Compare Intel i5-650 and i5-760

jimbobv

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I want to buy the Dell Inspiron 580s, as opposed to the 580, because the 580s lies flat and the monitor goes on top. Both can be configured identically, except the 580s will only accept up to the i5-650 processor. If I want to get the i5-760, I have to go to the full size 580 and pay $70 more. I do a lot of general computer stuff like documents, spread sheets, e-mail, etc. I never play games, and graphics are not important. Will it be worth the cost and inconvenience for me to "upgrade " to the i5-760, which appears slower?
jimbobv

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi jimbobv, Welcome to THW.

If you prefer the style of the 580s then go ahead and by that PC. With the work you have listed to use your PC for you do not need to upgrade to the i5-760, which is the faster and better performing of the two CPU's. Here is a site comparing those two CPU's in several app's: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/144?vs=191 .

If all your going to use your PC for is word, email, web surfing, as long as your not working with HUGE word and spreadsheet files you do not need to upgrade, and even if you were to the improvement in your case will be minimal.

I hope that is able to help you make your choice easier. :)

Honestly, either of those is adequate enough to handle your requirements.. You may want to get the i5 760 though as it is a quad core and gives you enough horse power to move on to more demanding apps if and when the need arrives.. Personally though, for your current work requirements, i'd love to recommend an iMac.. Add style to your work..

Honestly, either of those is adequate enough to handle your requirements.. You may want to get the i5 760 though as it is a quad core and gives you enough horse power to move on to more demanding apps if and when the need arrives.. Personally though, for your current work requirements, i'd love to recommend an iMac.. Add style to your work..