Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Here are my specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2CPUs), 3.0GHz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
1680x1050 (32bit) display

Currently I am lagging at the start of an online match when I pull my SCVs. I also lag when I alt-tab and the recommended settings are low-medium.

I was wondering what I should upgrade to stop the lag and have preferably high-ultra graphics with a budget of <$200.

Should I be upgrading my CPU or graphics card? I heard that CPU is more important and vice versa in terms of playing SCII at high settings.

Solution

For the ATI 5770, you might as well get the 1GB. The 512mb cards out these days are usually old school cards, or designed to be "budget" minded options. The 1GB would definitely help with higher resolutions, or higher texture settings (higher detail settings).

In the <$200 price range, the ATI 5770 should work very well at your resolution. If you wanted the best possible performance for your money, the GTX 460 would be up at the top end of your budget. However, it's not necessary, and could potentially be limited by your CPU in some situations.

Unless you intend to do other upgrades, or play more intensive games (from a graphics...
I'd say that ct1615 is exactly right. At 1680x1050 the 7900GS is pretty old for more modern graphics. It's due for replacement.

The Athlon X2 6000+ is fairly aged as well, but for SCII it should be okay.

Is your Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit? If it's 64bit, I'd also suggest finding some cheap RAM and doubling your system memory up to 4GB. That and the upgraded graphics card should not only improve game performance, but alt-tab'ing should be a bit smoother as well!

For the ATI 5770, you might as well get the 1GB. The 512mb cards out these days are usually old school cards, or designed to be "budget" minded options. The 1GB would definitely help with higher resolutions, or higher texture settings (higher detail settings).

In the <$200 price range, the ATI 5770 should work very well at your resolution. If you wanted the best possible performance for your money, the GTX 460 would be up at the top end of your budget. However, it's not necessary, and could potentially be limited by your CPU in some situations.

Unless you intend to do other upgrades, or play more intensive games (from a graphics standpoint) the ATI 5770 should be your best over all value.

Solution

mrmez

Splendid
The 7900GS is a dog. I remember some 6800GS cards you could unlock some of the pipes if you were lucky, but at this stage a 7900 is so far behind, the only option is an upgrade.

You will have to do the hard work and figure out what cards will be compatible with your mobo, but i like the current 5000 series ati cards, just depends on how much you can spend.

silver0187

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hello, new member and a lay man in term of computer here.

Since we're on topic about SCII, i was wondering how would cards like ATI HD 4550/4650/5570 perform in SCII medium graphic setting?

Thank you in advance

j8262345

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hey how do I tell if my motherboard is compatible with the ati 5770?

I have the AMD Socket AM2 CPU
DDR2 800/667/533
Dual-Core CPU Ready
System Bus 2000/1600 MT/s
SaTA 3Gb/s Raid

There's some more info on the back and I have no clue what they mean if you need more info just ask me