Battery status icon in system tray: how?

Recently bought my first laptop. I've had plenty of experience of using
these in the past, through work, and always it was possible to configure a
small icon denoting the battery charge in the system tray. I'm now running
Win XP home (SP2) and can't find a way of achieving this extremely useful
function. Can anybody help?

I do have an icon for power options, which I can click on and work through
to find the battery status, but it isn't the same...

Thanks
David
18 answers Last reply
More about battery status icon system tray

    "Lobster" <davidlobsterpot601@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >small icon denoting the battery charge in the system tray.

    It's a Power option under Control Panel.

    It doesn't turn into a battery icon unless you disconnect AC power...

    Your only way is to find a third-party software that offers that
    function.

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Lobster" <davidlobsterpot601@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>small icon denoting the battery charge in the system tray.
    >
    > It's a Power option under Control Panel.

    Yes that's the same Power Options I mentioned; but when I check the box
    which says "icon on toolbar" or whatever, all I get is the Power Options
    icon, not the battery itself.

    David

    Hillinsilence wrote:
    > Your only way is to find a third-party software that offers that
    > function.

    This contradicts the other replyers, who reckon I should be able to see
    this icon with Windows software. Who's right? :-)

    David

    sleezy beetch wrote:
    > It doesn't turn into a battery icon unless you disconnect AC power...

    Sure, but I don't see it even when AC power IS disconnected!

    David

    Lobster wrote:
    > sleezy beetch wrote:
    >
    >> It doesn't turn into a battery icon unless you disconnect AC power...
    >>

    > Sure, but I don't see it even when AC power IS disconnected!
    >
    > David
    Seems to me you should ask this question on this NG, where somebody will
    probably know the answer. Specify whether this problem developped after
    you installed SP2. Good luck.

    --
    John Doue

    Now I know what do you mean :-). Your problem is, whatever if you
    connect the AC adapter or not, the battery icon would never shown on
    your taskbar, is it?

    Perhaps you will check your CMOS settings, see if there's some settings
    about this and you made wrong decision.

    Also I'm now contacting to the Microsoft Techinical Support, maybe they
    can solve this problem.

    John Doue wrote:
    > Lobster wrote:
    > > sleezy beetch wrote:
    > >
    > >> It doesn't turn into a battery icon unless you disconnect AC
    power...

    > > Sure, but I don't see it even when AC power IS disconnected!
    > >
    > > David
    > Seems to me you should ask this question on this NG, where somebody
    will
    > probably know the answer. Specify whether this problem developped
    after
    > you installed SP2. Good luck.

    > --
    > John Doue

    The truth is that, you can see at most a plugger icon on the system
    tray if you enabled the "Always show icon on taskbar" while you are
    using an AC adapter, and you can see at most a battery icon there if
    you are using a battery. So, if Microsoft doesn't offer the function
    you described above, you can only use a third party software to achieve
    that.

    Lobster wrote:
    > Recently bought my first laptop. I've had plenty of experience of
    using
    > these in the past, through work, and always it was possible to
    configure a
    > small icon denoting the battery charge in the system tray. I'm now
    running
    > Win XP home (SP2) and can't find a way of achieving this extremely
    useful
    > function. Can anybody help?
    >
    > I do have an icon for power options, which I can click on and work
    through
    > to find the battery status, but it isn't the same...

    What isn't the same exactly? Does the icon show as a plug icon that
    doesn't ever change or something?

    Well, here is the answer.
    Follow these steps and you'll solve your problem.
    1.Open "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel
    2.Click "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the left of the window
    3.Select "Network service" and click "Detail"
    4.Remove the tick in front of the item "UPnP user interface"
    5.Click OK, click Next, reboot after finished.
    6.If your problem remains, contact your power/battery manufacture for
    new softwares to install.

    Notice: the strings mentioned above may not be exactly as they are on
    your computer, this is just a translation, I'm using a Simplified
    Chinese version of Windows XP SP2.

    Lobster wrote:
    > Well thank you - that works!!
    >
    > What's the reason for this - a Microsoft bug? (surely not...)
    >
    > Unfortunately, I need to have UPnP enabled for full functionality of
    > MS-Messenger, so I guess this means I have to decide which is more
    > important... :-(

    A lot of Dell users have reported this problem, myself, I stopped the
    problem by uninstalling Dell's QuickSet (as it was a pain in my ass
    anyway). Using the Windows XP utilities just by themselves. The only
    things I have to add to that are:

    When starting the computer you can't (for some reason) have your WiFi
    card inserted into the PCMCIA slot at the time of computer start.
    When installing new drivers, software, etc, you'll sometimes find your
    icons won't show up properly directly after a system change. Log off
    your account on XP, log back in, and they should be there.

    That is what works for me.

    As far as why this happens, I'm not entirely sure (as far as I know no
    one is). It is certainly a bug, you can try doing some of the
    following though...

    Go into your services (under Admin tools in the control panel) and
    disable UPnP host, your computer doesn't need to HOST UPnP capabilities
    unless you are running ICS and people behind your system on the network
    need to UPnP their way to the network.

    Also, switch UPnP support in the services to manual. This will start
    it when its required and not when you're not using it (in theory).

    Cyclops wrote:
    > Lobster wrote:
    >>I do have an icon for power options, which I can click on and work
    > through to find the battery status, but it isn't the same...
    >

    > What isn't the same exactly? Does the icon show as a plug icon that
    > doesn't ever change or something?

    I meant, "...isn't the same as having a little battery icon which
    displays your remaining charge in real time."

    Actually, though, what I wrote was slightly misleading in that the icon
    in my system tray is actually for "Dell Quickset" - it's just a
    front-end for a series of often-used XP utilities... I meant I have to
    click on the "Quickset" icon, then I get a menu option, one of which is
    'Power Options' - which takes me into the same XP program I would
    otherwise view via Control Panel.

    David

    Lobster wrote:
    > Hillinsilence wrote:
    >
    >> Well, here is the answer.
    >> Follow these steps and you'll solve your problem.
    >> 1.Open "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel
    >> 2.Click "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the left of the window
    >> 3.Select "Network service" and click "Detail"
    >> 4.Remove the tick in front of the item "UPnP user interface"
    >> 5.Click OK, click Next, reboot after finished.
    >> 6.If your problem remains, contact your power/battery manufacture for
    >> new softwares to install.
    >>
    >> Notice: the strings mentioned above may not be exactly as they are on
    >> your computer, this is just a translation, I'm using a Simplified
    >> Chinese version of Windows XP SP2.
    >>

    > Well thank you - that works!!
    >
    > What's the reason for this - a Microsoft bug? (surely not...)
    >
    > Unfortunately, I need to have UPnP enabled for full functionality of
    > MS-Messenger, so I guess this means I have to decide which is more
    > important... :-(
    >
    > David
    This tip is so interesting - and so unexpected - I suggest you share it
    on > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

    Regards

    As Microsoft's support says(I called them at their 800 phone), it's
    because of the power management program don't stay peacely with the
    UPnP device.

    Hillinsilence wrote:
    > As Microsoft's support says(I called them at their 800 phone), it's
    > because of the power management program don't stay peacely with the
    > UPnP device.

    That is bull... I disabled all of the UPnP devices on my network, even
    blocked those ports in the router, no devices could be detected no
    matter what and it still happened to me while I had the factory setup
    on my Dell.

    I've no idea, I've never used some devices that supports UPnP. The only
    thing I know about it is if I enable it in BitSpirit, BitSpirit will
    not response while loading =)

Battery Laptops