"CPU Thermal Monitor" kills my performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I realized my CPU was running at 1.5 GHz rather than my stock 2.8GHz (i5 760) so I went in the BIOS and tinkered with some of the settings.

After disabling the setting "CPU Thermal Monitor" it gave me all 2.8GHz back to my computer, but when I run CPUStab Test it tells me that my system is unstable.

How do I enable this setting without it killing my performance?

*edit* Im using a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 mobo

Solution

Your CPU will by default clock down when there is no task that needs the CPU power. And crank back up to full speed when something demanding happens. To check if this is really happening, open a game or something, and then check the CPU speed. If its still happening post back here.

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

It has been doing this ever since I built my PC (which was a few days ago) and everything was factory defaults then. I even removed the CMOS battery and its still doing the same thing

selks

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

Your CPU will by default clock down when there is no task that needs the CPU power. And crank back up to full speed when something demanding happens. To check if this is really happening, open a game or something, and then check the CPU speed. If its still happening post back here.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.