Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Budget Gaming rig, Spain

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 2, 2010 8:30:11 AM

Hi all

Now if this was for me I wouldn't be so thorough but I have gotten roped into building a rig for my brother in law (even though I have never built one before, only modified existing rigs). We did look at pre-made systems but the graphics cards were all a bit naf and the prices worse. Now to build this I will source all the bits from pixamania which seems to stock lots of things. Unfortunately in Spain we are ripped off on the prices as the Euro figures seem to match the usd prices. So here we go. Budget 700€ (750 at a strech)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Now
BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800) 700 Euros
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Internet, Gaming (Total war and a few fps - he has a ps3 for gta.)
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS - just the vitals
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/informatica/4-univers.htm... [/url" target="_blank">
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Spain
PARTS PREFERENCES: Any
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Already has full hd monitor for ps3 - HDMI cable - which will work
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Don't care if it is ugly as long as it is fast enough.

I have tried below a build but obviously would like to know if you suggest anything else or if this is no use or not compatable or if I have forgotton anything that I need, e.g does the cooler come with the processor?, the case seems to come with power supply:

Intel Core i5-750 - 2,66 GHz - Cache L3 8 MB - Socket LGA 1156 (versión caja)
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/6009326/art/intel/core-i5...
€179.00

MSI H55M-E33 - Socket 1156 - Chipset H55 - Micro ATX
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/4626438/art/msi/h55m-e33-...
€73.90

OCZ Memoria PC Obsidian Ultra-Low Voltage 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 (OCZ3OB1600LV4GK)
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/3777396/art/ocz/memoria-p...
€96.00

SAMSUNG SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ - Disco duro - 1 TB - interno - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - búfer: 32 MB
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/4121963/art/samsung/spinp...
€67.90

PALIT GeForce GTX 460 Sonic - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0 (NE5X460SF1102)
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/6533108/art/palit/geforce...
€189.90

ADVANCE Torre PC Slim Digital 8715LCD - Color negro
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/6567819/art/advance/torre...
€52.81

Total: €659.51 (although the mb and ram were the cheapest I could get)

Cheers!

23
September 2, 2010 8:51:19 AM

I would be very concerned about running that system on the 480W power supply provided with that case. 480W would be enough for those components, but generic power supplies are usually overrated. The GTX 460 also requires two PCI-E 6-pin power connectors which will likely not be present on that power supply. You could use adapters if the connectors are not there, but this is not recommended. I would look for a more reliable aftermarket power supply, at least one with the PCI-E connectors.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:03:19 AM

wielander said:
I would be very concerned about running that system on the 480W power supply provided with that case. 480W would be enough for those components, but generic power supplies are usually overrated. The GTX 460 also requires two PCI-E 6-pin power connectors which will likely not be present on that power supply. You could use adapters if the connectors are not there, but this is not recommended. I would look for a more reliable aftermarket power supply, at least one with the PCI-E connectors.


Hi Wielander

OK, so I just found a pack of a coolermaster Tower with Coolermaster power supply for 99.93 euros


COOLER MASTER Tower PC Elite 430 + Power supply PC GX 550 W (RS-550-ACAA-E3)
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/5985804/art/cooler-master...

Power supply comes with this: 1 x ATX 20+4 Pin, 1 x CPU 4+4 Pin, 2 x PCI-E 6+2 Pin, 6 x SATA, 3 x periféricos 4-Pin, 1 x floppy 4-Pin

Just inside budget..

Better?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 2, 2010 9:10:14 AM

Yes, that is much better. That website is painfully slow and difficult to navigate; I'm sorry you don't have newegg.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:18:18 AM


That graphics card might not fit

OCZ Ram has been of rather poor quality lately.

at youre price range an AMD processor is probably a better value.

an Asus AMD 870 Chipset Motherboard is E83,53
yo could go to the MSI770 board for only E54

And an AMD Athlon II x4 635 Is E103, or a Phenom II X4 955 is 133

with that you can afford a better PSU and a full size mid-tower case
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:22:46 AM

23hp said:


I have tried below a build but obviously would like to know if you suggest anything else or if this is no use or not compatable or if I have forgotton anything that I need, e.g does the cooler come with the processor?



Oh, as long as it's a box processor (as pictured), it should come with the stock cooler. Even if your brother-in-law decides to overclock it, the stock cooler should be sufficient up to over 3 GHz.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:29:45 AM

wielander said:
Oh, as long as it's a box processor (as pictured), it should come with the stock cooler. Even if your brother-in-law decides to overclock it, the stock cooler should be sufficient up to over 3 GHz.


Excellen, thanks
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:34:10 AM

The new Cooler Master case that you found adds plenty of space for the video card. So don't worry about that.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:48:06 AM

As for AMD builds offering a better value, that's probably true. Most current processors are more than powerful enough for gaming. You would very rarely, if at all, be able to tell a difference between an i5-750, Phenom II X4 955, or Athlon II X4 while gaming.

In terms of general performance, however, value is debatable. The i5-750 is all about overclocking potential in my opinion. The stock clock is very low, and it is not that much faster overall than the Phenom II X4 955. If you don't really expect that your brother-in-law will overclock his computer, then the Phenom II X4 955 is certainly a better value.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:52:19 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
That graphics card might not fit

OCZ Ram has been of rather poor quality lately.

at youre price range an AMD processor is probably a better value.

an Asus AMD 870 Chipset Motherboard is E83,53
yo could go to the MSI770 board for only E54

And an AMD Athlon II x4 635 Is E103, or a Phenom II X4 955 is 133

with that you can afford a better PSU and a full size mid-tower case



Hi

Thanks. So for the AMD system we are talking the MB and Proc being the same price as the i5.

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core - 2,9 GHz - Socket AM3 (ADX635WFGIBOX)
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/4788841/art/amd/athlon-ii...
€107.19

MSI 770-C45 - Socket AM3 - Chipset 770 - ATX
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/6567112/art/msi/770-c45-s...
€73.09

Where did you get your prices? What sort of preformance hit are we talking as I want this to last him a good few years?

Cheers




Cheers
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:55:13 AM

wielander said:
As for AMD builds offering a better value, that's probably true. Most current processors are more than powerful enough for gaming. You would very rarely, if at all, be able to tell a difference between an i5-750, Phenom II X4 955, or Athlon II X4 while gaming.

In terms of general performance, however, value is debatable. The i5-750 is all about overclocking potential in my opinion. The stock clock is very low, and it is not that much faster overall than the Phenom II X4 955. If you don't really expect that your brother-in-law will overclock his computer, then the Phenom II X4 955 is certainly a better value.


I really don't think he will OC as he wants it to last and he probably doesnt know what oc is...

So I might need a rething of the entire system here with the Athlon X4. Will look again now and see what I can come up with.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 9:59:55 AM
September 2, 2010 10:14:41 AM

Wow, completely different system!

As for the DVD I think he only has IDE one. He would only need a cheap job.

The 5850 looks like a beast (I'm only running a 5670). Silly question, but is it worth the 90€ more than the 460?
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 12:36:36 PM

mosox configuration looks more promising, than the one from pixmania.

btw : if the IDE DVD burner is still working, no need to get a new one.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 4:05:44 PM

23hp said:
Silly question, but is it worth the 90€ more than the 460?


The 460 is very good but the 5850 is more powerful + some better quality components (PSU, case, CPU). And he can sell his PS3 - he can play all the games better on the PC. And as guanyu210379 said, he can use his IDE DVD-RW.



m
0
l
September 2, 2010 8:42:11 PM

nice, seems we have a done deal then. Thanks to all.
m
0
l
!