Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
  • Computers
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2012 12:18:22 PM

I have an external hard drive that freezes my computer (running windows 7) every time i use it. I tried using it on other computers and it seems to run fine. Those computers were running OS from windows xp - windows 8.

I have tried it on all ports on the computer. It recognizes the external drive, and I am able to explore it; though, when i transfer files to my computer it freezes.

I don't understand, please help.

More about : external harddrive error

December 10, 2012 2:32:22 PM

may be power issue, does it freezes on all usb port in your desktop, have you tried with rear usb port.. also make sure you desktop has grounded properly..
m
l
December 10, 2012 2:44:48 PM

manojgj said:
may be power issue, does it freezes on all usb port in your desktop, have you tried with rear usb port.. also make sure you desktop has grounded properly..

What do you mean when you say "make sure you desktop has grounded properly"?
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2012 11:00:57 PM

manojgj said:
power supply ,, grounding/earthing( are you kidding me)

http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-Yourself-to-Avoid-Destroy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system

yeah. thats what i thought. just making sure we were thinking the same thing. I use a power bar to ground the computer. The computer i am using is a recent model so I am pretty sure it has a grounded system already built in. Plus, I really don't think it has anything to do with grounding.I guess i did not mention this but it worked perfectly fine before with out any problems. Here is the story: bought new computer, tried external hard drive on it, does not work. After about six months I am able to use my external hard drive perfectly with no problems on the same computer. Few months later re-installed the OS and it does not work anymore. Same location, same computer, same external hard drive.
m
l
!