 8
a b Ô Samsung
a c 167 G Storage
December 10, 2012 1:40:54 PM

Buzz Buzz said:
Thanks for your response geofelt.

How would I check whether my BIOS is UEFI capable?

Also, is my understanding correct: after placing in the SSD and before allowing the machine to boot with the OS installation CD, would I need to enter Setup (via one of the F keys, can't remember which one) to ensure SATA mode is set to AHCI?

Many thanks.

Buzz

The meth0d differs.
I think the F key to enter setup might be correct.
Other common methods are del or F2.
Just keep tapping the keys during boot.
You will be looking for the SATA mode parameter.
!