Rufalisk

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I have one 256gb Crucial M4 SSD so from my understanding, TRIM should work just fine right? Does Win7 automatically do it if I install the latest drivers? Do I need to set the drive to AHCI?

Solution
Yes you should definitely enable AHCI before you install windows. If you've already installed windows, there is a workaround (editing some registry stuff) which I don't remember, but you can just do a re-install. And yes, windows 7 will do it automatically. To check if TRIM is enabled, run command prompt as administrator and type in "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" If the prompt retuns a "0" then TRIM is enabled.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Yes you should definitely enable AHCI before you install windows. If you've already installed windows, there is a workaround (editing some registry stuff) which I don't remember, but you can just do a re-install. And yes, windows 7 will do it automatically. To check if TRIM is enabled, run command prompt as administrator and type in "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" If the prompt retuns a "0" then TRIM is enabled.

Solution