Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Raid 0

Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2012 5:48:25 PM

Hello;

I want to set raid 0 on 2 x 250gb hard drives, but i don't want to use their full space(500gb) for the raid array. I've read before that you can for ex. set 200gb for raid array, and use the rest 300gb as regular partitions. Is that possible?, and how to set it while installing OS?

thanks for your help...

Regards.

More about : raid

a c 89 G Storage
December 10, 2012 6:01:17 PM

The raid will create 500GB of space. Out of that space you can create a 200GB boot partition, and a 300GB data partition, but the drives themselves(the whole drive) will be part of the raid.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 6:10:41 PM

ss202sl said:
The raid will create 500GB of space. Out of that space you can create a 200GB boot partition, and a 300GB data partition, but the drives themselves(the whole drive) will be part of the raid.

Hello ss202sl;

Thanks for your fast reply.

So if one hard disk fails then all the data of the 500gb will be corrupted?, also how come raid 0+1 is possible on 2 hard drives?, wouldn't one hard disk failure destroy data made by raid 0 and raid 1?

Regards.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 10, 2012 6:58:51 PM

If you worry about your data you should have a backup software and do periodic backups, whether you have raid 0 or not. A backup software should be standard software on your pc along with a good internet security software.
m
l
a c 89 G Storage
December 10, 2012 7:22:25 PM

Raid 0 + 1 is 2 striped plus 2 other drives(also striped) as a mirror. a total of 4 drives. There may be some hybrid setup that can raid partitions on the drive itself, but then you wouldn't have 500 GB anymore.

Raid 1 is a mirror (Same data on bothe drives). The raid would only have 250GB of space, but can still operate with 1 drive failed.

If all you want is to use 2 drives and have 500GB of space you could just create a jbod and you'll have 500GB. If you lose 1 drive you only lose the data on that drive. You still have data loss, and would still have to rely on backups.

Raid is not a backup, and was never intended to be a backup.
m
l
December 10, 2012 7:34:23 PM

ss202sl said:
Raid 0 + 1 is 2 striped plus 2 other drives(also striped) as a mirror. a total of 4 drives. There may be some hybrid setup that can raid partitions on the drive itself, but then you wouldn't have 500 GB anymore.

Raid 1 is a mirror (Same data on bothe drives). The raid would only have 250GB of space, but can still operate with 1 drive failed.

If all you want is to use 2 drives and have 500GB of space you could just create a jbod and you'll have 500GB. If you lose 1 drive you only lose the data on that drive. You still have data loss, and would still have to rely on backups.

Raid is not a backup, and was never intended to be a backup.

Hi ss202sl;

One last question. In the bios while setting raid, there is an option called capacity where you could choose either full capacity of both drives, or you can choose a certain gb amount for ex 300gb, now my question is if I choose 300gb as capacity (which is not full capacity of 2 x 250gb drives), the left 200gb space would it be treated as a raid 0, or will it be treated as different volume independent from raid 0, and accessible if raid 0 failed?

Thanks for your help.

Regards.
m
l

Best solution

a c 89 G Storage
December 10, 2012 8:40:08 PM

It would probably be wasted(lost) space. You could set it up, using 150GB of each disk(300GB total), and start Windows install, and when it asks where to install, you would be able to look at the disks available and see what it does with the extra space.

My instinct is that you'll only see only 300GB, and 100GB on each drive would be unavailable - or lost. This is like taking a 250GB drive and raiding it with a 500GB drive. You would lose 250GB on the 500GB drive.
December 11, 2012 5:19:05 AM

Best answer selected by jhafner.
m
l
!