Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2x 3-4GB or 1x 6-4GB memory which is better?

Last response: in Memory
July 21, 2011 12:43:05 AM

I am wondering about compatibility of a memory upgrade and just a question in general about upgrading memory. If your end goal is to get 24 GB using 6 DIMM does it matter what you do?

In the system for 24 GB according to the documentation it would run in tri-channel mode. The sets I am looking to upgrade are noted as having two different Multi-channel Kit values. The set of 3 DIMM x 4 GB value is tri channel (which I would get two of) and the set of 6 DIMM x 4 GB's value for this is hex channel mode. Does this matter?

I found a post where the MFG wrote, "This is the risk when attempting multiple kits. Not all kits can mix and match together, which is why we offer fully tested kits that are guaranteed to work. If you know you need 24GB, it is best to purchase a 24GB kit since purchasing two 12GB kits is not guaranteed. Two 12GB kits may be cheaper, but our 24GB kit is more expensive for a reason."

I thought it was fairly common to just buy two sets and put them all in versus buying one, is this bad practice? Does it matter? If it does is it common?

And does the Multi-Channel kit value matter being hex, if your system says it would run 24 GB in tri mode would they be compatible or would this be an issue?

Thank you for your time.

(Edited for grammar)

More about : 4gb 4gb memory

a b } Memory
July 21, 2011 12:56:03 AM

Well it depends on what motherboard you have, which you failed to mention. I'm assuming this is an X58?? They are the only boards the run triple channel. I have never heard of quad channel, unless it's a very new server or something.

m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2011 1:51:13 AM

jaquith said:
Crucial {ECC} -> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Preci...

Otherwise {non ECC w/Xeon**} -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|20-226-096^20-226-096-TS%2C20-226-100^20-226-100-TS%2C20-231-405^20-231-405-TS%2C20-226-192^20-226-192-TS

**DDR3 1333 has a lower error rate.

Are you implying that it would be necessary to get the tri channel value ones instead of the hex for compliance? Also some of the one you listed are DDR3 1600 which are not supported by the system according to - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wsT3500/e...
m
l
July 21, 2011 1:52:21 AM

geekapproved said:
Well it depends on what motherboard you have, which you failed to mention. I'm assuming this is an X58?? They are the only boards the run triple channel. I have never heard of quad channel, unless it's a very new server or something.

Thank you for the reply. Considering an Intel X58 chipset how would you respond?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
July 21, 2011 2:08:49 AM

There's no such a thing as "2x 3-4GB or 1x 6-4GB" ; DDR3 is 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB there are 8GB sticks but your Dell is limited to 4GB/stick density.

If your goal is 24GB then start with 12GB and get 3X4GB and later add another set of the SAME EXACT 3x4GB set; adding several 1X4GB, single, is not advisable nor is 3x(2x4GB). Simply, Matched sets of 3 sticks.

Here's the configurations available for you LGA 1366 MOBO:
m
l
July 21, 2011 2:27:53 AM

jaquith said:
There's no such a thing as "2x 3-4GB or 1x 6-4GB" ; DDR3 is 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB there are 8GB sticks but your Dell is limited to 4GB/stick density.

If your goal is 24GB then start with 12GB and get 3X4GB and later add another set of the SAME EXACT 3x4GB set; adding several 1X4GB, single, is not advisable nor is 3x(2x4GB). Simply, Matched sets of 3 sticks.

Here's the configurations available for you LGA 1366 MOBO:
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/DDR3_GA.jpg

I am sorry if I cause confusion with "2x 3-4GB or 1x 6-4GB." What I was intending to say was to get 24 GB from the start is it better to buy two packages of 3 DIMM 4GB, or 1 package of 6 DIMM 4 GB. Would a set like this even be compatible http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ? Since it says it is "Multi-channel Kit: Hexa-Channel Kit "

The MFG post about not combining two sets has worried me.

And thank you for your time.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
July 21, 2011 3:57:33 AM

Correct, ideally the best choice is a fully matched set of 6x4GB, and it is the only guaranteed choice of >1333 MHz. The GSKILL set should be fine.
m
l
July 21, 2011 4:19:24 AM

Thank you for the reply. It does not matter though that it is noted as:

"Multi-channel Kit: Hexa-Channel Kit"

and not as tri-Channel Kit? This will not cause an issue?

Just trying to bee 100% sure of compatibility as I will not be able to return it if it does not work, for reasons out of my control.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 21, 2011 4:53:06 AM

In this case, they just mean that it's a kit with six sticks. It will work as triple-channel in your board.
m
l
July 21, 2011 5:22:49 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
In this case, they just mean that it's a kit with six sticks. It will work as triple-channel in your board.

Thank you kindly for explaining that, you never know for sure with these things.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 21, 2011 5:51:24 AM

what matters is the timing of the sticks, and that they match. On the inside of your case you should have a paper with important information about your computer including your admin password (if it is new or not often used), your memory timings and speeds, proc buss and clock, and HDD sizes and interfaces. Then, when your computer breaks, you have easy reference for replacement parts.

1600 or 1333 doesn't matter, most DDR3 is the same inside and will run just fine at lower clock speeds. It is merely a rating for it's max speed. You can go faster (though not much) or you can go slower, the ram doesn't care, and the mobo will auto assign what it thinks is best. This has been true from the PC 66/100/133 days, through DDR1, DDR2, and DDR3.
What does matter are your clock timings. Weather you buy single sticks, or 3packs or a 6pack doesn't matter (keeping the same brand doesn't technically matter, though I wouldn't do it), so long as you have the same timings. So buy a 3 pack now (it is triple DDR, so at least maximize your throughput and get your money's worth), and if you find that it is not enough you can always get more later, it truly is no big deal.

Lets consider what would happen if you mismatched your memory; either the mobo will run everything at the lowest common setting and you get a small performance hit, or you get a memory mismatch and the computer will not post. It will not do any permanent damage, just remove the new ram, and exchange it for a different set until you get what you need.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 21, 2011 3:46:44 PM

The 4th one down on the supported memory configuration list is incorrect.

You can't run in Tri channel with 4 dimms in 4 slots, that would be dual channel.

There is no quad channel configuration, not sure where your getting that from.
m
l

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
July 21, 2011 4:41:06 PM

@GeekApproved - Don't know what you're referring to from above. LGA 1366 can run Single Channel (1 stick), Dual Channel (2 or 4 sticks), and Tri Channel (3 or 6 sticks). Similarly, the LGA 2011 with it's Quad Channel 1~4 sticks.

@caedenv - I don't share the laissez faire approach to 'slamming in the sticks' and hoping for the best. As I stated, DDR3 1333 seems to be fairly resistant in most cases with the same CAS & Voltage of working together at fully Rated speeds and CAS, but DDR3 1600 or faster is a hit or miss. What's to point of purchasing DDR3 1600 just to have it run at DDR3 1333 speeds.

There are three things that can happen: the primary DIMM slot(s) will pickup the 'SPD' information and either under/over clock the timings for the remainders, Post Failure, or simply the BIOS will shutdown the DIMM(s) and in most cases 1/2 the memory a/k/a 'Lost Memory.' Therefore, ideally it's best to have a 6-stick matched set and secondly two matching 3-sticks sets. My servers I do have a 'box' filled with DDR3 1333 4GB Registered memory same Mfg, CAS and Voltage.
a b } Memory
July 21, 2011 5:28:45 PM

Quote:
@GeekApproved - Don't know what you're referring to from above. LGA 1366 can run Single Channel (1 stick), Dual Channel (2 or 4 sticks), and Tri Channel (3 or 6 sticks). Similarly, the LGA 2011 with it's Quad Channel 1~4 sticks.

Yeah I know it can run single, dual and tri. He's asking if he should run quad channel or not, his platform doesn't have the option of quad channel.

The Dell memory configuration chart he linked, for 4GB it shows a 1gb dimm in all 4 slots and says "tri channel". That's a mistake. It should say "dual channel".

m
l
July 21, 2011 5:46:02 PM

geekapproved said:
Quote:

Yeah I know it can run single, dual and tri. He's asking if he should run quad channel or not, his platform doesn't have the option of quad channel.

The Dell memory configuration chart he linked, for 4GB it shows a 1gb dimm in all 4 slots and says "tri channel". That's a mistake. It should say "dual channel".

I was asking about tri / hexa, which and is it better to use 2 sets 3 purchased individually or one set of 6, which has been answered.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 21, 2011 5:47:37 PM

Oh my appologies, I thought you said quad channel.

There is no quad channel, 6 dimms is still tri channel. Tri is faster than dual or single channel obviously.
m
l
July 21, 2011 5:53:31 PM

geekapproved said:
Oh my appologies, I thought you said quad channel.

There is no quad channel, 6 dimms is still tri channel. Tri is faster than dual or single channel obviously.

It is no problem, yes I was not sure, caused some confusion. Thanks for the reply.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
July 21, 2011 6:53:51 PM

So we're all good. :) 
m
l
July 21, 2011 10:48:02 PM

Best answer selected by haebooty.
m
l
July 22, 2011 7:57:39 AM

im confused in choosing my mobo for my i5 2500k processor ..gtx 560ti gpu which is best these board MSI P67A-GD55 vs asus p8p67 pro ..i will overclock my cpu to 4ghz ..and i will buy a factory overclocked gpu gtx560ti from asus..i will not sli my card.. im not sure whether i will overclock my cpu or not is MSI P67A-GD55 for my specs..im using corsair 600w psu and 4gb corsair vengeance ram
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
July 23, 2011 1:01:33 PM

vishalaestro said:
im confused in choosing my mobo for my i5 2500k processor ..gtx 560ti gpu which is best these board MSI P67A-GD55 vs asus p8p67 pro

IMO the MSI P67A-GD55 is the better choice; ASUS for whatever reason has not been producing stellar P67/Z68 MOBOs - maybe the BT is the problem. You can adjust the OC on almost ANY GPU; use MSI Afterburner -> http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
m
l
!