Sign in with
Your question
Solved

890GXM-G65 memory

Last response: in Memory
July 20, 2011 6:49:15 PM

Hello ,
I recently installed an MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard on my system. I currently run 4x2GB DDR3-1333. The memory specs shown on MSI's website are:

• Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*/1800*/2133* (OC) DRAM, 16GB Max

I am wondering If I would need to overclock something in the BIOS myself to install the either the 1600 -2133 speed ram sticks or if this is something that the board will do on it's own when it detects it has been installed. I have never messed around with overclocking before but the MSI bios has an easy OC feature and a OC switch for the FSB so if it's something I must do to get the better ram working I couldn't see having a hard time. One thing I did notice on the MSI website was in the memory test reports it did not have any speeds over 1600 listed and the few listed at 1600 were only 2GB max and only installed in 2 slots not 4. Is the test report just old? It does have a very updated BIOS that will support the new AMD bulldozer chips with it's current AM3 socket so maybe that new bios supports the faster speeds in larger capacities and the test reports are just old from when it was first manufactured? I am just speculating here though. The basic question of my post is will the faster memory sticks that say they only run in OC mode work just fine or will I need to change some BIOS settings?

MSI's specifications for 890GXM-G65

On a side note I do not see the PhenomIIx4 980 listed in the processor test reports, They are fairly cheap right now and I may pickone up till I know people have the bulldozer's working OK on my board, The 975 is listed but I would prefer the faster one , should I have a problem?

EDIT: I am currently using a AthlonIIx4 630 2.8GHZ , Will I need the new processor to support the better ram?

More about : 890gxm g65 memory

July 21, 2011 1:35:53 AM

The reason you aren't seeing higher specs on the MSI tests is simply because it is not feasible for them to test every configuration. They test up to the average, then a little higher. You shouldn't have any problems upping your RAM size BUT, realize that you will be the minority if you do and support, from MSI and forums will be limited. (This isn't trying to discourage you, just informing you)

Several boards that supported XXXX* (O.C) memory needed manual board configuration (err...BIOS configuration) to run at the correct speed. It often requires adjusting frequency, timing, and voltage. All this information should be provided by the memory manufacturer, you just need to figure out how to set the numbers in the BIOS. (To clarify, I have OCZ memory. It's DDR2 1066 but my Gigabyte motherboard only supports DDR2 800 standard, 1066 O.C. OCZ tells me my memory timings are 4-4-4-12, frequency is 1066 and voltage is 2.1. Gigabyte tells me that, in order to set memory timings I need to go into "Advanced config..." and manually key in the DRAM information. There I received the information needed for each component from it's manufacturer. I simply need to connect the two so they become one in working together properly)

This scenario was merely an illustration, I don't actually have those specific components but, it gives you the general idea. The "Auto-OC" feature may or may not take care of all the work for you. It will actually, likely NOT get everything running to spec. but, it would get you closer. If you feel comfortable learning how to set that information, give larger memory sizes a try but, in all honesty, you will likely not notice a difference between your 8GB and 16GB. 16 is more than a consumer machine will even come close to utilizing. (Servers may have terabytes of memory but regular desktop's...no, not even close. they just don't need it/can't use it)

I can't speak for you purposed upgrades as I work with Intel components (well, Intel in general) but, check out the charts on Tom's and you should be able to come to a conclusion on what it's worth to you. Hope it helps!
m
l
July 21, 2011 8:45:35 PM

Thank you for your reply it was very informative, i did see those settings in the BIOS and I should have no problem doing that, but my question was more concerning the speed than the size , I rarely use more than half of my 8gb so I know I am ok there but I was going for the faster RAMs. I know you said you don't work with AMD's but in general does RAM need to be matched with your processor? I looked at several high end AMD Phenom chips and some say they support upto DDR3-1333 some don't say anything at all , is this a limitation I must consider also?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 23, 2011 2:15:29 AM

In general, no, memory doesn't need to match your processor. It is good to get close, if not have RAM even faster than proc. FSB but, matching speeds isn't an issue to be concerned with. Sorry I overlooked that point. Also, as for the 1333, you should be fine buying faster memory however, know that it won't run at advertised speed. The memory speed is more dependent on the board (well, they say it is...not so anymore but...) so much sure your board supports the speeds you want. Also, the processor won't have a problem working with faster memory, get an x4 with recommended 1333 memory, buy some 1600 and you still will have a solid operating machine.

Good luck! Ask some more if you need.
July 30, 2011 5:15:45 AM

Best answer selected by fugitivelama.
m
l
!