Bounce Flash

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 1, 2005 11:01:20 PM

I have an old Nikon F2a and a Vivitar 285 Flash. I like using bounce
flash and it works fine. However, the flash tilts upwards when the
camera is in horizontal position.

I would like to shoot vertical and need some kind of a swivel to do
this. Does anyone know of an accessory that can fit the hot shoe on one
side and the flash on the other allowing bounce flash in the vertical
position.

More about : bounce flash

January 1, 2005 11:01:21 PM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:kkDBd.5125$wZ2.4372
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> I have an old Nikon F2a and a Vivitar 285 Flash. I like using bounce
> flash and it works fine. However, the flash tilts upwards when the
> camera is in horizontal position.
>
> I would like to shoot vertical and need some kind of a swivel to do
> this. Does anyone know of an accessory that can fit the hot shoe on one
> side and the flash on the other allowing bounce flash in the vertical
> position.

It would be easiest to buy a flash with a head that swivels, too, but the
other popular option is a flash bracket that allows switching the
orientation of the camera without changing the position of the flash. It's
kind of an L with a hinge.

Sunpak 444d goes for around $75 new, $20 used, and the head moves in a half
sphere.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
Anonymous

On Saturday 01 January 2005 12:01, measekite wrote:

> I have an old Nikon F2a and a Vivitar 285 Flash. I like using bounce
> flash and it works fine. However, the flash tilts upwards when the
> camera is in horizontal position.
>
> I would like to shoot vertical and need some kind of a swivel to do
> this. Does anyone know of an accessory that can fit the hot shoe on
> one side and the flash on the other allowing bounce flash in the
> vertical position.

Get a "flip" type flash bracket. It'll keep the flash centered over the
lens and oriented correctly. There are several manufacturers, most
notably Stroboframe.

And here's a little trick: take a white or silver card about 3 x 5
inches (75 x 125mm) and rubber band it to the 285 flash head so that it
reflects some of the light towards the subject, while most of the light
is bounced off the ceiling. This will fill the shadows in the eye
sockets and under the chin created from the bounce light coming totally
from above.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group