[GEN] rec.photo.digital.slr-sytems is the place for DSLR d..

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 1, 2005 6:08:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

It's been a little over 2 months since the formation of rpd.slr-systems.

In November, there were 560 posts
December 1385

The group has reached critical mass for digital slr system discussions.

At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I would urge discussions
specific to DSLR's move over to news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

Some ISP's (including my own, damnit) still don't carry it, I have to access it
via an account a friend set up for me elsewhere. But that works fine.

Cheers,
Alan.

January 1, 2005 6:08:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

How truely successful is the group if you have to urge people to move
over there?
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 7:49:31 PM

Dave wrote:

> How truely successful is the group if you have to urge people to move
> over there?

Successful enough that it has more than doubled over Dec. traffic.

My message is meant to urge more people over now that the NG has a base amount
of traffic and discussion that will make it worthwhile to them.

Cheers,
Alan.

January 1, 2005 8:17:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Alan Browne commented courteously ...

> At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I
> would urge discussions specific to DSLR's move over to
> news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

Alan, I didn't know about this NG. Thanks for posting a
link.

I currently have a P & S but I'm always on the lookout for
what's new in DSLRs, so I'll start monitoring the other NG
now.

For my take on this thread, perhaps it would be helpful to
allow/encourage people to talk about DSLRs in the context
of "what's better, P & S or DSLR?" (or words to that
effect) here in rec.photo.digital, and take the in-depth
discussion, problems, help, etc. to slr-systems.

Wadda ya all think?

--
ATM, aka Jerry Rivers
January 1, 2005 10:37:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

How altruistic of you ;)
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 11:14:34 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I would urge
> discussions specific to DSLR's move over to
> news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

Will 'Annika' Douglas be flooding it with film based shots?

mike

--

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It
made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to

Terry Pratchett
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 11:14:35 PM

m II wrote:

> Will 'Annika' Douglas be flooding it with film based shots?

I suspect he'll be flooding it with DSLR shots, usually with a humorous, witty
or sarcastic title. At least he seems to shoot about daily which is a lot more
than I can say for myself ... or most folks around here...

January 2, 2005 12:47:03 AM

"Dave" <webkatz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How truely successful is the group if you have to urge people to move
> over there?

Get this straight guys and gals...
Alan Browne is the self appointed net COP of that group.
He'll get up you so fast you'll think he's rocket propelled if you so much
as think about...

top posting
mentioning anything other than precisely DSLR
Or any of the other cardinal sins he sees as his duty to police.
Of course he, himself is exempt from rules and if not, he'll change 'em to
suit himself!

Hello... Did anybody notice?
Only about 18% of the world's ISPs actually carry the group on their servers
and even fewer update it hourly.

Rec.Photo. digital has served the digital photographic community well and
continues to have the broadest, most comprehensive range of digital
photographic topics of any group. Who really wants to get into a quasi
"moderated" group where freedom to discuss whatever you want about digital
photography is not just discouraged by this individual but openly policed?
Are you listning Alan? It was a wonderful place the last week on dslr. Pity
it's netcop has returned to do as he sees as his duty and make sure all you
scumbags toe the line...
Doug
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:47:04 AM

Ryadia wrote:

> "Dave" <webkatz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>How truely successful is the group if you have to urge people to move
>>over there?
>>

> Get this straight guys and gals...

Thank you for your endorsement Doug. I love your "perspective".

Happy New Year!

January 2, 2005 12:47:04 AM

Ryadia wrote:

> Rec.Photo. digital has served the digital photographic community well and
> continues to have the broadest, most comprehensive range of digital
> photographic topics of any group. Who really wants to get into a quasi
> "moderated" group where freedom to discuss whatever you want about digital
> photography is not just discouraged by this individual but openly policed?
> Are you listning Alan? It was a wonderful place the last week on dslr. Pity
> it's netcop has returned to do as he sees as his duty and make sure all you
> scumbags toe the line...

Since you post in the new NG on the order of 2 or 3 times a day, I'm baffled by
your reply, above.

I agree that rpd has served the community well. Very well. So well that it now
gets some 12,000 posts a month (400/day). That's a lot to wade through when I
(and you too AFAICT) are only interested in digital slr's. That's why the new
ng was proposed: to reduce the wading.

I'm no more 'net cop' than anyone, just reminding people of boundaries and
nettiquette that is generally accepted and practiced. I've seen you defend
'bottom posting' and conscientious snipping that matter.

I'm not sure who you're calling scumbags, but that is hardly the high minded
behaviour you seem to espouse.

Again, thanks for your perspecive.

Cheers,
Alan.
January 2, 2005 12:47:05 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> Ryadia wrote:
>

> I'm not sure who you're calling scumbags, but that is hardly the high
> minded behaviour you seem to espouse.
>
> Again, thanks for your perspecive.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

I answer to that name.....
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:05:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

> Ryadia wrote:
> Rec.Photo. digital has served the digital photographic community well
> and continues to have the broadest, most comprehensive range of
> digital photographic topics of any group.

Rec.photo.digital has become a victim of it's own success. It's too
easy to get lost in there and lose track.

--
As long as Major League Baseball expects public funding for their
facilities, and as long as they enjoy an added level of freedom of

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

You got beat up a lot at school didn't you?

> It's been a little over 2 months since the formation of rpd.slr-systems.
>
> In November, there were 560 posts
> December 1385
>
> The group has reached critical mass for digital slr system discussions.
>
> At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I would urge
discussions
> specific to DSLR's move over to news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .
>
> Some ISP's (including my own, damnit) still don't carry it, I have to
access it
> via an account a friend set up for me elsewhere. But that works fine.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:37:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Hello Hugh, fancy meeting you here. LOL

"Hugh Jorgan" <staring@the.moon> wrote in message
> You got beat up a lot at school didn't you?

January 2, 2005 4:00:35 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> At least he seems to shoot about daily which is a lot
> more than I can say for myself ... or most folks around here...

So what?
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Hey! Haha!

> Hello Hugh, fancy meeting you here. LOL
>
> "Hugh Jorgan" <staring@the.moon> wrote in message
> > You got beat up a lot at school didn't you?

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:39:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

I have this picture in my head of you with your hall monitor badge and
pocket protector.

> Hugh Jorgan wrote:
>
> > You got beat up a lot at school didn't you?
>
> Nobody was foolish enough to try.
>
> But do tell what prompted your question?

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:00:45 AM

All Things Mopar wrote:

> Wadda ya all think?

I think we already have this group, for general digital questions, and
then we have dpreview.com, which has specific discussion groups for any
and all DSLR cameras. I don't see the need for a general DSLR group.
What is the big mystery about SLR that it requires a separate group?

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:00:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Gary Eickmeier commented courteously ...

> I think we already have this group, for general digital
> questions, and then we have dpreview.com, which has
> specific discussion groups for any and all DSLR cameras.
> don't see the need for a general DSLR group. What is the
> big mystery about SLR that it requires a separate group?

Thanks for your opinion, Gary. I guess what I was replying
to was whether the DSLR discussions, in whatever vein,
were tying up thread space on this NG, making it hard for
people to "see" what they want to see.

I'm a rank newbie to this NG, but since the DSLR Usent
group already exists, seems like it'd be the Spock thing
to do is use it. Again, just my opinion, your mileage may
vary...

--
ATM, aka Jerry Rivers
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

And a plug in his butt? The anal retentive type? LOL

>I have this picture in my head of you with your hall monitor badge and
> pocket protector.
>
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>> Hugh Jorgan wrote:
>>
>> > You got beat up a lot at school didn't you?
>>
>> Nobody was foolish enough to try.
>>
>> But do tell what prompted your question?
>>
>> --
>> -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
>> -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
>> -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
>> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:22:01 AM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:49:31 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>My message is meant to urge more people over now that the NG has a base amount
>of traffic and discussion that will make it worthwhile to them.

Then you might then rethink you attitude when replying to one of the few
that show up there. I'm not necessarily known for my tact at times, but an
answer containing only RTFM isn't going to entice return visits by the OP
or possibly lurkers.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
January 2, 2005 10:08:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Some anal retentives prefer to have everything compartmentalized. The same
obsessives have created several other completely pointless groups for no
good reason whatsoever.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> All Things Mopar wrote:
>
> > Wadda ya all think?
> >
> I think we already have this group, for general digital questions, and
> then we have dpreview.com, which has specific discussion groups for any
> and all DSLR cameras. I don't see the need for a general DSLR group.
> What is the big mystery about SLR that it requires a separate group?
>
> Gary Eickmeier
January 2, 2005 10:10:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

A camera is a camera. A digital shooter can learn more from the 35mm forum
than from all the new digital forums combined.

--

"All Things Mopar" <usenetMAPS123@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Gary Eickmeier commented courteously ...
>
> > I think we already have this group, for general digital
> > questions, and then we have dpreview.com, which has
> > specific discussion groups for any and all DSLR cameras.
> > don't see the need for a general DSLR group. What is the
> > big mystery about SLR that it requires a separate group?
>
> Thanks for your opinion, Gary. I guess what I was replying
> to was whether the DSLR discussions, in whatever vein,
> were tying up thread space on this NG, making it hard for
> people to "see" what they want to see.
>
> I'm a rank newbie to this NG, but since the DSLR Usent
> group already exists, seems like it'd be the Spock thing
> to do is use it. Again, just my opinion, your mileage may
> vary...
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry Rivers
January 2, 2005 12:44:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message

> It's been a little over 2 months since the formation of rpd.slr-systems.
>
> In November, there were 560 posts
> December 1385
>
> The group has reached critical mass for digital slr system discussions.
>
> At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I would urge
discussions
> specific to DSLR's move over to news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

Anything that gets these people out of rec.photo.equipment.35mm is a good
thing. If I were to guess I'd guess you cross posted this to
rec.photo.equipment.35mm to give people there the hint about where to go.
Just a guess. Thank you Alan.
Film best!
me
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:10:14 PM

All Things Mopar wrote:
> Alan Browne commented courteously ...
>
>> At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I
>> would urge discussions specific to DSLR's move over to
>> news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .
>
> Alan, I didn't know about this NG. Thanks for posting a
> link.
>
> I currently have a P & S but I'm always on the lookout for
> what's new in DSLRs, so I'll start monitoring the other NG
> now.

For your information, there are actually four new groups:

rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rec.photo.digital.zlr

If you're not familiar with the term, ZLR is Zoom Lens Reflex. This was
the best compromise to describe high-end cameras that don't have
interchangeable lenses, but otherwise look like SLRs - such as the
Panasonic FZ20, Minolta A2, Nikon 8400 & 8800 etc.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:10:45 PM

All Things Mopar wrote:
> Alan Browne commented courteously ...
>

>>At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I
>>would urge discussions specific to DSLR's move over to
>>news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .
>

> Alan, I didn't know about this NG. Thanks for posting a
> link.

You're very welcome.

> I currently have a P & S but I'm always on the lookout for
> what's new in DSLRs, so I'll start monitoring the other NG
> now.
>
> For my take on this thread, perhaps it would be helpful to
> allow/encourage people to talk about DSLRs in the context
> of "what's better, P & S or DSLR?" (or words to that
> effect) here in rec.photo.digital, and take the in-depth
> discussion, problems, help, etc. to slr-systems.

That's really it in a nutshell.

Cheers,
Alan

January 2, 2005 2:18:57 PM

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> All Things Mopar wrote:
>
>> Wadda ya all think?
>>
> I think we already have this group, for general digital questions, and
> then we have dpreview.com, which has specific discussion groups for any
> and all DSLR cameras. I don't see the need for a general DSLR group.
> What is the big mystery about SLR that it requires a separate group?

12,000 - 13,000 posts/month in rpd make like listening to chopin during an AC/DC
concert.

January 2, 2005 2:20:15 PM

David J Taylor wrote:

> For your information, there are actually four new groups:
>
> rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
> rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
> rec.photo.digital.zlr
>
> If you're not familiar with the term, ZLR is Zoom Lens Reflex. This was
> the best compromise to describe high-end cameras that don't have
> interchangeable lenses, but otherwise look like SLRs - such as the
> Panasonic FZ20, Minolta A2, Nikon 8400 & 8800 etc.

Hey! Raise your own advert threads!

Cheers,
Alan.

January 2, 2005 2:44:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <h6MBd.208736$6w6.26852@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, Gary
Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I think we already have this group, for general digital questions, and
> then we have dpreview.com, which has specific discussion groups for any
> and all DSLR cameras. I don't see the need for a general DSLR group.
> What is the big mystery about SLR that it requires a separate group?

If you can stand a web based board like dpreview which has got to be
one of the worst web based interfaces I have encountered, more power to
you. I prefer Usenet. The new newsgroup, rec.photo.digital.slr-sytems
has been coming along nicely. Since you don't see the need for it, just
ignore the DSLR newsgroup, nobody is forcing anyone to use it. I almost
wish Alan would stop touting the new group for fear it would start
becoming like r.p.d.

--
Charles
January 2, 2005 3:34:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Funny - I manage just fine.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:20:23 PM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 07:08:04 GMT, "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>Some anal retentives prefer to have everything compartmentalized. The same
>obsessives have created several other completely pointless groups for no
>good reason whatsoever.

Yeah, it's really terrible the way that USENET is divided up. What a
drag it is, having to separate the photographic posts from the java
language, gardening and travel ones. And as for having to go all the
way over to a sports group to discuss football - I ask you, why on
earth bother going to a sports group to discuss sport? So much more
fun just to have a single newsgroup in one's subscription list and put
all the posts in there.
--

Henry Law <>< Manchester, England
Anonymous

Dave wrote:

> How altruistic of you ;)

A little bit of that, but mainly motivated to reduce the time I used to spend
wading through rpd. A couple years ago it was manageable, now it's just not
possible.

January 2, 2005 5:02:16 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:49:31 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>My message is meant to urge more people over now that the NG has a base amount
>>of traffic and discussion that will make it worthwhile to them.
>

> Then you might then rethink you attitude when replying to one of the few
> that show up there. I'm not necessarily known for my tact at times, but an
> answer containing only RTFM isn't going to entice return visits by the OP
> or possibly lurkers.

Nor is the intent of an NG to help people learn every general function of a
specific camera. I understand when people question something like metering, or
why files come out a certain size in a given mode, as these are sometimes
difficult to interpret even with the manual. But the question that you're
referring to was something that can only be answered by somebody delving into
the manual for that specific camera. It might was well be the person with the
camera and the manual. The manual for the camera in question is available
online from the manufacturer.

Cheers,
Alan

January 2, 2005 5:09:05 PM

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> I think we already have this group, for general digital questions, and then
> we have dpreview.com, which has specific discussion groups for any and all
> DSLR cameras. I don't see the need for a general DSLR group. What is the big
> mystery about SLR that it requires a separate group?

1/4 or more of the threads here regard DSLR specifics. So why should people
wade through 9,000 unrelated posts to get to it? That was the primary reason
that the NG was proposed. Second to that was a desire to create an NG similar
in nature to rpe35mm, but without the film issues. And there it is.

As to dpreview, which is an excellent information source, it is a poor
discussion place IMO (an opinion I hold of almost all web based discussion
boards, although they have been getting a little better of late).

Cheers,
Alan.

January 2, 2005 5:14:38 PM

Charles wrote:
> ignore the DSLR newsgroup, nobody is forcing anyone to use it. I almost
> wish Alan would stop touting the new group for fear it would start
> becoming like r.p.d.

My more enthusiastic side sees me posting a "C'mon on over!" post here daily.

Out of respect for everyone concerned I've held it to, I believe, 3 posts to
date since late October. This latest one followed the collection of the Dec.
statistics as showing clear, healthy growth.

We may not need ever again to advertise the success of the group, but I will try
hold off longer next time.

And by the way, as others have pointed out in various ways, rpd will still be
here, will still be healthy and strong.

Cheers,
Alan

January 2, 2005 5:16:45 PM

me wrote:

> Anything that gets these people out of rec.photo.equipment.35mm is a good
> thing. If I were to guess I'd guess you cross posted this to
> rec.photo.equipment.35mm to give people there the hint about where to go.
> Just a guess. Thank you Alan.
> Film best!

In part yes, but you know my attitude is much less restrictive than that. While
these groups (.35mm and .slr-systems) are 'equipment' oriented, we can't escape
their purpose...

Cheers,
Alan

January 2, 2005 6:16:43 PM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:02:16 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Nor is the intent of an NG to help people learn every general function of a
>specific camera.

Tactful response function temporarily put on hold.

To put it both bluntly and succinctly, bullshit! The charter from your own
web page is :

CHARTER: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

This newsgroup, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, is an open forum for the
discussion of digital SLR (single lens reflex) camera systems.

These systems consist of:

* Digital SLR (DSLR) camera bodies with mounts for detachable lenses
* Lenses for those cameras

Additional On-Topic Discussion:

* Discussion of any relevant accessories for those camera systems,
including but not limited to: external flash units, memory cards,
microdrives, lens filters/hoods, camera bags/cases, DSLR
camera/lens/accessory maintenance, tripods and monopods.
* Photography techniques, as long as the discussion remains within the
context of DSLR photography
* Image post-processing, as long as the discussion remains within the
context of DSLR photography
* Posting links to personal photo galleries or images, as long as the
discussion remains within the context of DSLR photography
* Discussion of digital backs for film SLR bodies

PERIOD!

For you to imply here is some minimal level beneath which a question posed
is off-topic for the group is nothing more than arrogant. Might I suggest
you just let it go and let the less arrogant others who at least at this
time choose to peruse the group answer those questions you deem beneath
you. Do no harm. Otherwise, you may find you can have the group all to
yourself.

Rant off.

My apologies to the rest of r.pd., but this elitist attitude has just
struck a raw nerve. As the OP can't even get the name of the said group
correct in the subject, just who the hell is he to determine what level of
query is valid w.r.t. any dslr?
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:54:56 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>

>> For your information, there are actually four new groups:
>>
>> rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
>> rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
>> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
>> rec.photo.digital.zlr
>>
>> If you're not familiar with the term, ZLR is Zoom Lens Reflex. This
>> was the best compromise to describe high-end cameras that don't have
>> interchangeable lenses, but otherwise look like SLRs - such as the
>> Panasonic FZ20, Minolta A2, Nikon 8400 & 8800 etc.
>
> Hey! Raise your own advert threads!
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

I feel I may get less trouble if I tack onto yours!

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:54:57 PM

David J Taylor wrote:

> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>>Hey! Raise your own advert threads!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Alan.
>

> I feel I may get less trouble if I tack onto yours!

Your courage is underwhelming.

January 2, 2005 7:56:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

From: m II <ohmworkLEOP...@spots.ca> -

Alan Browne wrote:

> At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I would urge
> discussions specific to DSLR's move over to
> news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

Will 'Annika' Douglas be flooding it with film based shots?

mike

No, I'm planning on flooding them with porn links and Alan Browne's
personal info.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 8:22:26 PM

Tony wrote:

> Some anal retentives prefer to spout off regularly, top post with a moronically long self-serving
sig. lines, and insult as many people as possible. And announce their
killfile additions. And.... ho boy, enough.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Henry Law wrote:

> Yeah, it's really terrible the way that USENET is divided up. What a
> drag it is, having to separate the photographic posts from the java
> language, gardening and travel ones. And as for having to go all the
> way over to a sports group to discuss football - I ask you, why on
> earth bother going to a sports group to discuss sport? So much more
> fun just to have a single newsgroup in one's subscription list and put
> all the posts in there.

Damn! That's it! One NG for everyone, everything. That way, political
discussions/rants would always be on topic, and we could have tons of
e-Bay pointers to peruse....

--
John McWilliams

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
January 2, 2005 9:19:17 PM

I take it you are one of the anal types who thinks that the world needs a
rec.photo.zlr and a rec.photo.rangefinder etc etc etc group. Go back to your
double entry bookkeeping. Most of the world is looking for people who can
help them, not people who are so busy sorting they can't be bothered with
newcomers. I'm very surprised you morons didnt create twice as many groups,
a full set for beginners, then a full set for advanged users, then groups
for people who own both slr and p&s, and a group for people with Canon slr
and Nikon p&s and a group for.... I think I'll stop now, I might be giving
you gobshites more ideas.

--

"Henry Law" <lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> wrote in message
news:o 0tft0h3ccb3c1hlm44p3r4v1pf4ojctg4@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 07:08:04 GMT, "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >Some anal retentives prefer to have everything compartmentalized. The
same
> >obsessives have created several other completely pointless groups for no
> >good reason whatsoever.
>
> Yeah, it's really terrible the way that USENET is divided up. What a
> drag it is, having to separate the photographic posts from the java
> language, gardening and travel ones. And as for having to go all the
> way over to a sports group to discuss football - I ask you, why on
> earth bother going to a sports group to discuss sport? So much more
> fun just to have a single newsgroup in one's subscription list and put
> all the posts in there.
> --
>
> Henry Law <>< Manchester, England
January 2, 2005 9:19:18 PM

Please use

rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.canon
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.nikon
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.minolta
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.pentax
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.fourthirds
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.mattel (for SD-9/SD-10)
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:11:19 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> It's been a little over 2 months since the formation of rpd.slr-systems.
>
> In November, there were 560 posts
> December 1385
>
> The group has reached critical mass for digital slr system discussions.
>
> At the risk (certainty!) of drawing the ire of some, I would urge
> discussions specific to DSLR's move over to
> news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .
>
> Some ISP's (including my own, damnit) still don't carry it, I have to
> access it via an account a friend set up for me elsewhere. But that
> works fine.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

Thanks Alan. I just clicked on your posted group and a display appeared
asking if I wanted to subscribe and download.

nick
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:11:20 PM

nick c wrote:

> Thanks Alan. I just clicked on your posted group and a display appeared
> asking if I wanted to subscribe and download.

? If you mean your news reader did that, then yes, that's how it's supposed to
work. The 'subscription' is all in your newsreader, not "on the web/internet".
The download refers to a list of messages (some nominal number or the maximum
that your new server 'sees').

Cheers,
Alan

January 2, 2005 10:20:29 PM

Ryadia wrote:
> "Dave" <webkatz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>How truely successful is the group if you have to urge people to move
>>over there?
>>

> Get this straight guys and gals...
> Alan Browne is the self appointed net COP of that group.
> He'll get up you so fast you'll think he's rocket propelled if you so much
> as think about...
>
> top posting
> mentioning anything other than precisely DSLR
> Or any of the other cardinal sins he sees as his duty to police.
> Of course he, himself is exempt from rules and if not, he'll change 'em to
> suit himself!
>
> Hello... Did anybody notice?
> Only about 18% of the world's ISPs actually carry the group on their servers
> and even fewer update it hourly.
>
> Rec.Photo. digital has served the digital photographic community well and
> continues to have the broadest, most comprehensive range of digital
> photographic topics of any group. Who really wants to get into a quasi
> "moderated" group where freedom to discuss whatever you want about digital
> photography is not just discouraged by this individual but openly policed?
> Are you listning Alan? It was a wonderful place the last week on dslr. Pity
> it's netcop has returned to do as he sees as his duty and make sure all you
> scumbags toe the line...
> Doug

Very interesting.

I'll look forward to reading your posts in
news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems. I've already signed on.

nick
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 11:50:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <Xns95D21198154BBReplyToken@216.196.97.131>,
All Things Mopar <usenetMAPS123@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm a rank newbie to this NG

Same here.

> since the DSLR Usent group already exists, seems like
> it'd be the Spock thing to do is use it.

The Spock thing? I *LOVE* it!!

> Again, just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

It just makes SENSE (at least, to me) that, if the traffic volume in a
newsgroup exceeds X, a more SPECIFIC "spin-off" group should be formed and
used.

I first "heard" about the

group somewhat more than a week ago.

My Cox Communications news server did NOT carry it. I logged-on their support
site and left email requesting it.

It is now on the server.

That's good service.

:)