Sign in with
Your question

Pile of HDDs

Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2012 1:16:26 PM

What do people (if you deal with many machines) do with old HDDs? I've built my family computers for years and I have half a dozen drives sitting around from 20Gb to 200Gb.

More about : pile hdds

December 10, 2012 1:24:25 PM

format and sell them...If they work.

If they don't bin em.
m
l
a c 132 G Storage
December 10, 2012 1:38:28 PM

a lot people now sell then for there scrap value. the larger drives and an older mb with sata ports can be turned into a media storage unit for the home.
m
l
Related resources
a c 323 G Storage
December 10, 2012 6:18:55 PM

If they don't work, and if their PCBs are good, then sell the latter on Ebay.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 10, 2012 6:22:03 PM

I build storage dumps. And the machine that runs them is off most of the time till it's dump time. If it's off then it can't break. Making a great backup machine =D
m
l
December 11, 2012 2:15:21 AM

If you do decide to dump them and you don't want any of your data to get into the wrong hands (given that you have things you care about on your drives), then I would suggest opening up the hard drives and taking out the hard drive platters and keeping them somewhere (they take up virtually no space and are substantially smaller than a whole hard drive). That's what I had to do for a company when I was interning with them and that's what I would recommend to anyone that is data sensitive. Because no matter how many times you format a drive, there is always data there that is recoverable.
m
l
September 22, 2013 7:14:45 AM

i finally found a good solution... there's a local guy that takes parts and rebuilds computers for needy children. Hard drives are the most needed item. He really appreciated the 8 drives and 4 mobos that I gave him...
m
l
a c 323 G Storage
September 22, 2013 12:06:05 PM

Kudos to you.
m
l
a c 925 G Storage
September 22, 2013 12:10:44 PM

I take them apart and scrap them.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 22, 2013 9:48:55 PM

I'm in a similar problem, so far I have mainly just left them lying around in case I do end up needing them (NAS build I have planned).

musicmanil said:
If you do decide to dump them and you don't want any of your data to get into the wrong hands (given that you have things you care about on your drives), then I would suggest opening up the hard drives and taking out the hard drive platters and keeping them somewhere

I assume you haven't heard of a hammers use in data security :D 
Smash the drive, you cant exactly pull data off of shards of HDD platter.
m
l
September 25, 2013 4:06:45 AM

manofchalk said:
I'm in a similar problem, so far I have mainly just left them lying around in case I do end up needing them (NAS build I have planned).

musicmanil said:
If you do decide to dump them and you don't want any of your data to get into the wrong hands (given that you have things you care about on your drives), then I would suggest opening up the hard drives and taking out the hard drive platters and keeping them somewhere

I assume you haven't heard of a hammers use in data security :D 
Smash the drive, you cant exactly pull data off of shards of HDD platter.

If you REALLY REALLY want to and have access to an Atomic Force Microscope you actually can retrieve data from the shards of platter. Granted it is highly unlikely, but it CAN be done.
m
l
!