IInferno

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hi, I built my own pc back in June of the year, and all has been working fine. Yesterday was working fine and shut down like normal, then this morning i tried to turn it on and the cpu warning light has come up on my motherboard (ASUS P7P55-e Pro).

The cpu fan doesnt start and the red light for the cpu check stays on. The CPU i have is an intel i5 750. Both MB and CPU are well within their warranty. My case is an Antec 300 and everytime i checked the temp of gfx card (sapphire hd 5770 vapor-x) and cpu they were almost room temp.

I have tried cleaning the dust out of the fan and heatsink but this has had no effect.

The cpu was bought from ebuyer and just need some help advice before i take my desktop into a tech team to start the warranty claim ball rolling.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi IInferno,

I do not know if your motherboard has this feature, but I have read sometimes if your CPU fan is not working or plugged in the motherboard properly, as a safty feature it will not allow you to turn on your PC. So if there is any way you could try another CPU fan or just make sure the one you have is in proper working condition that would be a good thing to check.

IInferno

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Thanks for the speedy response, I do think the MB has that safety feature but i don't have the option of a spare fan. I do think 5 months is easily the fastest ive burnt out a fan (4 yrs is only other). If it is the fan I doubt its worth trying to get back the £xx for a new fan from ebuyer or intel.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Ok, if the probelm is with the fan or the CPU I doubt the place you have purchased it from will replace it for you after 4 months unless you bought a warranty from them, you will have to deal with Intel directly with either one. What does the motherboard manual say about the CPU warning light?

IInferno

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Tested with a new fan, and the fan doesn't start. I fear it may be either the i5 chip has failed or the mobo has given up. Not nice as both are expensive parts which means warranty claims.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Do you have any other fan connections on your motherboard you can try them out on? And whats does your motherboard manual say about the warning light?

From what I have read in the manual is that if the light is red then that is the part that has the problem pg. 2-41 . Are you able to use the PC? If the CPU light is on there is something wrong with it, have you worked on your PC recently or changed anything?

IInferno

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

Was working fine the night before then didnt work the next morning. New fan works for sure (used an old tower to test). Yes the cpu light is solid red. I've mailed ASUS about the issue but taking the comp into a shop to test if it is a fault with the mobo or processor. Though the fact it seems a fault located to just the processor seems to point there.