An old Q6600 Quad

cybercafe

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Hi guys, my CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz and I ran CPU-Z on my comp today and I see that the Core Speed on my comp is measured at 1596.1 MHz, Multiplier is x 6.0, Bus Speed is 266.0 MHz, Rated FSB is 1064.0 MHz. I tried to overclock this CPU but because my motherboard is an OEM motherboard (IPIBL-LA) it does not allow me to change the clock settings in BIOS. Is it natural for my Core Speed to be at 1596 or is there something wrong? And even though I have an OEM motherboard, is it possible to overclock my CPU? thx in advance.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
Yes, i think this is normal. its speedstep which forces your cpu to run at a lower speed when not in use, but when there will be some load on it, the clocks would go up to normal. just put some load on your processor and then chk the speeds, u will see that the clocks are back to their normal level.
as for overclocking i think there might be some softwares from which u can overclock, through your OS. yeah in oem pcs u cant overclock from bios. Hope i helped

4745454b

Titan
Sounds about right. Anytime you see a multiplier of 6x or 4x you are usually dealing with speedstep/cool n quiet. Its nothing to worry about, once your CPU is under load it should use the default multiplier of 9. Your OEM bios probably doesn't even give you control over this, as it helps with the cooling of your CPU.

The software which Lord speaks of is something like SoftFSB, which hasn't been supported in years. Not sure if there is anything that works on current machines, none that I know of.

plastichairball

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but since I was about to post the EXACT same question I just thought I'd rather add to this.

I have a sucky Acer M464 PC with no OC options in the bios for the Q6600, and I'm currently searching for a software overclocking utility. If I find one that works I'll post it here!