Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crucial M4 suddenly unrecognized

Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2012 1:33:46 AM

Hello, I recently built another gaming computer, and it has been working splendidly, until last night.

I just got around to overclocking my i5-3570k, to around 4.4Ghz (gotta love the Hyper 212 Evo). But, as I was playing some games, I kept having some freezes. The first time, I cold booted because it was completely unresponsive, and it booted up great, just like always. But the second time I cold booted, I was greeted with "BootMGR is missing... ctrl, alt, delete to restart." :fou:  So, I figured that my computer must be booting from something else. I removed my charging Ipod from my computer and it worked, so I thought that it was trying to boot from my Ipod. I changed my multiplier down to 42 and played the rest of the night in peace.

But today, I booted up and I got the same message. I went into BIOS and my SSD wasn't even recognized. After slamming my head against the wall I restarted and spammed F11 to get into the ASRock Boot Manager, and there, on the list, was my SSD. I booted from that and well here I am. I installed the new firmware, and restarted, and still, it wasn't recognized in BIOS, only on the Boot Manager. Even windows recognized it as it told me new software was being used for it. So, how the hell is this possible? One part of Bios recognizes it but the other doesn't? None of the files are corrupted but yet it won't boot.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've fixed other people hardware issues but never ran into a problem like this... I've heard of power cycling, but don't know what exactly it entails. Thanks, Richard.
December 10, 2012 3:36:10 AM

I believe i may have the answer

What ssd firmware are you using?

Also what is your motherboard? I noticed you mentioned Asrock and that you have a z77 board, so it is probably is a UEFI board.

If your firmware on your ssd is either 010g or 040h then your ssd will not be 100% compatible with your motherboard.

Here is a statement from the crucial firmware page
UEFI-based Systems: During validation of this firmware update we noticed instances where our update tools do not recognize the SSD with some systems using UEFI. The target device is not recognized as an updateable device during the reboot process. If this happens, the firmware update will not occur, and you’ll retain the firmware version you started with. Windows will then restart normally. If this sequence occurs, you cannot upgrade to this firmware version at this time, but you’ve done no harm to your system (or your data).

To be stable again you will need to go back to the 000F firmware. There is a guide on how to do this using an ISO mount on crucial forums
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 3:50:40 PM

rhysdalegend said:
I believe i may have the answer

What ssd firmware are you using?

Also what is your motherboard? I noticed you mentioned Asrock and that you have a z77 board, so it is probably is a UEFI board.

If your firmware on your ssd is either 010g or 040h then your ssd will not be 100% compatible with your motherboard.

Here is a statement from the crucial firmware page
UEFI-based Systems: During validation of this firmware update we noticed instances where our update tools do not recognize the SSD with some systems using UEFI. The target device is not recognized as an updateable device during the reboot process. If this happens, the firmware update will not occur, and you’ll retain the firmware version you started with. Windows will then restart normally. If this sequence occurs, you cannot upgrade to this firmware version at this time, but you’ve done no harm to your system (or your data).

To be stable again you will need to go back to the 000F firmware. There is a guide on how to do this using an ISO mount on crucial forums

I'm in class right now but I will try this when I get home. Thanks for the heads up.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 10, 2012 4:03:08 PM

Try updating your BIOS.
December 11, 2012 1:42:37 AM

Thanks ram1009 that was it. I can't believe I didn't think of that :D . My boot time went from 7 seconds to 10 seconds with the new update, but that's just a first world problem. This way, I get the new SSD firmware and the new UEFI support.

Cheers guys, Richard
m
l
December 11, 2012 1:42:55 AM

Best answer selected by Dupontrocks11.
m
l
!