PSU Suggestion?

Last response: in Components
November 23, 2010 5:36:19 PM

Here are my specs so far:

AMD Phenom II x4 955
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB
Sapphire Radeon 6850 Toxic
ASRock 890GX Extreme4

Please let the power supply be Crossfire ready, and have enough wattage for future upgrades!

Thanks!
~Pyro

More about : psu suggestion

a b ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 5:52:58 PM

Hi, pyrogx.

Here is a handy tool for you to determin how many watts you PC will need: Antec Power Supply Calculator , keep in mind though this is and estimate but a good number to go by when looking for a PSU. Since the 6850 is so new it is not included into the Calc. yet so use the 5850 on the list, it requires more power than the 6850 but will give you a good amount of headroom.

From your specs. and helping others with the same question a nice ~600w PSU is probably what you are going to need, here is a nice model to consider: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W . What other future upgrades are you considering?

If you have more questions after using the Calculator, I assume you will, let us know how many watts it recommended for you.
Score
Related resources
November 23, 2010 6:12:03 PM

thechief73 said:
Hi, pyrogx.

Here is a handy tool for you to determin how many watts you PC will need: Antec Power Supply Calculator , keep in mind though this is and estimate but a good number to go by when looking for a PSU. Since the 6850 is so new it is not included into the Calc. yet so use the 5850 on the list, it requires more power than the 6850 but will give you a good amount of headroom.

From your specs. and helping others with the same question a nice ~600w PSU is probably what you are going to need, here is a nice model to consider: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W . What other future upgrades are you considering?

If you have more questions after using the Calculator, I assume you will, let us know how many watts it recommended for you.

Future upgrades include...sound card, another 6850 for Crossfire, more RAM, case fans, etc.

Also....using the calculator...it says required minimum wattage=754w....egh.
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 7:03:39 PM

Well, 750w might be a good choice for you, RAM and Fans barley add any power requirements and I have never seen the power use of a sound card but I bet its below 25w. And that calculator gives you enuff headrom esspecially if you chose high end desktop and 20% cap aging in its estimate, along with using the 5850's gives you ever more room to play with.
November 23, 2010 7:30:56 PM

Alright, thank you!
Score
November 23, 2010 7:31:24 PM

Best answer selected by pyrogx.
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 7:35:00 PM

pyrogx said:
Future upgrades include...sound card, another 6850 for Crossfire, more RAM, case fans, etc.

Also....using the calculator...it says required minimum wattage=754w....egh.

I can't imagine what you would have input to come with that number.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 23, 2010 7:49:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!