Sign in with
Your question

M4 detected in bios but won't boot into windows anymore?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • BIOS
  • Boot
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2012 5:40:17 PM

Have an issue with my M4 drive... It was working just fine until one night it would no longer boot into windows. Now it only boots to the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

I've tried to reset the bios, which I was able to do, but still get the error. Checking my list of drives, I see the M4 drive in my bios, it is set as the primary boot drive... Not sure what the deal is.

Any suggestions on how I can tackle this issue? I assume my drive isn't bad because the bios can detect it?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT:
Looks like I may have spoken too soon... The M4 did appear in the bios just fine but it looks like the problem has evolved.

Now during boot it says

Auto-Detecting SATA Port 1... IDE Dark Disk
Auto-Detecting SATA Port 2... ATAPI CD-ROM
Auto-Detecting SATA Port 3...

And it is hangs there for a while... Then

Auto-Detecting SATA Port 3... Not Detected

Then quickly go through the rest of the boot. It hangs there for a good minute or two. Maybe my M4 really is dying/dead then if it's being detected/undetected like this. Any ideas/input? Thanks again.

EDIT: Now it's not appearing, says Not Detected in bios.

Something else odd and frustrating is that when I try to run a windows boot disk it just hangs after it says it's going to boot the CD.... And does not load the disk. Not sure what is up with that or if it's in any way related.

More about : detected bios boot windows anymore

a b G Storage
December 9, 2012 5:48:32 PM

Do you have an option to select a boot drive at early boot (not going into bios)? if yes (most do) see if this works as a temp/check solution.
m
l
December 9, 2012 5:56:06 PM

mesab66 said:
Do you have an option to select a boot drive at early boot (not going into bios)? if yes (most do) see if this works as a temp/check solution.

Yeah tried that and before, I could choose the M4, but now it appears to be gone. My boot time is running extremely sluggish, as if it's trying to detect the SSD but then eventually times out.

When I remove the Sata cable from the M4 and try to boot it goes much faster... Probably going to chalk this up to a failed SSD, sad, I haven't even had it for a year.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 9, 2012 6:11:25 PM

Have you tried the M4 in another Sata port? Some motherboards have issues where Sata from some ports bandwidth might be affected by other devices.
m
l
!