New to Motherboards, Need Help

triggrhappy94

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Like the title of the thread suggests, I'm new to computer parts and I'm trying to figure out how choose a motherboard. I've figured out PCI slots (kind of), and what socket type I'm looking at. I read something about FSB, but I didn't really get it. Can people help, and tell me what I need to know about mobos.

If it helps you guys at all, I'm trying to match a mobo for AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I won't say I'm an expert on motherboards but I do look for certain things on a motherboard to check for component capability.

After deciding on what whether you want an Intel or AMD chipset, you have to look that the motherboard supports the correct socket. The AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE will fit into a AM3 socket.

If you plan to buy an sort of graphics card to put into your build then you have to look for the appropriate slots, PCI, PCIe, or PCIe x16. Each type of slot will only transfer so much data at one time so most modern graphics cards would go into a PCIe x16 slot since it transfers the most data out of the three. If you are planning to or plan to in the future run Crossfire or SLI then you have to have two PCIe x16 slots.

At least two RAM slots for RAM sticks would suffice but most modern motherboards have 4 slots so you can have a total of anywhere from 4GB (4 x 1GB) to 16GB (4 x 4GB).

SATA connections are good too since they allow you to connect CD/DVD drives and HDD to your motherboard so that you have an OS to run.

The physical form factor should be considered too if you plan to buy any case size smaller than a mid-tower since there are specific sizes of motherboards for specific sized cases (microATX specifically).

Aside from those things I believe its up to you to make a judgement call on what brand of motherboard you feel comfortable with.