Davros

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002

Does anyone know how an Unreal Tournament 2004 server knows if you have a
particular file? How does it go go about checking if you already have a
particular file? Does it simply check every file in every directory or is
there a more specific approach?

I ask in order to help someone who already has a certain file (not in the
cache directory, but where it belongs) but when he tries to play a game
online this same file gets shot at him. It is too large for him to
download before getting timed out and disconnected.

I think UT gets the level, a list of custom skins, etc. from the server,
looks for all the dependent files and asks the server to transfer the
missing ones. the problem might be the the files have both the same name but
different content so ut wants to fetch the file.

Meltdown

Davros enlightened us with:
> Does anyone know how an Unreal Tournament 2004 server knows if you
> have a particular file? How does it go go about checking if you
> already have a particular file?

All the .u* files are basically the same file. The extension &
directory are simply for human recognition. Every file has a unique
identifier (UID) that is generated when the file is compiled /
generated.

The owner of the server has to mark some packages as "ServerPackage".
This should include all the files that need to be sent to the clients
in case they are missing. The UIDs of those files are sent, and for
every UID that the client does not have, it downloads it from the
server.

> I ask in order to help someone who already has a certain file (not
> in the cache directory, but where it belongs) but when he tries to
> play a game online this same file gets shot at him.

It's probably a newer version of the same file.

> It is too large for him to download before getting timed out and
> disconnected.

The he should go to the location where he originally downloaded it and
update his copy. Or ask the server maintainer for an URL of that
specific version of the file.

MeltDown
--

Davros

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002

MeltDown/Ralf:

Thank you both for responding to my post.

The person has the correct file and version in the right place already,
yet the server wants to send it to him. We are very confused. :)

Right now we are looking at his ut2004.ini file to see if will reveal
anything.

Again, thanks to both of you for responding.

Meltdown

Davros enlightened us with:
> The person has the correct file and version in the right place
> already, yet the server wants to send it to him. We are very
> confused. :)

Have you also checked the file's UID? That's the only thing that
counts.

MeltDown