Sign in with
Your question

RAIDbox 5 setup for Laptop - My head is going to explode (Help!)

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Laptops
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2012 12:55:05 AM

Hi all,

My head feels like it's going to explode, and after much research I decided I'm just going to have to suck it up and ask potentially stupid questions point blank.

I have an extensive collection of videos and photos, and currently I have two external 2tb western digital elements hard drives connected via USB to my laptop. I'm running out of space, and rather than buy more hard drives (I'm out of USB slots anyways) I thought I would look into a RAID box. This is also to improve the security of my data as right now my back ups are haphazard.

So, this is where everything gets very technical for a novice like me.

In my research I've realised that NAS is too expensive and too complicated for my needs. I just need local storage like a RAID box such as one from Sans Digital.

http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid-plus/tr4utbpn.html

After researching the difference between RAID setups, I've decided that RAID 5 would suit my needs.

My questions are essentially:

1) How the heck do I set something like this up? Do I buy a Raid box such as the one above and a bunch of hard drives, slot them in, and hook them up to my laptop and expect to see a single drive? Like would it show up as Drive E or something?

2) I know I need a software or hardware Raid controller, but I can't just slide a card into my laptop as it won't work. But I found this, would this work? http://www.addonics.com/products/adexsa6g-2e.php

3) Basically my head is spinning and I don't know where to start. Help?

More about : raidbox setup laptop head explode

a b G Storage
December 10, 2012 2:10:58 PM

Usually head explosions are cause by unnecessary panic. First thing to do is calm down and take deep breaths. It is not as complicated as it seems, even for a novice.
1. The box you mention works very much the same as your existing USB drives. The main difference being you may need to install special software which accompany the box to manage the RAID devices. It should be as simply as plugging the box into your USB port, install the software, then follow the instruction to setup the RAID. Go to the download section, get the manual and read it thoroughly. Everything is easier if you are prepared. You can then ask specific question about terminology or processes you do not understand from the manual.
2. You do not need additonal RAID hardware for you laptop (if those even exists). The box will have all the internal components required for RAID configuration. Once the RAID is configured on the box, it should be presented as a USB storage device (you will have 1 drive per RAID or partition on the RAID).
m
l
December 13, 2012 11:35:06 AM

mkerian,

how did this project turn out for you? especially using the sata card you mentioned?
everything go as hoped for?

please share your experience. i'm considering the same.

thanks!

mkerian said:
Hi all,

My head feels like it's going to explode, and after much research I decided I'm just going to have to suck it up and ask potentially stupid questions point blank.

I have an extensive collection of videos and photos, and currently I have two external 2tb western digital elements hard drives connected via USB to my laptop. I'm running out of space, and rather than buy more hard drives (I'm out of USB slots anyways) I thought I would look into a RAID box. This is also to improve the security of my data as right now my back ups are haphazard.

So, this is where everything gets very technical for a novice like me.

In my research I've realised that NAS is too expensive and too complicated for my needs. I just need local storage like a RAID box such as one from Sans Digital.

http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid-plus/tr4utbpn.html

After researching the difference between RAID setups, I've decided that RAID 5 would suit my needs.

My questions are essentially:

1) How the heck do I set something like this up? Do I buy a Raid box such as the one above and a bunch of hard drives, slot them in, and hook them up to my laptop and expect to see a single drive? Like would it show up as Drive E or something?

2) I know I need a software or hardware Raid controller, but I can't just slide a card into my laptop as it won't work. But I found this, would this work? http://www.addonics.com/products/adexsa6g-2e.php

3) Basically my head is spinning and I don't know where to start. Help?
m
l
!