Sign in with
Your question

One SSD, Two HDD to Dual Boot using Intel SRT

Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2012 3:14:53 PM

I am currently running Windows 7 on a regular HDD while using an Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD to cache it and improve performance using Intel's SRT. Right now it only uses 32GB of the drive for the SRT cache. I am about to install another regular HDD to install Windows 8 on and was wondering if I can use some of the empty space left on the same SSD to use another SRT cache partition to get comparable performance.

I've heard of people using two separate SSD's to accelerate separate OS's but I'm looking at two separate OS's with only one SSD. Apologies if this question has been asked before but I could not find it on any forums. Any help would be great as I would like to investigate it before just jumping in to try it hoping not to ruin my system.

I'd also like to know if anyone else would like to try a similar setup or has tried it and how it worked for them. Thanks!
a b å Intel
a c 124 G Storage
December 9, 2012 4:01:01 PM

1st I don't undertand why you use the 180GB SSD to cache the HDD. If i were you i will install the win7 into the 520.

For the dual boot I will recommend to do it on the intel 520 ( two equal 90 GB partitions) too, I add the link here http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows... and move the temp, page files, other programs into HDD.

I did this on my old PC ( CPU E6300 o/c to 3.8GHz, 4GB RAM and HD4770, win7 / win8 64bit, OCZ vertex2 120GB ) in two equal partitions if you don't use a lot of the programs and games.
m
l
December 9, 2012 4:38:57 PM

Thanks for the quick response cin19. First off:
Quote:
1st I don't undertand why you use the 180GB SSD to cache the HDD. If i were you i will install the win7 into the 520.

I do have plans for the rest of the space on the SSD. This is purely a hobbyist/curiosity type question not for use on a permanent setup. I am a student just experimenting with things in my spare time.
Second, back to the question at hand, I'm just looking to see if you can use the Intel SRT twice with two different HDD on the same SSD, not looking for a recommended setup, but thanks again for the recommendation and the info.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 9, 2012 4:56:24 PM

Thinking you're the first human to want to try this. Let us know how it goes, please!

Actually, I think you would want to partion off a second 32GB chunk for the other OS cache. Should work but who knows. Might create a quantum singularity.
m
l
December 9, 2012 5:29:52 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think you would want to partion off a second 32GB chunk for the other OS cache. Should work but who knows. Might create a quantum singularity.

For sure I'll need that second 32GB partition as I don't want the SRT to overwrite the data from the Windows 7 setup. Thanks for the info J_E_D_70

If I don't get any firm answers by the end of the day, I'll probably go ahead and give it a try. I'll make sure to post an update on the progress unless I get pulled into the singularity :??: 
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 124 G Storage
December 9, 2012 5:49:24 PM

You don't need the 2nd 32GB SSD. You only need the intel 520 180GB and other HDD.

Whe I do this, I nstall the win8 first and don't connect any HDD, after update and other drivers for the MB and video card, then go to Disk Manager to set up the 2nd 60GB prtition "name win7", you can name whatever you want by “shrink volume” ( in your case you can use 90GB). Turn off the PC.

Install the win7 on the 2nd partition, after update and other drivers for the MB and video card, turn off the PC, connect the HDD. Turn on the PC, then you can choose to boot up either win7 or win8, do the tweak and optimization SSD: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/270102-14-useful-ar... , re-location some of folds or install the some programs into the HDD. And you are done.
m
l
December 9, 2012 6:42:56 PM

Quote:
You don't need the 2nd 32GB SSD. You only need the intel 520 180GB and other HDD.

Thanks again for the input cin19, but I'm not sure you understand the question or how Intel SRT works. When responding to J_E_D_70 we were discussing making a second 32GB partition on the same Intel 520, not a 2nd SSD. Intel SRT uses a partition or whole drive (up to 64GB) as a cache for a regularly connected SATA HDD. Since my drive is bigger than 64GB, I have it set up to only use a 32GB partition of the drive for the cache and the rest is free to use as I please. I would like to use part of that extra space for a 2nd 32GB partition on the same SSD as a 2nd Intel SRT partition to boost a 2nd HDD that will have Windows 8 installed on it thereby giving me my one SSD and two HDD, dual boot setup. In the end, nothing, not even the OS, will be directly installed on any partition of the SSD but used as a giant cache for each HDD managed by the Intel SRT.

There is a basic explanation of the Intel SRT or Smart Response Technology at the link you provided along with a basic overview of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology that helps manage it. I recommend taking a look at it if there is further confusion about what I'm asking. If you feel that I am not understanding your suggestion, please let me know.
m
l
December 10, 2012 3:56:31 PM

Update:

Well, it looks like the Intel SRT tech is only setup to accelerate one drive at a time. The RST (Rapid Storage Technology) which sets up and manages the SRT cache partition will only allow one drive at a time and you must first disable the original before moving to another drive or partition to accelerate.

It's kind of a let down, but I do understand that it simplifys things quite a bit. But imagine if instead of having just one fast OS or Drive, you could partition that across multiple drives and OS's giving a boost to every drive in the system! I Multi-boot alot of things for developing, testing, and just curiosity's sake and I was hoping that if if could be applied to each Windows OS, I might hold out for hope accelerating a storage HDD and Linux Boot Drive as well. Oh well, now it's off to make a section of the SSD a SWAP partition for Linux, heck I may just use the rest of the space on there. We'll see...

Thanks to cin19 for input and J_E_D_70 for the warning about creating a quantum singularity. Unfortunately this is a no go :( 
m
l
a b G Storage
December 10, 2012 6:38:06 PM

Thanks for investigating! Sorry it didn't work. Cool idea, tho.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 124 G Storage
December 10, 2012 7:08:02 PM

The RST is for using the small SSD to cache the large HDD to improve the PC performance, because that time the SSD is very expensive. But now we can buy it for less.

And the SSD vs SSD cache with the HDD performances are big different, that is why I said " I don't undertand why you use the 180GB SSD to cache the HDD". Bcause you have the intel 520 180GB SSD, but you use it for cache the HDD, and this is your choice, I can't make any comments.

And the fact I can install the both win7/win8 in the one SSD, that is why I recommend to you.
m
l
December 11, 2012 12:00:19 PM

Thanks ScotchGuard taking time to test it, i was thinking of the same thing...Cheers
m
l
!