Check if ECC is enabled (Windows 7)

Vandroiy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I got myself some ECC RAM now. So, I booted into memtest86+. First, it showed DDR-400 Non-ECC (What the ***?), on the second boot DDR-1333 ECC (yep, that's what I set it to).

So I'm like, WTF memtest86+, make up your mind? Oh, whatever, I'll just boot Windows and use CPU-Z. But CPU-Z shows nothing. :( The SPD->Correction field is just grayed out as if it was non-ECC.

Is ECC off now? On? How do I get my ECC correction count?

Help! :sweat:

The CPU-z 'SPD' tab should show your error correction; keep in mind it just retrieves the JEDEC information. In order to 'use' ECC RAM both your MOBO and CPU must support ECC; e.g. Intel Xeon and AMD Opteron. Otherwise you can get oddball Memstest86+ readings on different boots, also I know the Memtest supports some chipsets and not others - this ECC bug has come up before.

The ECC is very limited with Memtest -> http://www.memtest86.com/tech.html

Vandroiy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Good to hear that it's probably memtest failing sometimes, not ECC being switched off at random.

I use a Phenom II 965 on a Sabertooth 990FX. By official on-line specs, both support dual channel DDR3-1333 ECC as well as non-ECC RAM, as long as it's unbuffered. The manual doesn't say anything about ECC, but there's a setting in UEFI, too. If ECC is not supported, my board or CPU is broken, I care little whether by design or not.

But what I really need is a way to check whether ECC works from Windows, and get the ECC error count! The memory error detection feature goes to waste if I can't see the results!

There's also a temperature sensor on there, but I can't see the data. Blind diagnostics!

Vandroiy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

The CPU-Z 'SPD' tab is just grey on the error correction stuff. I don't believe that means "off", it rather looks like "lol no data" to me.

What do you mean with "this ECC bug has come up before"? ECC not showing even though it is enabled? As I said, often memtest86+ shows ECC just fine. I can enable and disable it for the testing, and it looks normal. But as the RAM doesn't produce any errors ( :) ), I can't really tell when/if ECC does anything or whether Windows would report that.

Vandroiy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

If ECC is on, there should be an event for each error. I'm still browsing that site, but I don't see where I can check that ECC is on and has not produced an error.

Sure, I could just go on and assume my RAM is perfect AND soft-error proof now. But what if in reality ECC isn't even turned on and it's producing errors without me knowing?

Vandroiy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
running memtest86+ a few more times, it showed ECC capability every time.

I suppose when it showed DDR-400 non-ECC, that was just the program going haywire for some reason. I can't imagine my board underclocking my memory to DDR-400 anyways.

Also, within the .txt report of CPU-Z, I see the following entry:

DMI Physical Memory Array
usage: System Memory
correction: Multi-bit ECC
max capacity: 32768 MBytes
max# of devices: 4

It appears as if the entry is showing some combination of board and controller capabilities and the current mode the RAM is in... not very clear, but looking good.

Which leaves me with the point that I lack a neat GUI showing RAM state and corrected/detected ECC errors.

wwest_32

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

That implies that with non-ECC I could expect an undected/ubndetectabe memory error within 48 hours?

How long before the disk data get corrupted?