USB Device not recognized (Inspiron 600m)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 16, 2004 7:59:26 AM

Hi,

I have a fairly new DelL Inspiron 600m running Win XP Pro. Recently I have
been having a very annoying problem. I keep getting dialogue popping up
saying:

"USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this
computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...."

I do not have anything attached to the USB port. I have tried to un-install
the USB drivers and re-starting the computer. XP just detects and
re-installs the USB drivers and the pop-up starts again. The only way to
stop it, is to disable all of the USB devices in control panel, but this is
not practical ofcourse (since I need USB). It will just not go away. Please
help!!

Thanks
Musty.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 7:59:27 AM

I don't think it would help much. Insert another USB device into that
port, ensure the device is avaiable on other computers, see if it works
on yours. If not, sorry, you'd better contact the dell techinical
support ASAP.
December 16, 2004 10:14:52 AM

Musty <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
: Hi,

: I have a fairly new DelL Inspiron 600m running Win XP Pro. Recently I have
: been having a very annoying problem. I keep getting dialogue popping up
: saying:

: "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this
: computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...."

Go to the Dell website and download all the updates for the 600m you
can find and install them. Also, have you run Windows Update lately?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Musty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly new DelL Inspiron 600m running Win XP Pro. Recently I
> have been having a very annoying problem. I keep getting dialogue
> popping up saying:
>
> "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this
> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...."
>
> I do not have anything attached to the USB port. I have tried to
> un-install the USB drivers and re-starting the computer. XP just
> detects and re-installs the USB drivers and the pop-up starts again.
> The only way to stop it, is to disable all of the USB devices in
> control panel, but this is not practical ofcourse (since I need USB).
> It will just not go away. Please help!!

Take this to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where the Dell experts reside. One
thing to try is from a command prompt type: sfc /scannow to check the
integrity of the system files. Have the install CD handy if the folder
i386 is not available somewhere on the system. If you have a full XP
install CD, then a repair install might be helpful. Another is to boot
to BIOS setup, set everything to defaults one time, and then restart and
restore any particular settings on the next boot to force the OS to
re-read NVRAM. Also check in BIOS setup if there is an option to boot
from USB and disable that if it exists. Perhaps you once connected a
new USB device to that port and decided not to go through with the
installation, leaving some corruption in the hardware manager. If you
open Device Manager, Show Hidden Devices, perhaps something shows up
that would offer a clue to solving the problem. The Dell ng and Dell
support are your best first options, though.

a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 1:46:18 PM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
>I do not have anything attached to the USB port.

Several internal things may be connected via USB. Check in Device
Manager using <View> <Devices by connection> and drill down till you
find all the USB controllers and the things attached to them.

Depending on your configuration, your floppy, CD-Rom, BlueTooth,
keyboard, mouse, touchpad, or other things could be connected via USB
without your realizing it...
December 16, 2004 7:35:20 PM

Also check for Virus/Spam/Worm and stuff like that. A guy at work had
this same problem, but I'm not sure how it was fixed.

Or try a full re-install of XP.

Let us know what works!

samurai

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:07:17 -0700, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>Musty wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a fairly new DelL Inspiron 600m running Win XP Pro. Recently I
>> have been having a very annoying problem. I keep getting dialogue
>> popping up saying:
>>
>> "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this
>> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...."
>>
>> I do not have anything attached to the USB port. I have tried to
>> un-install the USB drivers and re-starting the computer. XP just
>> detects and re-installs the USB drivers and the pop-up starts again.
>> The only way to stop it, is to disable all of the USB devices in
>> control panel, but this is not practical ofcourse (since I need USB).
>> It will just not go away. Please help!!
>>

>Take this to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where the Dell experts reside. One
>thing to try is from a command prompt type: sfc /scannow to check the
>integrity of the system files. Have the install CD handy if the folder
>i386 is not available somewhere on the system. If you have a full XP
>install CD, then a repair install might be helpful. Another is to boot
>to BIOS setup, set everything to defaults one time, and then restart and
>restore any particular settings on the next boot to force the OS to
>re-read NVRAM. Also check in BIOS setup if there is an option to boot
>from USB and disable that if it exists. Perhaps you once connected a
>new USB device to that port and decided not to go through with the
>installation, leaving some corruption in the hardware manager. If you
>open Device Manager, Show Hidden Devices, perhaps something shows up
>that would offer a clue to solving the problem. The Dell ng and Dell
>support are your best first options, though.

December 16, 2004 7:41:17 PM

Just found this from Google:
http://csilo.com/vpost.aspx?aid=818

wrote:

>Musty wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a fairly new DelL Inspiron 600m running Win XP Pro. Recently I
>> have been having a very annoying problem. I keep getting dialogue
>> popping up saying:
>>
>> "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this
>> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...."
>>
>> I do not have anything attached to the USB port. I have tried to
>> un-install the USB drivers and re-starting the computer. XP just
>> detects and re-installs the USB drivers and the pop-up starts again.
>> The only way to stop it, is to disable all of the USB devices in
>> control panel, but this is not practical ofcourse (since I need USB).
>> It will just not go away. Please help!!
>>

>Take this to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where the Dell experts reside. One
>thing to try is from a command prompt type: sfc /scannow to check the
>integrity of the system files. Have the install CD handy if the folder
>i386 is not available somewhere on the system. If you have a full XP
>install CD, then a repair install might be helpful. Another is to boot
>to BIOS setup, set everything to defaults one time, and then restart and
>restore any particular settings on the next boot to force the OS to
>re-read NVRAM. Also check in BIOS setup if there is an option to boot
>from USB and disable that if it exists. Perhaps you once connected a
>new USB device to that port and decided not to go through with the
>installation, leaving some corruption in the hardware manager. If you
>open Device Manager, Show Hidden Devices, perhaps something shows up
>that would offer a clue to solving the problem. The Dell ng and Dell
>support are your best first options, though.

December 17, 2004 9:31:40 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will try these out and let the group
know what worked.

"samurai" <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message
> Just found this from Google:
> http://csilo.com/vpost.aspx?aid=818
>
> samurai
>
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:07:17 -0700, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Musty wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a fairly new DelL Inspiron 600m running Win XP Pro. Recently I
> >> have been having a very annoying problem. I keep getting dialogue
> >> popping up saying:
> >>
> >> "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this
> >> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...."
> >>
> >> I do not have anything attached to the USB port. I have tried to
> >> un-install the USB drivers and re-starting the computer. XP just
> >> detects and re-installs the USB drivers and the pop-up starts again.
> >> The only way to stop it, is to disable all of the USB devices in
> >> control panel, but this is not practical ofcourse (since I need USB).
> >> It will just not go away. Please help!!
> >>

> >Take this to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where the Dell experts reside. One
> >thing to try is from a command prompt type: sfc /scannow to check the
> >integrity of the system files. Have the install CD handy if the folder
> >i386 is not available somewhere on the system. If you have a full XP
> >install CD, then a repair install might be helpful. Another is to boot
> >to BIOS setup, set everything to defaults one time, and then restart and
> >restore any particular settings on the next boot to force the OS to
> >re-read NVRAM. Also check in BIOS setup if there is an option to boot
> >from USB and disable that if it exists. Perhaps you once connected a
> >new USB device to that port and decided not to go through with the
> >installation, leaving some corruption in the hardware manager. If you
> >open Device Manager, Show Hidden Devices, perhaps something shows up
> >that would offer a clue to solving the problem. The Dell ng and Dell
> >support are your best first options, though.

a b D Laptop
December 17, 2004 9:02:38 PM

THIS IS NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE. This error message is caused by the
internal bluetooth card disconnecting and reconnecting on the
motherboard. Don't believe me? Search dell forums for this error
message. Press down on the bottom of the left palm rest. The message
will dissapear. This is a hardware problem which all the 600m's and
d600's have. THERE IS NO FIX. Get rid of the bluetooth card or get a
different system. I had three system exchanges all have the same
problem.

Musty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly new DelL Inspiron 600m running Win XP Pro. Recently I
have
> been having a very annoying problem. I keep getting dialogue popping
up
> saying:
>
> "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this
> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...."
>
> I do not have anything attached to the USB port. I have tried to
un-install
> the USB drivers and re-starting the computer. XP just detects and
> re-installs the USB drivers and the pop-up starts again. The only way
> stop it, is to disable all of the USB devices in control panel, but
this is
> not practical ofcourse (since I need USB). It will just not go away.
Please
> help!!
>
> Thanks
> Musty.
December 18, 2004 9:29:11 PM

This seems a likely candidate. Thanks...

!