Decline in system performance - 3DMark06 scores inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_snrub

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hi all, I've been lurking around for a while, getting help from other people's threads when I needed it. I now need some help with a specific problem.

About week ago, after installing 2 new 120mm fans (the old ones sounded like helicopters taking off), I've experienced a decline in system performance. Games that played fine before now appear slightly fuzzy and the frame rate is very slow and jumpy at times. I'm also having trouble playing AVCHD files from my camcorder as well as other HD video formats, when they previously played with no problems at all. The only thing I can think of is that I've damaged something when installing the new fans (I also took off the CPU fan and removed the video card to get rid of the dust that was clogging up the fans). Maybe also because I didn't reapply any thermal glue when I put the CPU fan back on?

I ran my system through 3DMark06 and got quite a low score (especially for my CPU). Any advice or suggestions would be great!

Details of my setup (getting a bit old now, I know):
Case: Antec P180 + Corsair PSU (recently added 2 x Noctua 120mm NF-P12 fans)
Motherboard: MSI P35 Platinum
Processor: Intel E6600
Graphics: 8800 GTS
Ram: 3 GB

3DMark06 results summary: Score 4951
SM2.0 = 2355
HDR/SM3.0 = 3122
CPU = 771

System temperatures in HWmonitor:
Core#0 = 83 C
Core#1 = 82 C
GPU Core = 59 C

In CPU-Z, both cores are running at about 2400 MHz

Solution
Your cpu is probably throttling itself to keep from burning up! You need to get some thermal paste right away and apply it to the processor. Anytime you remove the heatsink you have to reapply new thermal paste.

I would quit using the computer until you get the new paste!

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hi Bro
I think i have a solution to your problem, first remember this fact that whenever you take off your cpu and/or gpu heatsink fan, you must reapply the thermal paste, new thermal paste.
in your case i dont think u have applied new thermal paste in both cpu and gpu. also by looking at your cpu temps, i think u havent applied the heatsink fan correctly. if you have put the fan correctly then it might have been damaged because in normal cases, the temps cant go this high even in load.
now the reason why your games run slow is that when u play games, the temps go really high and passes the danger zone, so inorder to cope with that, the cpu reduces its clock speed and thus, u feel that the games are running slow. try these things and do update us. Hope i helped

easymoney9

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Your cpu is probably throttling itself to keep from burning up! You need to get some thermal paste right away and apply it to the processor. Anytime you remove the heatsink you have to reapply new thermal paste.

I would quit using the computer until you get the new paste!

Solution

mr_snrub

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hi guys, thanks for the replies!
So my CPU temperature is too high? In that case I'll go and buy some thermal paste!
I hope this works!
(turning off my desktop now)

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Yep those temps are too high, sorry to say, but before you go get any thermal paste here is a website you may want to take a look at: 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test .

If you want to get some right away and not order it offline, then RadioShack carries Arctic Silver® Silver 5 Thermal Compound , which is considered to be one of the best performing paste available, period. Otherwise any brand on that page I linked you to will do fine aswell, just make sure whatever you buy is not electrically conductive because belive it or not some are! I would also recommend OCZ Artic Freeze and ARCTIC COOLING MX-2.

mr_snrub

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

Thanks for confirming, I'm so glad it's just I forgot the themal paste. I definitely didn't feel like replacing a motherboard or video card!
Should I try to remove the old paste before I put the new paste on? If so, any suggestions for removing it?
That review is also a big help, thanks a lot! I live in Australia so we don't have Radioshack, but I can get some of the Arctic Silver one you recommmended for about $10 from a store here in Sydney.
I'll let you know how I go. Thanks again, you guys are the best!

Artic Silver makes good thermal paste.

To remove the old stuff use some rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) and some Q-Tips (thats what I do). Make sure to remove it from both the CPU and the HSF.
Heres a video if you have any questions about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzoA-VdViZI

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
^ Yep, nice info. Exacally how I do it besides I use a cotton ball or a very clean rag, just make sure you dont leave any fuzzy's from the swab on the CPU or heatsink. And unlike in the video I clean EVERYTHING completly, I wouldnt recommend leaving ANY old compound on either part as it may hinder the performance of the new compound :)

[SIDE NOTE] I DO NOT recommend you put your CPU onto a piece of tin-foil, EVER! IDK what that guy was thinking. :pt1cable:

That wasnt tinfoil that was anti-static bagging, looks to be the size that a hard drive came in... It does look alot like tinfoil though.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Oh..... :lol: , Now that makes a little more sence :) My mistake.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
^ Yes, people are very inconsiderate to do something as shamefull and disrespectful as spam posting add's on every forum thread when people are trying to get help with their tech questions. He has already posted on almost every thread I have been in. :fou:

mr_snrub

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hi guys, I applied the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and now both cores are down to about 65 C when idle (just using my web browser). Is this an acceptable temperature?

EDIT: I applied a bit more thermal paste and my idle temps are down to about 40 C. It seems as though you really need to use a lot of the Arctic Silver 5 to get a nice thick covering and make a connection between the fan heatsink and the processor.

Thanks again everyone. I may well have fried my CPU if it wasn't for you guys! :sol:

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hey, Your Welcome. 65c is a little too hot, 40c is just righhhhht.... :)

I believe Arctic Silver has a 200hr(alot of people argue about this, but I thing it is said by the manufacture) curing time so your temps should get maybe a few C lower as time goes on and you can leave it on there for a couple years I think before they recommend reapplying it.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Thanks for the link, it helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.