Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drives explanation

Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2012 5:18:11 PM

Hi, I'm a bit of a pc noob when it comes to hard drives so I thought that I could you guys here before spending money.
I'm building up a new pc and I'm thinking of having a set up like this for the storage:-

- a Samsung 250GB SSD as my main C: Boot Drive where I'll install all my games, programs and etc..
- a 2nd 1TB Hard drive which will be for storage (i.e. 1080p Movies, tv shows, pictures, music and other stuff that I download)

My question is, can I install games or programs on the 1TB hard drive? I don't really know how it works but my guess is that I can only install games and programs on my main drive. I currently own a laptop so I've never used a pc with more than 2 HDs that why I'm asking a question that might sound dumb to you :??: 

Depending on the question above, which brand of HD will you recommend me for the 1TB one? I think that a SATA 6 Gb/s with a buffer cache of 64 MB is the best option, right?

Thank you in advance for your reply :) 

Best solution

a c 86 G Storage
December 9, 2012 6:17:24 PM

The HDD will get a different drive letter (d: or e:)  Whenever you install programs, klick on the advanced setup and change the install path to d:\programs. That's it.
December 14, 2012 1:59:01 PM

Best answer selected by WarrenCKC.
m
l
December 14, 2012 1:59:57 PM

noidea_77 said:
The HDD will get a different drive letter (d: or e:)  Whenever you install programs, klick on the advanced setup and change the install path to d:\programs. That's it.

Thanks a lot :)  I know it was a dumb question but I've never had more than 2 hard drive on my pc.
m
l
!