Reinstall OS after changing all memories?

Hello,

I bought a PC some time ago with a kit of G.Skill Kit Extreme3 3 x 2 GB PC12800 CAS 7 PI Series and a Noctua NH-D14. Which of course were incompatible to mount. So I mounted the PC with the stock heatsink, installed windows and ordered a kit of OCZ DDR3 3 x 2 GB PC12800 Platinum Edition.

Once the new memories arrived I changed the cards, installed the Noctua. Everything seemed just fine, but all of the sudden I got a BSOD. I had to restart the computer and then it worked fine. Until next restart where the BSOD came back, then restart, worked fine, and so on...

I borrowed a kit of G.Skill Kit Extreme3 3 x 2 GB PC10600 PK and but the problem still persist but much less frequently (every 4-5 restarts).

Since I the problem started with the OCZs, and then the G.Skill, I've been doing memtests and they pass...

As these kits have different timings and frequencies, do I have to reinstall windows to get rid of the BSODs?? or do you have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks in advance!
6 answers Last reply
More about reinstall changing memories
  1. Please provide links to the following:
    1. MOBO
    2. RAM
    3. CPU

Q - What BIOS version?
    Q - What OS?

edit: note OCZ Platinum Edition is about the worst RAM on the planet and 9/10 the problem.
  2. 1. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2)
    2. G.Skill Kit Extreme3 3 x 2 GB PC10600 PK (current) / OCZ DDR3 3 x 2 GB PC12800 Platinum Edition (in their box)
    3. i7 950

BOIS version: FE
  3. Right off the bat, don't use XMP!!! I have a lot of bad experiences with that MOBO; I had to RMA 10 of them because of the SSD + RAID hardware failures.

Link ;) -> http://gskill.com/products.php?index=105

Make certain they are installed as below; see if the problem resolves itself after a Clear CMOS. If you are running your HDD's in AHCI mode then change it back in the BIOS before booting to OS; see -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

DIMM Slots:
  4. The three modules are installed as shown in the picture. I have tried before to clear cmos but the problem persists... and XMP is disabled.

Also on a side note, when I'm on the BOIS my keyboard (USB) work correctly, I sometimes have to push the keys several times before it actually works. I don't know if this is a sign of the MOBO malfunctioning...
  5. The USB Keyboard failure doen't prove anything, there are a ton of USB keyboards that won't work in the BIOS - period. I use a PS/2 keyboard for tweaking the BIOS.

RAM - Often CAS 7 + LGA 1366 are hard(er) to run at 1.50v

=== Stock === DDR3 1333 7-7-7-18-2N @ 1.50v

Lets try setting the RAM Manually in the BIOS:
    Performance Enhance -> Turbo ; default
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled ; default
    System Memory Multiplier -> 10 ; assuming BCLK 133.3 MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
    CAS Latency Time -> 7
    tRCD -> 7
    tRP -> 7
    tRAS - > 18
    Command Rate(CMD) -> 2 ; the Rated is 2N and is more stable, the Default is typically 1N
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v~1.60v ; a +0.10v might correct the BSOD
    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.20v~1.25v ; slight increase to offset CAS 7

=== FAILURE === Increase CAS

Performance Enhance -> Turbo ; default
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled ; default
    System Memory Multiplier -> 10 ; assuming BCLK 133.3 MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
    CAS Latency Time -> 8
    tRCD -> 8
    tRP -> 8
    tRAS - > 24
    Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v~1.60v
    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.20v~1.25v; offset the increase in DRAM Voltage
  6. Thank you very much, I'll try this configuration... hope this helps...
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory G.SKILL Blue Screen