Changes in broadband speed

kizonis

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hi,
I have noticed that some times my internet connection can get a download speed of 5mb/s for some time (from minutes to some hours) and then drop at 500kb/s-both wireless and lan.
The speed might rise/fall at random points but it is also somehow related to me disconnecting and then reconnecting to the internet.
Most of the time I will have the low speed unfortunately.
I don't know what my speed is supposed to be because I am living in a big dormitory. Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening and also how I can have the high speed permanently?

Thanks! :bounce:

You can't get max speed all the time. You are at the mercy of what band width is available at the time you are connected, and it varies. You could check with your ISP, as some offer booster, or expanded band width, but even that is subject to what is available at the time.

hanhoffcustompcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
living in a dormitory can make your speeds vary. If alot of people jump on at once it will decrease your speed no matter what anyone says this IS true. Another possibility is that it could be your provider being crappy, but they will deny it anyways. Not much you can do but replace your routers/wifi hubs and see if that helps.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Your speed can be dependant on the area you in and the time of day.

I know that where i am when kids get home from school (3pm) until after about 7pm its quite slow.

being your in a Dorm, your prob using the campus's internet. and the more people online the slower it will be for you.
try school holidays, i bet you it will be 100 times quicker, because noone is there using it.

kizonis

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks for all the replies, but there is something that I cant explain.
If that was true, then having a very high speed for an hour, disconnecting and then reconnecting quickly and falling to a very lower speed would not make sense. But this has happened many times!
It feels like restarting my connection gives a random outcome on my speed.